The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Seeking Info: 34 with 3 speed column shift (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96405)

gerrald meacham 02-02-2013 08:32 AM

Seeking Info: 34 with 3 speed column shift

I'm wanting to put a 3 speed column shift in my 1934 Ford. I want to use an F1 steering box and a 47 column. Has anyone on the Ford Barn done this? If so, Would like to have pictures.

TJ 02-02-2013 09:42 AM

Re: Seeking Info: 34 with 3 speed column shift

You'll also need a 40 or newer transmission. Why not use the column shifter from an F-1 pickup with the F-1 box?

Andy 02-02-2013 09:59 AM

I put a side shift box in my 32. The pedal box had to move over for clearance with the arms. I made a new pedal box. I also had clearance problems at the firewall. You may not as I am running an overhead engine.
I don't know if a 34 would have the same problems.

rotorwrench 02-02-2013 10:04 AM

The 1940 column might be a closer fit. In 41 the body started to change more toward the later 42 thru 48 types and they might be longer than the 1940 type. The later types would likely need to be shortened to fit the early 30s type bodies but it could be done. The steering lock and key switch complicate things a bit. Are you planning on using the 47 steering box as well or just the column jacket?

Heck I went back and re-read to answer the question. The F-1 Box is a common choice but may have to be shortened & modified to work with the 47 mast jacket & shift mechanism.

blucar 02-02-2013 12:08 PM

I have a column shift in my '36 coupe.. It is a '47-48 trans, '40 column with a '40 steering gear box.. Works great..
Many years ago I put a column shift in a '37 Ford pickup I had.. I used a '47 trans, '40 steering gears with a column from a '59 Ford F100.. I used the '59 F100 column, cutting it down to length, because I wanted turn signals on the truck.. I used a steering wheel from a '50's F100.
I am very much aware that the '34-36 Fords are very much different.. i.e., the '34 steering gear shaft exits through the frame rail in lieu of out of the bottom of the gear box.. This feature would pretty well eliminate the '40 steering gear box...
The F100 steering gear boxes extend through the frame, however, the added length of the column might present a problem...
Basically, nothing is impossible.... Somethings just take longer and cost more...

gerrald meacham 02-02-2013 04:08 PM

a few years i saw a 34 three window in tucker ga with a 46 engine trans and rearend was the 46 color tuscan tan it had a column shift in it. hope he is on the barn and would give some input . it was beautiful

Lawson Cox 02-02-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerrald meacham (Post 583541)
I'm wanting to put a 3 speed column shift in my 1934 Ford. I want to use an F1 steering box and a 47 column. Has anyone on the Ford Barn done this? If so, Would like to have pictures.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to post this question on the custom/street rod forum?

TJ 02-02-2013 11:26 PM

Sounds like he still has a flathead in his car and just wants to change transmissions. Doesn't sound like a street rod question to me. No different than a guy asking about installing a Mitchell overdrive

quickchange34 02-03-2013 12:02 AM

Mr. Cox the man ask a question , he needs a answer!! Why do you always chime in on something you dont know or understand?

quickchange34 02-03-2013 12:07 AM

The forty coulumn works real nice and the steering box as well You need to use the 40 to 48 trans.

Lawson Cox 02-03-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange34 (Post 584150)
Mr. Cox the man ask a question , he needs a answer!! Why do you always chime in on something you dont know or understand?

Don't get your boxers in a bunch. I was attempting to help the man get to the right place to get information he was requestioning. I understand the rules are that this particular forum is for basically stock vehicles.

blucar 02-03-2013 10:49 AM

So! Let me get this right... I should take my 60 plus years of knowledge, and experiences, about the Early V8 Fords over to the H.A.M,B., or some other online forum.
I guess I could go back through my postings to the "barn", deleting all of my responses to questions about "Spring Spreaders", because the spreader I always refer to was/is not an official Ford tool..
Even my "Avatar" is an anomaly, i.e. the car shown is altered with '40 Chevy head-lights and later model wheels.. to name just a few of the alterations poor "Ole Henry" has been subjected to.. Of course none of the alterations to my car has involved any parts from a "Chevy", other than the head-light pods, or any Ford/Merc parts newer than 1948..
Enough said.... Have a great day.

P.S.
Just noted that the "post counter" below my avatar has turned to 501.. WOW! that could be construed as a lot of useless info shared with folks that have no interest in the real world of old cars and how real people kept them on the road..

V8COOPMAN 02-03-2013 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=blucar;584303]So! Let me get this right... I should take my 60 plus years of knowledge, and experiences, about the Early V8 Fords over to the H.A.M,B., or some other online forum.
I guess I could go back through my postings to the "barn", deleting all of my responses to questions about "Spring Spreaders", because the spreader I always refer to was/is not an official Ford tool..
Evan my "Avatar" is an anomaly, i.e. the car shown is altered with '40 Chevy head-lights and later model wheels.. to name just a few of the alterations poor "Ole Henry" has been subjected to.. Of course none of the alterations to my car has involved any parts from a "Chevy", other than the head-light pods, or any Ford/Merc parts newer than 1948..
Enough said.... Have a great day.QUOTE]

AMEN! What you discuss is always related to what this site is about. I'm on the HAMB too. That usually goes far, far away from what this site is about. Keep postin', here! DD

Andy 02-03-2013 11:40 AM

Well OK, Lets get back to trying to help the OP. The columns are easy to shorten. I would suggest a 40 column drop for shifter clearance and they look kinda like a 34 drop. The shift mechanism can be shortened by just drilling a new hole for the shifting pin thru the side of the shifting rod and also a new hole in the mast jacket.
A coumn shift was the cat's meow in the 40's.

Torchie 02-03-2013 06:32 PM

Just some quick Measurements
1941 Ford Car steering column length is 45 and 1/4 inches from the bottom side of the clamp that holds the mast jacket above the gear box to the face of the horn button.
1952 F-1 steering column is 41 and 1/2 inches in length measuring from the same points.
The 41 should be close in length if not identical to the 46-48 cars. I do not have a 40 column to measure. Maybe someone else can help with that.
The F-1 box might require some shimming to get the correct angle to line up the mast with your current column location.
As has been stated by others shortening the column as well as the shifter shaft is not that difficult.
I would think that the clearance issues might be the linkage fitting around the firewall/floor board.
Good luck and hope this helps.

gerrald meacham 02-08-2013 01:31 PM

got it done works real good , got to get a coat of black paint on it thanks for the help everyone

barnfind08 09-29-2014 05:10 PM

The information on the column and using the shifter parts from a 40 is pretty straight forward. I think the poster and me included would like to know how you get the rods to the sideshift with all the pedals and linkages to the brakes and throwout brg shaft. I suppose you could hang hanging pedals and eliminate all that which is in the way but that looks crappy. Lets here from you guys.

HOTROD_WILLIE 09-29-2014 06:10 PM

I like the question. Putting the shifter on the column was popular up grade in the 40's and early 50's. That way you can get your girl a little closer. Gerrald keep asking the questions. We are here to help. That was Fordbarn is for.