The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Broken Spring (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210467)

Res731 12-07-2016 01:09 PM

Broken Spring

1 Attachment(s)
I never noticed the front was cracked until I took it apart. I was surprised at how little tension there was and then I found several cracked. Strangely enough all the broken ones are replacements (i.e. have the square ends). Anyone ever experience the replacements break but the originals are still good?

3.6rs 12-07-2016 01:22 PM

Re: Broken Spring

Personnaly I have no experience, but I know someone who had 2x broken front springs in 1 year ! Don't know if they where originals or repro.

SeaSlugs 12-07-2016 01:42 PM

Either the arch was wrong, improper spring material in the first place, or someone didnt have the spring to fame u bolts tight enough.

Ive had plenty of broken ford springs. Usually the main leaf with the eyes.

ursus 12-07-2016 01:58 PM

A lot of the square ended replacements came from JC Whitney back in the day. I could see where they might have a different flex pattern and metallurgy as compared to the original Ford spring leaves. After thousands of flex cycles they might not be working together so well as a mixed assembly.

ian Simpson 12-08-2016 12:53 AM

I have not experienced this with a Model A, but some 50 plus years ago I used to transport my racing motorcycles in a 1960 Ford (UK) Thames van. It was typically overloaded and driven far too fast. I had to make a series of repairs to the rear springs, each of which failed rapidly. Usually the failure was breaking of the replacement leaves, I finally replaced both springs with totally new material. Never had another problem. I have no explanation what was going on.

Res731 12-08-2016 09:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like I should just replace the whole thing

SeaSlugs 12-08-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian Simpson (Post 1396302)
I have not experienced this with a Model A, but some 50 plus years ago I used to transport my racing motorcycles in a 1960 Ford (UK) Thames van. It was typically overloaded and driven far too fast. I had to make a series of repairs to the rear springs, each of which failed rapidly. Usually the failure was breaking of the replacement leaves, I finally replaced both springs with totally new material. Never had another problem. I have no explanation what was going on.

Weird, I wonder if it has to do with one is being made into a specific part designed to carry a specific load (spring pack) so it may follow a very specific recipe to the steel and temper while the add a leaf or single leaf is a generic spring steel recipie. Im guessing they snapped right at the center hole?

100IH 12-08-2016 06:51 PM

All of the the original leaves, squatted out and useless, now replacement wrong leaves doing all the work.