The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Odd voltages (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262869)

Charlville 05-04-2019 01:07 PM

Odd voltages

Now, as many of you will deduce from this post I’m not an electrical genius. But I’d like to get an answer to this one as it’s stumping me :)

1929 Sport Coupe
Points ignition
12v Negative Earth with alternator
Kill switch in the battery to chassis line (edit negative post thanks Paul)
1 x engine to chassis earth
1 x gearbox to chassis earth
All kill switch on voltage is correct
Charging fine

Kill switch off and main fuse in and pressing horn switch I get around 6 volts at the horn.

Same process but with the main fuse out the voltage is 0.2 volts i.e. negligible.

Can I assume that perhaps the voltage is being held by something such as the condenser or even the alternator (Wild guesses :))

The reason I’d like the car to be “totally dead” is that it’s in my house garage.

Any thoughts are welcome and be gentle with me please :)

1931 flamingo 05-04-2019 01:48 PM

Re: Odd voltages

Which post on the batt is the kill sw??
Paul in CT

Charlville 05-04-2019 02:11 PM

Hi

It’s on the negative post sorry

rotorwrench 05-04-2019 04:38 PM

Negative ground would also mean ground post (for clarity). Some later horns in the early V8 era, have a capacitor but Model A horns don't since they are a relatively simple electric motor drive. Later ones are a vibrator coil type.

If your horn is getting any voltage at all then the battery cut off is not 100% effective. No voltage should be detected on any component. If you have an ohm meter, isolate the cut of switch and see if it has any continuity from one side of the switch to the other. It should have none. Ground from engine to frame or from transmission to frame should have no effect.

Another thing to check would be the alternator. If a diode in the internal bridge of it goes bad, it may get some connection to ground through it. The alternator would have to be disconnected or isolated from the power wire to check this.

jquinlan 05-04-2019 07:33 PM

What type of kill switch is it? Not that little one that sits on the battery terminal is it?

eagle 05-04-2019 09:19 PM

If the kill switch is truly disconnecting as it should, then the bayyery is isolated out of the circuit and there will be no power anywhere, sounds like you have a resistive disconnect switch.

Mike V. Florida 05-04-2019 10:26 PM

The condenser is blocked by the ignition switch so that's not it, (even if it stored and voltage the act of measuring it would discharge the cap.) Same with the alt, there is nothing to generate voltage when still or to store voltage that would not go away when measured.

You have a bad switch. With the switch off it is the same as removing the battery cable.

katy 05-05-2019 09:42 AM

Are you using an analog or digital meter?

Badpuppy 05-05-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1754081)
... sounds like you have a resistive disconnect switch.

I agree. Remove the fuse and measure between battery post and chassis with an ohmmeter. It's probably something in K-ohms; if so, not to worry about any hazard. Could also be conductive surface contamination on the switch or battery case.

Charlville 05-07-2019 03:40 PM

Thanks all, I’ll give the suggestions a try.