The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New pinion bearings (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292386)

Fairlane500 01-01-2021 09:27 PM

New pinion bearings

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I purchased a set of pinion bearings and it came with this spacer that goes between the races. Original doesn’t have this.

Is this an update that you just tighten to spec and it’s a preset dimension that’s good to go?

If you have experience with this I would like to hear from you your thoughts and experiences.

Regards

John

Will D 01-01-2021 09:49 PM

Re: New pinion bearings

Just for packaging?? Where did you get the bearings from?

What year rear are you rebuilding?

That piece was not with my new bearings and race when I recently rebuilt rear on my '38.

Lawrie 01-01-2021 09:56 PM

From experience,PAY particular attention to the brand of the bearings.if no brand,DONT use them .I will only use NOS ford ones or a recognised brand ,timken etc. some times I put. a spacer in-between the bearings ,BUT its a fiddly job to get the preload right with a spacer.

Lawrie

Brian 01-01-2021 11:19 PM

I'd NOT use the spacer; you set the preload through tightening up the two nuts with interposed tab washer. Agree with what Lawrie says above

Brian 01-01-2021 11:21 PM

It's a fiddly job even without the spacer!!!

Brian 01-01-2021 11:23 PM

Incidently, it's easier to set the preload on the side bearings prior to doing the pinion preload, as then you're not dealing with the additional friction from pinion set up.

Will D 01-01-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1969349)
Incidently, it's easier to set the preload on the side bearings prior to doing the pinion preload, as then you're not dealing with the additional friction from pinion set up.

Follow this great advice from Brian! Makes a big difference.

Fairlane500 01-02-2021 12:21 AM

Bearing has 799082D number on them

Rear axle is 1934 Ford

Lawrie 01-02-2021 01:31 AM

Fred (barnfind08 ) has NOS ford bearings,
Lawrie

deuce lover 01-02-2021 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of an extra set I just sold ,all NOS. Bearings are Bower which was a vendor for Ford.

Fairlane500 01-02-2021 05:00 AM

Thank you for the replies to date, I have messaged Fred @Lawrie

deuce lover 01-02-2021 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If your double cone race is not USA marked I would be wary also.Its actually harder to find than the bearings.18-4616 is the Ford part number.

Charlie ny 01-02-2021 10:19 AM

VanPelt is an excellent source....do not forget the axle seals and premium gasket sets,
VP has them as well.
Charlie ny

Fairlane500 01-03-2021 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie ny (Post 1969475)
VanPelt is an excellent source....do not forget the axle seals and premium gasket sets,
VP has them as well.
Charlie ny

Thanks Charlie, I have converted it to 9 Inch Dutchman 28 spline Axles and spider gears so all good in that department. Just need pinion and carrier bearings.

Fairlane500 01-03-2021 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce lover (Post 1969380)
Here is a pic of an extra set I just sold ,all NOS. Bearings are Bower which was a vendor for Ford.

Thank you, John

PeteVS 01-03-2021 05:59 AM

A bunch of years ago, I rebuilt a banjo rear with new bearings AND a new ring and pinion. I had a hell of a time getting the preload on the pinion bearings. The preload would be too loose, I'd tighten the nut and the outer pinion would jump a bit and the preload would then be too tight. Over and over again. I finally got it good. It turns out that the pinion shaft was the same diameter full length and both bearings were fairly tight press fit. That shaft should have been a schosh looser for the outer bearing so wouldn't have taken so much force to move it to the proper preload point. Next time, I'll take a wee bit off that outer end of the shaft if it's the same diameter full length.

bobH 01-03-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteVS (Post 1969810)
A bunch of years ago, I rebuilt a banjo rear with new bearings AND a new ring and pinion. I had a hell of a time getting the preload on the pinion bearings. The preload would be too loose, I'd tighten the nut and the outer pinion would jump a bit and the preload would then be too tight. Over and over again. I finally got it good. It turns out that the pinion shaft was the same diameter full length and both bearings were fairly tight press fit. That shaft should have bee a schosh looser for the outer bearing so wouldn't have taken so much force to move it to the proper preload point. Next time, I'll take a wee bit off that outer end of the shaft if it's the same diameter full length.

Original pinion shafts came with that step on them. The pinion shaft you describe, is what I would call a defective part. The guy that has 'moded' pinion shafts for me, is a flathead guy, and a crankshaft grinder. He knows this stuff, and simply duplicates what Henry did in the first place. Next time you have an original 30's pinion in hand, measure the shaft.... easy to measure the 'step'.