The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   36 Tudor wiper question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294730)

36 ford vt 02-19-2021 08:18 PM

36 Tudor wiper question

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Ford Barn Folks

I need some help on a couple questions on my 36 Tudor touring sedan windshield wipers -photo’s attached

The First question- Not sure how to remove the wiper arm from the shaft. I tried to remove the screw and it’s really stuck. Is removing this screw the way to remove the arm? I don’t want to break it if it’s not the way to remove the arm. Any input on removing the arm would be appreciated.

The second question. I Cant find a blade that fits the arm. The wiper motor is the original Trico vacuum, but I don’t think the arm is original based on the info in the 35-36 early ford v8 book and suppliers catalogs. The ones I have bought from the suppliers based on the year don’t fit correctly. I’d appreciate any info on what the arm is and what blade may be required

Thanks for any help on this
Ron

johndee138 02-20-2021 12:45 PM

Re: 36 Tudor wiper question

That doesn't look like a 36 wiper arm. could it have been replaced with a later style?

Gary in La. 02-20-2021 12:54 PM

That type of arm with the screw usually has a small serrated plate underneath that tightens up on the serrated shaft when the screw is tightened. Probably needs some penetrating fluid shot up inside.

36 ford vt 02-20-2021 06:08 PM

Thanks Johndee and Gary

Johndee, I think it’s a good possibility it is a later style. I’ve had the car since 1963 so maybe that’s a good idea to look at ford wiper arms from maybe the 40s and 50s to see if I can find a match.
Gary, that sounds like removing the screw is the way to remove the arm. I’ll try the penetrating fluid and see if that helps

Thanks for your help guys!

Lawson Cox 02-20-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36 ford vt (Post 1987681)
Thanks Johndee and Gary

Johndee, I think it’s a good possibility it is a later style. I’ve had the car since 1963 so maybe that’s a good idea to look at ford wiper arms from maybe the 40s and 50s to see if I can find a match.
Gary, that sounds like removing the screw is the way to remove the arm. I’ll try the penetrating fluid and see if that helps

Thanks for your help guys!

Try a pair of vice-grips on the screw.

36 ford vt 02-20-2021 06:54 PM

That sounds like a good idea. I’ll give it a try. Probably do a weeks work of penetrant first. Thanks Lawson

Terry,OH 02-21-2021 06:39 AM

I suggest if the screw comes our of the arm when loosened, before it comes out too much try light taps on the screw head since the screw may be holding a wedge device.

36 ford vt 02-21-2021 06:50 AM

Thanks Terry, I’ll do a little tapping with my brass hammer as I work the screw. With the penetrant that may help loosen the wedge and screw also.