The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help with a Mallory 11A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284952)

1crosscut 08-02-2020 09:17 AM

Help with a Mallory 11A

I have a couple of Model A binder engines that I am starting to work on and need a bit of help with the Mallory distributor that is on one of them.
I have the spring clip removed that holds the upper plate in place but the plate is not wanting to budge. I'm thinking that it is just being held in place simply by crud and how long it has been since it was last removed. I have been soaking the outer edge with PB Blaster and lightly tapping with an aluminum hammer to introduce some vibration to get it freed up. Just wanted to check to see if there is anything else I am missing that would be preventing it from coming apart.

Also where would I look to find points and such for it?

1crosscut 08-02-2020 09:19 AM

Re: Help with a Mallory 11A

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures would probably help.

Jack Shaft 08-02-2020 09:36 AM

the 'white crust of death' is what I call it when i see it in a carburetor bowl..try a little CLR,calcium/ lime/ rust remover. Dual points are sexy.

1crosscut 08-02-2020 04:47 PM

Thanks Jack.

Anyone have experience opening one of these up or photos of the innards?

updraught 08-02-2020 09:50 PM

Not sure what a "Model S" is. Some photos of one for sale previously.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...utors.1096539/

1crosscut 08-03-2020 08:51 AM

Thanks, by looking at the pictures it should lift out of there. Just have to get it unstuck.

1crosscut 08-03-2020 12:23 PM

Gently warmed the body of the distributor with a propane torch and it lifted out quite nicely.

Anyone know of a good source for the points and condenser?

callcoy 08-31-2020 01:09 PM

Mallory was sold several years ago, parts are not available from the new owner MSD which I think I heard is now part of Mr. Gasket or the other way around. You will have to watch the parts for sale section here, EBAY or Jalopy Journal. If you are real good with your hands you could most likely adapt points for a more modern source. Do not drop your rotor or cap or you will be Sxxt out of luck! If you run out of options and wish to sell someday, I maybe interested. Hope you find what you need!

Werner 08-31-2020 01:51 PM

Dave,

would you please tell me the term
Quote:

Model A binder engines
Thanks in advance!

40 Deluxe 08-31-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1926175)
Dave,

would you please tell me the term Thanks in advance!

A "binder" is a farm machine for harvesting small grain. What most guys refer to as a binder is, I think, incorrect. Most A engines used in farming were on combines, mostly ones made by Allis-Chalmers under the Gleaner brand.
A binder cut the standing grain stalks, gathered them into bundles and tied twine around to hold the bundles together, then dropped them on the ground. The bundles were them hauled to the farm yard where they were put through a stationary machine (threshing machine) to separate the grain from the stalks. When machines were developed that did the separating right in the field (combines) binders were no longer needed nor used.

Bob C 08-31-2020 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Binder= Combine.

40 Deluxe 08-31-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1926183)
Binder= Combine.

Not really. A binder cut the wheat or oats and tied it into bundles which were loaded on a wagon and hauled to a stationary threshing machine. A combine went to the field and picked up the grain and threshed it as it went through the field. So the combine eliminated the need for the binder(thus the name "combine," as it combined the cutting and threshing operations into one).

Bob C 08-31-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK I stand corrected.
How about this?

Ray in La Mesa 08-31-2020 08:56 PM

Bubbasignition.com has been rebuilding Mallorys for years, contact them.

1crosscut 08-31-2020 10:22 PM

Werner I think that they may have answered you question.

I tried Bubba's Ignition. I think he has had some health troubles and may not be working on them anymore. Tried calling several times and line is not in service.

I did find a gent in Canada that had some points and I bought several of them from him. I expect to see them in the mail in the next few days. Fingers crossed that they are correct for what I have.