The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   BEWARE Smiths classic car clocks/Fraud (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234818)

klawockvet 12-06-2017 05:34 PM

BEWARE Smiths classic car clocks/Fraud

I believe this guy had an ad in the classified awhile back but I can't find it now. I have held off reporting this but its finally time. I really hated doing this but I'm out $200.00 that I can't recover. I bought a clock from this guy and after installing it I found it didn't work. I called him and he said to send it back, which I did. That was back in May. He finally responded to my emails and said he didn't know it was mine. Said he would fix it and send it back. Then after months of sending messages he finally said it would be "shipping tomorrow" That was in the middle of November. Now its Dec 6 and no clock. I've emailed twice since then and no reply. I called the number on his website but the message says the mailbox is full. Proceed with caution when dealing with him.

Ford Freak 12-06-2017 06:24 PM

Re: BEWARE Smiths classic car clocks/Fraud

Thanks for the heads-up ! - FF

Randy in ca 12-06-2017 06:37 PM

His handle is jcs200. Had lots of ads at one time but hasn't been on Fordbarn since July 2016. His webpage says he's an architect working part time at clocks and trying to sell the business. I've had no personal experience with him.

skidmarks 12-06-2017 07:04 PM

Is He in Colorado?

klawockvet 12-06-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarks (Post 1562040)
Is He in Colorado?

Yes, around Denver

skidmarks 12-06-2017 08:15 PM

When i was dealing with a 40 ford clock needing rebuilt, i was warned not to deal with a guy named smith in Colorado so it must be the same guy. This was a few years ago. Sorry to hear about your problems and i guess mentioning this now is a little too late.

klawockvet 12-17-2017 10:33 AM

Finally got the guy on the phone at night. He agreed to refund payment. Next day got an email that I had never paid for it so wouldn't be refunding anything. He went through this before and I sent him a copy of his invoice. He responded that it was only an invoice and he had shipped it without me paying for it. Then I sent him a copy of the Paypal payment. He finally agreed to refund via Paypal and he has now done that. Dealing with this guy is real PITA.

19Fordy 12-17-2017 10:56 AM

WOW! Why are some folks so dishonest? CARMA will get them.

Ford Freak 12-17-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1567252)
WOW! Why are some folks so dishonest? CARMA will get them.

Yes , I agree , as I have seen it many times !!

JM 35 Sedan 12-17-2017 02:33 PM

Should spread the word to other old car forums about the dishonesty of this guy.

J Franklin 12-17-2017 03:29 PM

He did make a refund, although it did take some prodding. A real dishonest person wouldn't have done so.

deuce_roadster 12-17-2017 04:47 PM

"He did make a refund, although it did take some prodding. A real dishonest person wouldn't have done so. "
I disagree, an honest person would have refunded the money without fighting the customer for months.

J Franklin 12-17-2017 07:35 PM

Listen to both sides before judgment. Maybe there is a true misunderstanding somehow. Illness, bookkeeping, or memory may have played a part, maybe not. I wouldn't use this watch repairer without careful vetting either.

Kahuna 12-17-2017 08:31 PM

I'm with Deuce Roadster on this one

A bones 12-18-2017 03:28 AM

Either way you slice it, he is not worth the trouble. This is not an isolated incident.

TuscanS 02-17-2020 12:54 PM

I unfortunately came across this guy early this year, very similar story, stay well away.

Sal 02-17-2020 03:55 PM

Some day he'll run into a Louisville slugger. I hate crooks. I had to deal with a guy a few years back that charged me money up front to make a small glass piece for some thing I was restoring for my car. It took 2 years of e-mailing and calling before this guy sent me the part. I was getting ready to pay him a visit up in Cleveland with my friend Louie.

tubman 02-17-2020 05:47 PM

Everybody needs a friend named "Louie". I have several. It's even better to have one named "Carmine".:D

TomT/Williamsburg 02-17-2020 08:10 PM

Where I come from he’s called, “Uncle Vito” - he is one in the same I am sure .....

cmbrucew 02-17-2020 08:58 PM

Mine was named Gino.
The bad guy was shaking in his boots. He couldn't pay me fast enough.
Geno said he haden't had that much fun for years.
Bruce