The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'm not a newbie anymore ... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244949)

Dave Young 05-25-2018 03:05 PM

I'm not a newbie anymore ...

I know this is silly, but I've got tell someone ...

Some background. I live in a 55 plus community that has several roads within the park, but only one entrance and exit. It's a real steep hill that ends at a stop, with an entrance to a highway which itself, is half way up a steep hill.

After buying my model A, I asked myself 'What was I thinking' this is insane. I'll never be able to get the car down the hill without crashing, and even if I don't, I'll never be able to get it onto the the highway and then up the next hill without causing some sort of major pile up.

Well, after spending quite a bit of time driving around inside the park I realized it was time to do it. Enough already, am I a man or a mouse? The wife wanted to come with me, but I figured there's no point in us both getting killed. I just had to do it and see if I was a real model A'er or just a wannabe.

Well, I'm here to report (not to you old timers, but newbie owners like me,
who are a little afraid of their cars) that eureka! ... I did it, and like I said ,
I have to tell somebody. I changed gears, I double clutched, I did all the things I've learned here and on Youtube and it worked. 45 mph on the highway, even managed to downshift to get back up the hill.

I'm declaring that I'm not a newbie anymore. My fear has gone. I control the car instead of it controlling me. I'm sorry if this post is absurd, but you have no idea how proud I feel and I suspect there's a few of you who
recognize this and recall that day, perhaps years ago, that you felt the same way.

Dave

CarlG 05-25-2018 03:29 PM

Re: I'm not a newbie anymore ...

Way to go Dave!

CYB4 05-25-2018 03:46 PM

We did all this step, Dave ��

marty in Ohio 05-25-2018 04:21 PM

Dave,
I've owned my '30 town sedan for 25 years and your story brought back memories to me. I'm still a little cautious on the road, but I just go for it now. Happy trails to you.
Marty

Chuck Dempsey 05-25-2018 04:28 PM

Congrats! Our cars like look like toys, but they were build to be used.....

Josh Randall 05-25-2018 05:48 PM

Great story Dave!, I know the feeling.

I've had my truck just a few weeks but I've learned to up shift or down shift with the best of them..

Randall

Russ/40 05-25-2018 06:06 PM

Neat story. Got to give you an attaboy. Me, after a few months I decided to go with the clings V8 syncro modification. I was having an unconfortable amount of clutch chatter and I figured as long as it has to come apart, what the heck. Have to say, I felt like a traitor as i pulled my blemish free transmission and rear end for the mod. Scratch galore. Oh well we cant all be like you. Hero......

slammin 05-25-2018 06:10 PM

Good job Dave! There's no doubt about, driving a Model A takes some practice. I keep mine at my machine shop, in a semi rural industrial area. I can drive a round trip of about 4 miles without having to venture out on the fast 4 lane. It helps to practice to get those shifts smooth.

DD931 05-25-2018 06:36 PM

I've been there!! Except it was when I was 17 years old, 60 years ago!!

talfaro87 05-25-2018 11:33 PM

Love to hear that! I went on my first tour with my club last week, tackling the ups and down of the CA foothills. It took me quite a while and lots of short solo runs, to have the confidence to join seasoned model A'ers on a tour, but it was a blast! Glad to hear others take their time to build confidence like I did

burner31 05-26-2018 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There ain't no stopping you now

M2M 07-14-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Young (Post 1632934)
I'm declaring that I'm not a newbie anymore.

Bad move. I'd suggest you hold on to the Newbie label for as long as possible to cover your back next time you make a silly mistake and to elicit sympathy and help on this forum :D

Kahuna 07-14-2018 09:56 AM

Great story, Dave

DHZIEMAN 07-14-2018 10:01 AM

Great words and "we have all been there" Engine Braking" is a wonderful thing, and so are good brakes and we all learn from doing! Good for you!

Lona 07-14-2018 11:03 AM

I owned mine for almost a year before old enough to get a license. Drove it almost every day around the spare lot next to the house. By the time I passed the exam, I was 17 and had mastered everything.....so I thought. 62 years later, I still learn a little something about our roadster every time I drive it. Model A's are a lifetime experience!

Glen

Floats 07-14-2018 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well done Dave,
You now need to teach your wife to drive her as well.
Here is a photo of my wife driving our 29 Chevy Phaeton on a 1000 mile vintage tour.
Yep, it is a RHD, she is also driving the RPU in my Avitar with our son-in-law inthe left.

Brentwood Bob 07-14-2018 12:40 PM

You will always remember that first time!

old31 07-14-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1650997)
Bad move. I'd suggest you hold on the Newbie label for as long as possible to cover your back next time you make a silly mistake and to elicit sympathy and help on this forum :D

Nope, no sympathy from me!:mad: