The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Carburetor control (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285624)

Werner 08-15-2020 12:31 PM

Carburetor control

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

does anyone know this nice part and can please tell me the outside diameter?
Thanks in advance!

KGBnut 08-16-2020 06:11 AM

Re: Carburetor control

I've seen those in books on Model A accessories, but I've never seen one on a car. I think it is only a label to fit around your GAV.

I'm curious, why are you looking for dimensions? Are you going to try an make one?

Ken

Werner 08-16-2020 06:40 AM

Guten Morgen!

You're right. I certainly don't need it to drive. But I like it as an past accessory and therefore I want to build it by myself.

Bob C 08-16-2020 10:33 AM

Maybe try and search for a patent.

Synchro909 08-16-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1920707)
Guten Morgen!

You're right. I certainly don't need it to drive. But I like it as an past accessory and therefore I want to build it by myself.

Werner, I doubt anybody who looks at your car will ever have seen one. If you make it so that it looks reasonable, who is going to argue?

J Franklin 08-16-2020 07:50 PM

Maybe you could measure off the photo since the knob is a known value. It is probably just a rubber grommet with a lettered face.

Ruth 08-17-2020 12:11 AM

That's pretty neat, Werner. It appears to be stepped so it will hold the choke at the proper opening for "Start", "Warm" and "Run".

I like old accessories like this also.

Werner 08-17-2020 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was once an old champagne cork.

Bob Bidonde 08-17-2020 07:12 AM

Hi Werner,
Measure the diameter of a real GAV knob. Measure the diameter of the GAV knob in the picture. Compare the two diameters and note the difference. Measure the diameter of the accessory in the picture. Add or subtract the difference in GAV diameters to your measurement of the accessory's diameter. Looking at the picture, I guess that the diameter of the accessory is larger the the GAV knob.

Werner 08-17-2020 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guten Abend.

Ruth, I made it easier to be flexible. I didn't make guessers twisted with the aperture. The cover is rigidly mounted and only the nose of the fuel adjustment points at the scale.

Bob, I appreciated that. It was not possible to compare because the picture is not a correct drawing, it was painted. But my dimensions fit reasonably well; the adjustment knob is approximately 0.9" and the cork 1.2".

I thank everyone for their comments!

KGBnut 08-17-2020 08:37 PM

Werner,

I love your homemade one!

Ruth 08-18-2020 12:20 AM

Drink more wine!!!

katy 08-18-2020 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"I was once an old champagne cork."

Ranchero50 08-18-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1921160)
Hi Werner,
Measure the diameter of a real GAV knob. Measure the diameter of the GAV knob in the picture. Compare the two diameters and note the difference. Measure the diameter of the accessory in the picture. Add or subtract the difference in GAV diameters to your measurement of the accessory's diameter. Looking at the picture, I guess that the diameter of the accessory is larger the the GAV knob.

We do this in industry but turn it into a basic algebra equation instead. Use the image measurement to real part measurement to find the size ratio and multiply that ratio by any other image measurement to get it's real life size. It's surprisingly accurate as long as your image is in plan or profile layout. Obliques don't do so well :)

JoeCB 08-18-2020 09:41 PM

I think that "Ruth" got it right... Look close at the photo, the housing is stepped. This device controls the "in and out" of the choke rod in two measures steps, full out "start" , half out "warm". then released for "run"

Joe B

Werner 08-20-2020 05:17 AM

Yes that's right, Joe and Ruth. I misunderstood the function originally.

I thought it was a scale for the gas needle valve. As a reminder marker.

However, that are only different locking steps for the choke flap. Unnecessary.

I never need them in summer and I never drive in the winter time.