The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2 questions on axle and king pin rod (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195972)

Barber31 05-08-2016 08:52 PM

2 questions on axle and king pin rod

Is there a front or back to the front axle? My King pin locking key will only go in from the back but the nut is supposed to be on the backside.

Second question. Looking from the front, is the King pin actuating rod supposed to be angled out when installed? I tightened the actuating wedge as much as possible to try and line up the rod but now the roller pins won't sit on either side of the wedge like they're supposed too.

Barber31 05-08-2016 09:31 PM

Re: 2 questions on axle and king pin rod

Figured out my roller problem. Got them to seat properly.

Tom Wesenberg 05-08-2016 10:54 PM

The axle should fit either way.

Barber31 05-09-2016 12:34 AM

Thanks Tom. That's what I was thinkin. I thought I had read it somewhere before but just wanted to make sure before I bore the hole out a bit.

Tom Wesenberg 05-09-2016 06:07 AM

I'm surprised more rods and cones for checking front axles don't show up for use or for sale.
I'd even think someone would be making new axle straightness check kits for sale.
I know Ken E. has a set, and I think Kurt has a set, but I've never seen a set for sale.

Joe K 05-09-2016 06:56 AM

If you look at the kingpin retaining pin, you realize that the body of the pin is "straight." If the kingpin isn't in place the retaining pin can slip right through the axle. (later pins without the "nut.")

It's the little "ramp" or wedge on the retaining pin which holds both kingpin and retainer in position. BUT - you have to have the nut on the correct side of the axle to get the angular orientation of the wedge correct to make the pins line up with the brake lever housing. Get the retaining pin backwards and the brake parts don't go together.

Thusly the axle has no "orientation." But the retaining pins do. (maybe not so for early axles but very much so for the early pins.)

And yes, to reinforce Tom's comment about the cones/tester. Almost ALL Model A front axles have some sort of "bend" to them. Usually winding around the spring perch/wishbone attachment with the wheel "rearward." Some of this, perhaps all, can be compensated in wheel alignment. Which is why there hasn't been much call for "testing."

Joe K

Barber31 05-09-2016 08:19 AM

Thank you.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-09-2016 09:37 AM

Amazing how a little communication can clear up a VERY FRUSTRATING "problem"!
Chief said, "There's always an answer/reason for a MYSTERY"
Chiefs' Son