The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fuel shut off valve (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283660)

Burgamot 07-06-2020 01:14 PM

Fuel shut off valve
 

My original fuel valve on my 31 Tudor has been leaking. Tried several fixes without luck. Would a a hardware store ball valve work on gas?

ryanheacox 07-06-2020 01:29 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Probably but why not buy the correct valve from Brattons and be done with it?

Ak Sourdough 07-06-2020 01:42 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Yes, a ball valve will work fine. Some have small handles that don't look so much like an oil refinery product.

Ruth 07-06-2020 02:03 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1906560)
Probably but why not buy the correct valve from Brattons and be done with it?

Because they don't last. Even Bratton's sells a replacement ball valve https://www.brattons.com/30-31gas-li...off-valve.html, altho I'm sure you could make your own setup cheaper. Check McMaster-Carr for a proper valve to use with gasoline. https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-valves/on-off-valves-6/

Ernie Vitucci 07-06-2020 02:09 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Snyder's sells a ball valve system for the fuel line. You leave a fresh original, open, in the bottom of the tank and NEVER touch it . Remove the L shaped line that goes to the fire wall and replace it with a new line that has the ball valve in the middle. We put one in about six or seven years ago and it has been no trouble at all...Ernie in Arizona

Ruth 07-06-2020 02:32 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1906573)
Snyder's sells a ball valve system for the fuel line.

Ernie, do you have a link or parts number for the ball valve at Snyder's? I can't find it. All I see is the electric one besides the repro.

Snyder's search engine SUX since they changed their online catalog (as does the shopping cart).

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-06-2020 02:39 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

2 Attachment(s)
The underlying issue with the reason the valves fails is because grit & debris from inside the tank flows thru the valve, and when the Gas Valve stem is turned, it scores the housing and/or stem which causes the valve to leak. This rust & grit will ruin even a stainless steel ball valve.

Once the tank issue has been corrected, you can use a 7 tapered reamer to resurface the A-9190 Gas Valve Body, and then mount the A-9192 Gas Valve into a lathe and make a skim cut on the taper. It doesn't take much to remove the scoring and make a difference. Then use fine valve grinding compound to polish the two mating surfaces and it will be good as new.

.
.

Ruth 07-06-2020 03:27 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1906585)
The underlying issue with the reason the valves fails is because grit & debris from inside the tank flows thru the valve, and when the Gas Valve stem is turned, it scores the housing and/or stem which causes the valve to leak. This rust & grit will ruin even a stainless steel ball valve.

Once the tank issue has been corrected, you can use a 7 tapered reamer to resurface the A-9190 Gas Valve Body, and then mount the A-9192 Gas Valve into a lathe and make a skim cut on the taper. It doesn't take much to remove the scoring and make a difference. Then use fine valve grinding compound to polish the two mating surfaces and it will be good as new.

Yes, that would be the best way. But this is assuming we all have a A-9190 Gas Valve Body & A-9192 Gas Valve along with a 7 reamer and a lathe.

I agree with the clean tank. Add a pencil filter and I have not had a problem with a ball valve. It is the brass valves I have the problem with.

Werner 07-06-2020 04:07 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Guten Abend,

I have had the same problem. I solve this by lapping the conical rotary valve with valve grinding paste "finely". That's enough for about every 2000 miles.

In order to delay the abrasion described above, I add 2 glasses of two-stroke oil or MMO to the tank per tank filling.

Gold Digger 07-06-2020 06:52 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

What I have done on one of my "A" tanks that has a small rust problem and ruins my valve soon after I install a new one even with a new pencil filter is put a magnet with a hook on it inside the tanks bottom. From time to time I reach down inside the tank with a wire hook and pull the magnet out and clean it off. The problem seems to be getting better with time.

Werner 07-07-2020 04:55 AM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Thats a very good hint, Gild Digger! That I'l do too.

In the past I put some big brass nuts in the tank. They scratch the ground.

JD 1931 07-07-2020 07:31 AM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

tried several time to rebuild original , no luck even after buying rebuild kits....bought new original type

30 Closed Cab PU 07-07-2020 10:48 AM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Digger (Post 1906660)
What I have done on one of my "A" tanks that has a small rust problem and ruins my valve soon after I install a new one even with a new pencil filter is put a magnet with a hook on it inside the tanks bottom. From time to time I reach down inside the tank with a wire hook and pull the magnet out and clean it off. The problem seems to be getting better with time.


Have seen a couple of guys attach a small chain or wire to a magnet, and then to the gas cap. Being careful to make sure it does not snag the fuel gauge. Makes magnet removal easy.

Ernie Vitucci 07-07-2020 11:36 AM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Ruth...Well Shit! I lied! I went back to my file and discovered that I purchased the shut off valve from Bratton's Antique Auto Parts. 1-800-255-1929. My 2019 catalog shows it on page 61 and the part number is 13330 for 28/29 and 13350 for 30/31. The price is $61.05. I apologize for the incorrect information. Ernie in Arizona

30 Closed Cab PU 07-07-2020 11:59 AM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1906865)
Ruth...Well Shit! I lied! I went back to my file and discovered that I purchased the shut off valve from Bratton's Antique Auto Parts. 1-800-255-1929. My 2019 catalog shows it on page 61 and the part number is 13330 for 28/29 and 13350 for 30/31. The price is $61.05. I apologize for the incorrect information. Ernie in Arizona




Had issues, installed a 30/31 Brattons fuel shutoff with pencil filter. Been good for 3 years. Brattons are U.S made and guaranteed for 3 years, though I perhaps doubt they would warranty for tank trash damage. Would have to call them to find out.

Ruth 07-07-2020 12:26 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1906865)
Ruth...Well Shit! I lied! I went back to my file and discovered that I purchased the shut off valve from Bratton's Antique Auto Parts. 1-800-255-1929. My 2019 catalog shows it on page 61 and the part number is 13330 for 28/29 and 13350 for 30/31. The price is $61.05. I apologize for the incorrect information. Ernie in Arizona

No problem Ernie. Snyder's is usually the first place I shop and I couldn't find the ball valve back when I was looking for one so I bought it from Bratton's.

Ernie Vitucci 07-07-2020 12:37 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

Cool...Walt and company are good people...Ernie in Arizona

ltdann 07-08-2020 06:51 AM

Re: Fuel shut off valve
 

I replaced my shutoff valve this past weekend.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.