The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   restoring front emblem (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31676)

'29wagon 03-17-2011 02:14 AM

restoring front emblem

I know many of you send it out to the pro. with a delicate touch .
I'd just like to know if you do take on this task ,
is wax an obvious to fill in the trough before enamel , is it wise to prime this piece and how much clear for depth to the finish .

Tom Wesenberg 03-17-2011 03:18 AM

Re: restoring front emblem

NONE of the above. The enamel isn't an enamel paint. but more like a powdered colored glass that melts and flows together at a very high temp.

When I was in 9th grade shop class we had to make fishing lures by hammering a piece of copper into a spoon shape, then apply some kind of glue and enamel in 3 or 4 colors, then stick it into a kiln to flow out the enamel. I thought it was an easy job and would like to do some more of it, but don't know where to buy the supplies. I need to repair the gas tank badges on my BMW motorcycles.

1931 flamingo 03-17-2011 08:58 AM

Years and years ago my mother had a friend who made jewelery and enameled like the emblems. You mught try to find a person locally who makes jewelery as a hobby or business. Sometimes I've seen these people at craft fairs, some swap meets, etc.
Worth a shot.
Paul in CT

Glenn C. 03-17-2011 09:12 AM

There was a posting pertaining to the subject sometime back. I believe the process is called "Cloisonne" and as the proceedure Tom mentions is correct.

RonC 03-17-2011 09:24 AM

they say she is the best

http://www.maxwellenamels.com/About_Me.html

msmaron 03-17-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 177508)

Without a doubt the best, Just got 2 back and amazing, NOT Cheap but if you are doing fine point the only way to go,, Well worth and a very nice person,

Hunter 03-17-2011 10:22 AM

Yes! She does outstanding work.

wrndln 03-17-2011 11:57 AM

Chuck Conway in MA also refinishes the blue style emblems. I had 2 or 3 redone and they look very good to me. They don't have the dull nickel finish, but still look very good. I think the nickel will dull over time. He only charges about $50 to $55 each to do each emblem if you have the emblem to restore. I sent him a couple pretty rough emblems with chunks of blue material missing and they looked very good when I got them back. I believe Karla, who does an excellent job I have heard, but charge much more - time and material at about $200 to $250 per emblem. If it is a fine points car to be judged, Karla probably the one to use.
Rusty Nelson

Roadster62 03-17-2011 08:43 PM

Thanks for the like to Karla's site, nice to know that there is someone still restoring these items.

'29wagon 03-18-2011 01:38 PM

Nice to know they are doing a professional job.
I'l take my time looking into this a bit further . thanks for the responses .
money's tight but i'm still pushing forward with it .

howie123 03-19-2011 09:28 AM

I repaired a radiator emblem for use on my speedster. Not a professional job but it looks nice for a driver. Some of the blue enamel was broken and missing. I went to the craft store and bought an art pencil to match the blue. I ground the colored "lead" into a fine powder and mixed it with clear epoxy. I used the colored epoxy to fill the defect. After curing I sanded and polished it back to a shiny finish. The plating was gone so the Ford script and border show bare copper. I sprayed on a coat of clear and left it at that. Again, not a professional job or completely authentic but it doesn't look bad.

C26Pinelake 12-01-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 177539)
Without a doubt the best, Just got 2 back and amazing, NOT Cheap but if you are doing fine point the only way to go,, Well worth and a very nice person,

What was the cost ?
Wayne