The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   6 volt positive ground tachometer (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174279)

RobR'35 07-26-2015 07:06 AM

6 volt positive ground tachometer

I'm curious if there's been a 6V positive ground tach produced in the past and who the manufacturers were.Also if a reproduction of quality is made today?

Blu Dice 07-26-2015 07:30 AM

Re: 6 volt positive ground tachometer

Google is your friend - there out there, but expensive.

Planojc 07-26-2015 07:48 AM

I have Westach 6v Tach's on all my cars. http://www.westach.com/

JM 35 Sedan 07-26-2015 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planojc (Post 1127650)
I have Westach 6v Tach's on all my cars. http://www.westach.com/

Just curious to know if this is the Westach tachometer you are using?

Model: ***2CT54-6V
Price: *****$124.65*
Tachometer 5,000 RPM, 2" round, std pt ign, 4 imp/rev ( 8 cyl ), 6 volt, pos or neg grd

Walt Dupont--Me. 07-26-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobR'35 (Post 1127630)
I'm curious if there's been a 6V positive ground tach produced in the past and who the manufacturers were.Also if a reproduction of quality is made today?

Back in the early 70's I had a 53 rag top 6 volt system, it had a Sunnen tach, it had about 6in. square box on the fire wall that went with the tach. Walt

Steves46 07-26-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1127671)
Just curious to know if this is the Westach tachometer you are using?

Model: ***2CT54-6V
Price: *****$124.65*
Tachometer 5,000 RPM, 2" round, std pt ign, 4 imp/rev ( 8 cyl ), 6 volt, pos or neg grd

Hi John.

That looks like the one I have in my 46; I really like having it for it keeps me in-check when I'm cruising on the freeway.

JM 35 Sedan 07-26-2015 12:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves46 (Post 1127700)
Hi John.

That looks like the one I have in my 46; I really like having it for it keeps me in-check when I'm cruising on the freeway.

RobR'35, sorry if I am hijacking your post a bit, but this may be good info for you also.

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. Did you use one of Westach's accessory mounting brackets as pictured below?

Mike in AZ 07-26-2015 03:28 PM

As Walt said...Sun tach with 6V, 8 cylinder sender on the firewall....can shop epay and find the 5K football tach to mount on dash or steering column.....EB1a sender....then you have to find someone to convert the sender from the old battery to new battery....can get expensive......have fun....Mike

link to 6K tach.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SUN-...60a689&vxp=mtr

link to sender....http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SUN-TACH...b09d93&vxp=mtr

flathead 53 07-26-2015 04:33 PM

Westach in calif ,got one for my 40 coupe,looks great works great , about $140.00 with the mounting cup.

4dFord/SC 07-26-2015 06:09 PM

I found this vintage Sun "Football" tach on eBay and had it converted to solid state by Williamson's Instruments.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...C/IMG_3043.jpg

Steves46 07-26-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1127815)
RobR'35, sorry if I am hijacking your post a bit, but this may be good info for you also.

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. Did you use one of Westach's accessory mounting brackets as pictured below?

John, I used the cup for column mount and also ordered the light kit which comes with a green and red bulb so that you can choose which to use. Since my 46 gauges are red, I'm using red. One other thing I neglected to mention, if anyone orders a tach, be sure to ask them to place (what they refer to as "goop") on the circuitry. This helps prevent internal disconnects caused by vibration.

tubman 07-26-2015 08:02 PM

If anyone is interested, I am having a friend who is an electronics expert working on converting a 3 1/2" Sun-Pro tach to work on 6 Volts Positive ground. At the present time, we have it running and are now at the point of getting it properly calibrated. He tells me that the problem is that the signal from the distributor is -6 volts and the problem will be easy to overcome. When done, I will run the prototype on my '51 to check accuracy and durability. The Sun-Pro tachs come with black or white faces, and are not that bad looking. We expect to be able to make these in the $50 to $75 price range.

Stay tuned.

flatheadmurre 07-27-2015 01:17 AM

Tubman what you need to make it work is basicly a counter chip go for the 555 its dead cheap.
Have a setting so the max output is for the gauge max readings...5k for example.
Then you need an op amp to drive the gauge just adjust the amplification so 5k input makes the gauge give a full reading.
With 2 adjustable resistors you have a board driving any tach out there sun or other...
Most chips would work on 5v.
A couple of bridge rectifiers at feed and input of the board makes it accept both positiv and negativ ground.
Add a voltage regulator and it accepts 6 or 12 volt.
Then use surfacemount components and it all fits and bolts to the back of the instrument inside the cup.

mike42 07-27-2015 05:30 AM

I bought the Westach 3 years ago and really like it. Great product and small enough to sit under the gauge cluster and mounted to steering column on my '40.

Mike

russcc 07-27-2015 05:32 AM

Keep us posted. I believe there is huge market out there for some type of universal transmitter interface product for all the original tachs like Stewart Warner, Sun, etc. It could be remote mounted like the originals or inside the tach. The instrument guys do a good job of converting them, but it can take a long time for them to do it, and it's pretty pricey.

JM 35 Sedan 07-27-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike42 (Post 1128183)
I bought the Westach 3 years ago and really like it. Great product and small enough to sit under the gauge cluster and mounted to steering column on my '40.

Mike

Thanks for the additional input on this. That's what I am going with.... placing an order today. I don't care about the coolness/nastalga factor of having an older/original tach, I just want something small, easy to mount, reasonably priced, that looks presentable and works well to accurately monitor engine RPM.

Planojc 07-27-2015 08:16 AM

I like the bullet style case which mounts to your steering column. Also the 35K tach is all you need for a flathead.

tubman 05-30-2018 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just ran across this thread again and to put a cap on things, my partner and I have finished this project. We have three ways to install a tachometer on 6 volt positive ground vehicles. Here is a pdf describing what we have available.

I am posting this now as I have one of our original production run type 1 driver box left to sell and would like to gauge any potential demand to see if we should gear up for another run.

FireEngineMike 05-30-2018 03:21 PM

Does anyone run the 6-volt pos ground Westach with a distributor mounted coil using the ballast resistor? I read that there is not enough voltage to run the tach.

flathead 53 05-30-2018 03:39 PM

I have A westach 0n my 53 ford f-100 6 volt pos ground ,and had one on my 40 coupe ,great tach ,good people to deal with.