The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Update, Rear Brake Drum Install Over New Emergency Brake Bands (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293614)

Ed in Maine 01-27-2021 02:32 PM

Update, Rear Brake Drum Install Over New Emergency Brake Bands

Like anything else there is a trick to getting the rear drum to go over new emergency brake bands. There is a sharp edge on the new lining. I sanded a slight 45 chamfer on the outside edge. With the drum properly lined up on the keyway, I forcibly pushed the drum on. In my case I was so surprised to find the drum went all the way on, job almost finished! Ed

kwisor 01-27-2021 05:11 PM

Re: Update, Rear Brake Drum Install Over New Emergency Brake Bands

thanks i will be doing mine this weekend
kevin

TerryO 01-27-2021 07:04 PM

I have been trying to get my new cast iron drums on for a while...New linings on service brakes and new emergency brake linings. The emergency brake linings look totally different then any I have seen and they seem too thick...This is on a long term restoration so I just mess with it every now and then. Just yesterday I decided to dig out some old bands and try them but I didn't get to try today...maybe tomorrow...

TOB

ahirt 01-28-2021 09:12 AM

"I have been trying to get my new cast iron drums on for a while...New linings on service brakes and new emergency brake linings. The emergency brake linings look totally different then any I have seen and they seem too thick...This is on a long term restoration so I just mess with it every now and then. Just yesterday I decided to dig out some old bands and try them but I didn't get to try today...maybe tomorrow..."

I had the same problem recently. Finally just had old e-brake bands relined. The drums slid on effortlessly with them.

redmodelt 01-28-2021 10:53 AM

Question I would ask all of you; were the drums turned/trued to the proper diameter before trying to install? If so were they checked? We have been using the woven lining from Snyder's for both the service and parking brakes with new cast iron drums that have been trued and turned to the proper diameter with no real issues. Did you arc the service lining to the drum and taper the ends of service and parking brakes?

MAG 01-28-2021 06:34 PM

Use same method as redmodelt with same results..Drum service brake should be 11' dia. If my memory serves me right the ebrake dia is 9 5/8". Check an old drum to be sure.

dpson 01-28-2021 07:12 PM

I struggled getting the rear drums on too. Everything was new, backing plates, drums, shoes, etc. Finally replaced the new emergency brake shoes with the old ones and the drums slid right on. The new e-brake shoes appear to be another poor fitting replacement part.

TerryO 01-28-2021 09:31 PM

[QUOTEQuestion I would ask all of you; were the drums turned/trued to the proper diameter before trying to install? If so were they checked? We have been using the woven lining from Snyder's for both the service and parking brakes with new cast iron drums that have been trued and turned to the proper diameter with no real issues. Did you arc the service lining to the drum and taper the ends of service and parking brakes? ][/QUOTE]

Yes..

TOB