The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Groaning Brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288763)

fundytides 10-16-2020 05:25 PM

Groaning Brakes

1931 Roadster had the brakes relined in the 1960's and has been stored (indoors) ever since. After being revived, the brakes groan loudly when applied. They seem to work ok but are very noisy. I have thought of removing the drums and tapering the leading edges of the linings with a rasp. maybe a quick sanding of the face of the linings as well. Any other ideas?

McMimmcs 10-16-2020 06:05 PM

Re: Groaning Brakes

Because it’s been 60 years since they were relined it will be a very good idea To have them inspected.

WHN 10-16-2020 06:15 PM

I would take the drums of if for no other reason than to grease the front wheel bearings and to re-torque the rear axel bolts.

Good idea to inspect. Not a lot of work, and you get a good look at what is a very important operating part of your car.

Enjoy.

Big hammer 10-16-2020 06:26 PM

I wouldn't grind, sand or files the shoes because they probably contain asbestos ! The drums probably are rusty, removing them and greasing the bearings sounds like a good plan, then you could remove the rust.

Jim/GA 10-16-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1942310)
I wouldn't grind, sand or files the shoes because they probably contain asbestos ! The drums probably are rusty, removing them and greasing the bearings sounds like a good plan, then you could remove the rust.

^^^^
This!

I hear drum brakes groan pretty often, especially if there is any rust inside the drum. Greasing the bearings is a good idea. And make sure that all of the brake mechanism, springs, etc. are free to move. The linings will take the rust off with use.

fundytides 10-17-2020 07:38 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I will be removing the drums to do an inspection. I will post what I find. If my memory is correct (50%/50% chance!). The linings are the woven ones with brass wire interwoven. Don't think they contained asbestos.

1931 flamingo 10-17-2020 08:05 AM

Most likely surface rust on the drums, drive it and use tthe brakes often. JMO
Paul in CT

CC-Mo 10-17-2020 07:35 PM

On my '30 Tudor, they only seem to groan when I brake on a slope in reverse. Like backing out of the garage which has a downhill slope.
Luckily I have no strange sound while braking going forward.

jg61hawk 10-18-2020 03:34 PM

Done in the 60's! I would check the wheel cylinders, fuel pump, turn signals, master cylinder, electric window motors and vacuum trunk release.....if I was looking at anything but an A! Ain't the A's simple!!!!!!

WHN 10-18-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jg61hawk (Post 1942840)
Done in the 60's! I would check the wheel cylinders, fuel pump, turn signals, master cylinder, electric window motors and vacuum trunk release.....if I was looking at anything but an A! Ain't the A's simple!!!!!!

When I first started reading your comments, I didn’t know where you were going.

Great comparison!

Enjoy.

Mad Mac 10-19-2020 03:02 PM

On a similar topic: What causes squeaking brakes and how do I stop it?

fundytides 10-19-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jg61hawk (Post 1942840)

Did all that between 9:00 am and 9:03 before I cleaned and reinstalled my oil pan. The only problem I had was that I had nobody to stand behind me and verify that they could see my turn signals. I couldn't find anyone that could translate what the signals meant anyway.