The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil in intake ports (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304734)

doug.nichols 10-04-2021 01:11 PM

Oil in intake ports

1 Attachment(s)
I am taking parts of my existing engine in preparation for the delivery of a new long block. Babbitt bearings took a poop. In removing the manifolds, I noticed oil in the intake ports. What might that be indicative of? Picture attached.

Rodrelic 10-04-2021 04:25 PM

Re: Oil in intake ports

My guess came up around valve stems, looks like exhaust ports pretty clean & even burn. New motor will clear that up. Edit: good valve fit should stop crankcase being sucked on

doug.nichols 10-04-2021 04:55 PM

thanks rodrelic

Synchro909 10-04-2021 06:20 PM

Could be just fuel residue if the last time it was run, it was turned off before it got thoroughly warmed up. Fuel these days is nothing like the fuel they used in 1930.

old ugly 10-05-2021 08:46 PM

hi doug.nichols i have an unrelated question.
i see you have the full flow oil filter, how clean is the bottom of the side oil gallery by the lifters? has the filter done a good job filtering the oil?
ou

Werner 10-06-2021 10:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Old Ugly,

I'm not asked, but maybe my hint about the oil filter will help you a little? I had the oil filter cartridge opened and squeezed out in an aerospace maintenance company using a special chipless filter cutter.

The trapped dirt was rinsed out and examined for metal chips and hard carbon residues, etc.

What you can see here was after about 2000 miles with my previously overhauled engine.

old ugly 10-06-2021 10:45 AM

i have one on my car that i just installed, the engine was clean inside before i put it on. just curious about its affect.
what brand of filter did you use. not that that matters much as any filter is better than none.
ou

doug.nichols 10-06-2021 10:53 AM

old ugly, I have not opened things up far enough yet to answer your question...

Werner 10-06-2021 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by old ugly (Post 2064117)
... what brand of filter did you use.
ou

ou, I use a litle filter named " MANN 77-2 ". It is not too finely meshed, so that even thick-tough oil is pumped into the valve chambers during cold starts. It also has a high bypass back pressure so that this pressure relief valve opens as late as possible.

redmodelt 10-06-2021 06:33 PM

I have a Model T engine that I just pulled down with the same issue, but in my case, one of the spring keeper pins had gone missing, so one of the intake valves was floating allowing oil to be pulled up along the stem. When you do pull the side cover, check for weak or broken spring on 1 and 2 cylinders intake springs.

Dan Partain 10-06-2021 10:36 PM

Did you run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas before you took it apart?