The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New fuel shutoff valve, ball valve filter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336429)

Brkile 03-06-2024 03:19 PM

New fuel shutoff valve, ball valve filter

I just received a new ball-valve type fuel shutoff with the hex shaped opening and pencil filter. The filter fits loosely in the inlet side of the valve. Its not even close to a interference fit. What holds the filter in place ?? I'm afraid it will bounce out of the valve if not attached some way. Any ideas ??

Y-Blockhead 03-06-2024 03:27 PM

Re: New fuel shutoff valve, ball valve filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brkile (Post 2295886)
I just received a new ball-valve type fuel shutoff with the hex shaped opening and pencil filter. The filter fits loosely in the inlet side of the valve. Its not even close to a interference fit. What holds the filter in place ?? I'm afraid it will bounce out of the valve if not attached some way. Any ideas ??

I have no idea why they changed the shape of the outlet of the valve. Ensure you received the correct filter as it has changed also. Snyder's part #A-9193-TX. The old filter was part #A-9193-T.

It should fit tightly.

TMarsh 03-06-2024 04:28 PM

Wrapped mine with tin foil. No problems so far, over 5000 miles.

Gary WA 03-06-2024 04:53 PM

Quote:

A little solder file to fit.

Marshall V. Daut 03-06-2024 10:04 PM

Pinch the tube with a pair of pliers to make the tube slightly egg-shaped. Then push the tube into the on/off valve. That interference fit will hold it in place inside the on/off valve. I've done this dozens of times and the filter always stays in place, as evidenced when the valve was removed clean crud off the filter.
Marshall

katy 03-07-2024 10:49 AM

Quote:

I just received a new ball-valve type fuel shutoff with the hex shaped opening and pencil filter.

Are you saying that the new reproduction valves are ball valves rather than the original style (plug valve)?

Update; I contacted Snyder's and was informed that the new valves, Part # A-9189-A, are actually ball valves.

30Murray 03-07-2024 12:19 PM

I had the opposite problem - the filter would not fit all the way into the valve so I had to file it down a little with sandpaper. As someone said make sure you have the correct filter.