The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leg room (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199257)

John Schlegel 06-26-2016 08:31 PM

Leg room

How can I get more leg room in front seat 1929 fordor.
Gear shift gets in the way so I can,t apply brakes when in first gear.
Stock seat is all the way back

Y-Blockhead 06-26-2016 11:12 PM

Re: Leg room

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Schlegel (Post 1314904)
How can I get more leg room in front seat 1929 fordor.
Gear shift gets in the way so I can,t apply brakes when in first gear.
Stock seat is all the way back

Hi John, I had the similar problem in my '30 Town Sedan. At a stop light with my foot on the brake and shifter in first, I had a hard time getting my foot off the brake pedal and on to the gas peddle. This after moving the front seat 3" back. :p:p

I ended up bending the shifter towards the passenger side ~1-2".

There was a thread on this a little while back but I can't seem to find it now. Perhaps someone else can help...

I made this simple tool out of items I had on hand to bend my shifter. You put the shifter thru the eye bolts and tighten the Big Blue Nut.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1508/2...1fa02754af.jpg

Mitch//pa 06-27-2016 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Move the seat back, make or buy a 6" adjuster. Snyders has them but pricey...

Here are the snyders adjusters,, I believe they are the only ones supplying these. I have them in both my cars, they do look decent installed

john in illinois 06-27-2016 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made several of these for myself and club members. Uses holes from original seat bracket.

John

Tom Wesenberg 06-27-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john in illinois (Post 1315014)
I have made several of these for myself and club members. Uses holes from original seat bracket.

John

The Fordor won't be as easy as the Tudor to move the seat back.

john in illinois 06-27-2016 09:15 AM

You are right Tom, I have only made tghem for Tudors.

John

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-27-2016 10:07 AM

John S,
I heated Minervas' shifter at the fat end, with a propane torch, took me 3 tries to get it RIGHT!
Bill W.

pgerhardt 06-27-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1315002)
Move the seat back, make or buy a 6" adjuster. Snyders has them but pricey...

Here are the snyders adjusters,, I believe they are the only ones supplying these. I have them in both my cars, they do look decent installed

Moving the seat back will NOT correct the problem of your leg being trapped under the steering wheel when in first gear. The distance between your knee and the steering wheel will stay about the same. The problem is that the shift lever is leaning a little toward the drivers side, so when in first it traps your leg under the steering wheel. The solution is to bend the shift lever so it leans a little toward the passenger side. This will leave a little space for your knee to come up past the right side of the steering wheel. On mine I just grabbed the lever and pulled a little. It bent easily. A ten second fix! :D

Y-Blockhead 06-27-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1315143)
On mine I just grabbed the lever and pulled a little. It bent easily. A ten second fix! :D

Haha. You're braver then me. I was afraid to "hurt" something internally, hence the tool I made (post #2).

But either way I agree. Moving the seat back 3" in my Town Sedan was NOT easy and the results were not what I had hoped for. Bending the shifter will alleviate your problem. :p:p

Mitch//pa 06-27-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1315143)
Moving the seat back will NOT correct the problem of your leg being trapped under the steering wheel when in first gear. The distance between your knee and the steering wheel will stay about the same. The problem is that the shift lever is leaning a little toward the drivers side, so when in first it traps your leg under the steering wheel. The solution is to bend the shift lever so it leans a little toward the passenger side. This will leave a little space for your knee to come up past the right side of the steering wheel. On mine I just grabbed the lever and pulled a little. It bent easily. A ten second fix! :D

Most home made adjusters DO NOT tilt in the front.. These adjusters from snyders DO which gives clearance under the steering wheel as well as moving the set back 6"...it works I have these in both my Tudors, the extra leg room and clearance is valuable for my comfort.. Never had a need to bend the shifter with these installed. Even just bending the shifter out of the way I would've needed these anyways for overall comfort so this killed two birds with one stone:)

Tom Wesenberg 06-27-2016 01:30 PM

I plan to move my 29 Tudor seats back a couple inches, and I wouldn't bend my shift lever. I'm actually OK with the seats as is, but a couple inches back would be more comfortable and make getting in easier.

I would never just push the shift lever to the side to bend it, but would make a tool like Y-Blockhead shows to bend the lever.

Mitch//pa 06-27-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1315202)
I plan to move my 29 Tudor seats back a couple inches, and I wouldn't bend my shift lever. I'm actually OK with the seats as is, but a couple inches back would be more comfortable and make getting in easier.

I would never just push the shift lever to the side to bend it, but would make a tool like Y-Blockhead shows to bend the lever.

Times 2

Y-Blockhead 06-27-2016 01:52 PM

But you guys are talking Tudors. The OP has a Fordor (As do I). The Snyder's Seat Mover Backer is for the Tudor. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/seat-adjuster-kit Won't work on a Fordor.

Mitch//pa 06-27-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1315215)
But you guys are talking Tudors. The OP has a Fordor (As do I). The Snyder's Seat Mover Backer is for the Tudor. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/seat-adjuster-kit

OH your right... I'm a Blockhead u can relate to that. At Least I brought Tom on the ride with me:D......

1931 flamingo 06-27-2016 02:57 PM

Mine's a udor also and have similar to post #4Plus I raised the seat a couple of inches.
"Form" the shifter to the right AND move the seat back 3". There should still be plenty of room for back seat passengers, if you ever have any. FWIW
Paul in CT

ODFever 06-27-2016 03:04 PM

I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs. I found a couple of ways to increase legroom without major modifications. I removed the rubber pedal pads. I bought a pair of PF Flyers (similar to Converse Chuck Taylor's). The thin sole gives me the extra legroom to get my size 15 wide feet on the pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will N 06-27-2016 03:14 PM

When you eventually go to have your knees replaced, ask the surgeon to take an inch or two out of your leg. That ought to fix the problem ;-)

Y-Blockhead 06-27-2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1315217)
... I'm a Blockhead u can relate to that.

Hey, hey! I resemble that remark...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

garyjohn 06-27-2016 05:17 PM

You should have made the remark about having the surgeon shorted my leg a couple of months ago and I could have had him do it then. too late now

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-27-2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1315217)
OH your right... I'm a Blockhead u can relate to that. At Least I brought Tom on the ride with me:D......

I can give a THUMBS UP to that!---Can you?:D
SA Dad