The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter Stuck (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302139)

jamesivta 08-06-2021 12:48 PM

Starter Stuck

I am somewhat new to working on model A's. I have a 1928 Deluxe Delivery AR version. It had been sitting for a couple of years. I drained the gas, checked other fluids and put in a new battery. I pushed the starter just to see if it would turn over. It turned over a few times and I let off the starter pedal (big mistake). Now it does nothing when I push in the starter pedal. I checked all the connections and pulled the starter, I bench tested it and it seems to turn fine. After I put it back in, I still get nothing. I am also able to turn the crank without a problem. I have read threads that say this is somewhat common, and to put it in 3rd gear and rock it back and forth. Unfortunately it is parked on an incline so rocking it back and forth is not really a good option. Are there any other suggestions that might work? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Brentwood Bob 08-06-2021 01:03 PM

Re: Starter Stuck

Switch might be kaput.
Pull the starter out and bench test it. A bent shaft, starter ring gear walking off the flywheel,
Are other possible issues.

abachman3 08-06-2021 01:10 PM

If it is working on the bench, then it most likely is the starter switch not making a good connection.

Boston Bruce 08-06-2021 01:34 PM

I just had that problem last month. I had the starter in and out a few times. I also removed the Bendix and checked that. Checked the starter switch also and that seemed OK. It ended up being a bad cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the starter switch. The connection inside the battery cable terminal was bad/intermittent. I'd start with removing the battery cables positive (ground) and negative and make sure the connections on the chassis (positive side) and the negative (starter) are good. Also, clean the battery connections and that end of the cables also.

Patrick L. 08-06-2021 02:06 PM

Yep, I agree. From what you say I agree that its probably the switch, cable, or cable connection.

Brentwood Bob 08-06-2021 02:51 PM

Try this YouTube.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBNoU0ZvLQ

jamesivta 08-06-2021 03:18 PM

Thank you all for the great suggestions, I will check everything this weekend and let you know the results.

ronn 08-09-2021 04:06 PM

and if the starter spins, but wont engage?

chrs1961815 08-09-2021 04:51 PM

Do you still have the early starter using the multidisk clutch?

GPierce 08-09-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 2043361)
Switch might be kaput.
Pull the starter out and bench test it. A bent shaft, starter ring gear walking off the flywheel,
Are other possible issues.

Post 1. He pulled the starter and bench tested it.

Tom Wesenberg 08-09-2021 10:27 PM

The starter helix needs to be clean and rust free. I use a thin coat of ATF on it so it doesn't rust, but heavy oil or grease will keep it from spinning forward into engagement.

Also make sure the small spring and pin on the end of the drive moves freely and has a drop of oil on it.

ronn 08-10-2021 06:21 AM

thanks Tom- sorry for the interruption.......

jamesivta 08-15-2021 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, sorry for my delay, I had to take a short break from the car to work on my other job. Anyway, I checked all the cables, everything is good. Tested the battery with voltage meter, fully charged. I have bench tested the starter twice. All apears to be working. When I push in the starter, I hear a thunk, then nothing. Like it's trying to engage, but get's stuck.

ronn 08-15-2021 06:19 PM

sounds like a bad ground........... are you using "heavy" cables?

nkaminar 08-15-2021 08:11 PM

Something is not right. Measure the battery voltage while engaging the starter. It should go down to about 5 volts. If it stays near 6 volts there is something wrong with the cables or starter or switch. If it goes to 4 or below you have a bad battery or a short in the starter.