The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Right hand Speedometer cable placement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283423)

verrece 06-30-2020 08:24 PM

Right hand Speedometer cable placement

Does anyone know how the speedometer cable is routed in a right hand drive 29 model A?.

Take in mind that In the drive side (right) there are the steering column, clutch and brake pedals also, so it must be diferent position than the Left hand drive.

Synchro909 06-30-2020 11:07 PM

Re: Right hand Speedometer cable placement

In my cars, there is a cut out in the metal where the floorboards fit. It is close to the middle of the car but I can't be more precise than that at the moment. I cut a notch in the floorboard an bring it up through there, then through the tunnel under the tank. The cable is always too long so it takes a circuitous route to get there.
Whether Henry did it that way, I don't know but why else would that cutout be in the firewall?

updraught 07-01-2020 01:17 AM

>>In my cars, there is a cut out in the metal where the floorboards fit.
This might be your car here?

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTI...al-RHD-_57.jpg

Synchro909 07-01-2020 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1904732)
>>In my cars, there is a cut out in the metal where the floorboards fit.
This might be your car here?

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTI...al-RHD-_57.jpg

Wrong colour but you can see the cutout.

john charlton 07-01-2020 04:41 AM

If your phaeton has an original RHD body you will see the oblong cutout where the top of the front floor board fits .It is more or less in line where the starter button sticks through the cowl . My 30 cabriolet has the factory floor boards and an angled slot is cut into the floor board top edge . I have RHD early 28,29, 30/31 and 31 indented cowl and the cut out is in the same place in all of them . On my LHD cars I route the cable the same way as it is a much clearer run less tight turns . I just groove the floor board dont bother with the cutout and it fits fine .

John in dull rain on the way looks like we had our summer Suffolk County England .

updraught 07-01-2020 06:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just realised that there is no middle starter hole in that photo.
Early 28 RHD? Would be tricky to get to the starter button.

George 07-01-2020 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
attaching a pic of mine. above posts about notching back side of floorboard are correct.

john charlton 07-01-2020 07:41 AM

Yes Updraught your pics are an early phaeton or roadster cowl . I have a March 28 phaeton and the starter rod is the same as LHD it comes through the cowl above the starter switch you can see the hole in your pics .Its OK but if you have a front seat passenger you have to reach your foot across to push it and ask the passenger to give you room .But you can of course ask the passenger to do it but I cut a hole and installed the regular RHD setup .I filled the original hole with a nut and bolt and lost many fine point judging standard points !!!

John in same weather Suffolk County England .

shew01 07-01-2020 04:16 PM

Right hand Speedometer cable placement

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 1904754)
attaching a pic of mine. above posts about notching back side of floorboard are correct.

Can you explain the pedals, please? I recognize what appears to be the clutch and brake. I presume the little button looking “pedals” are the starter and the accelerator, correct? Which is which?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

updraught 07-01-2020 06:37 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1459163035

How it works

Synchro909 07-01-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shew01 (Post 1904938)
Can you explain the pedals, please? I recognize what appears to be the clutch and brake. I presume the little button looking “pedals” are the starter and the accelerometer, correct? Which is which?

The starter is to the left of the clutch pedal. There is a bracket not unlike the one you guys have for the accelerator linkage behind the block for the starter. You can easily see the location of the speedo cable as it comes through the floor. (note that the pedals are round - only the pedals on the early multi plate clutch cars were oval.)
The two things between the clutch and brake pedals are the accelerator (the left one) and a foot rest to the right. I have driven both LHD and RHD Model As and prefer this setup. Double declutching while braking is much easier. It is the genuine "heel and toe" action. Toes on the brakes, heel on the accelerator.

Synchro909 07-01-2020 07:11 PM

To our American friends: Note the shape of the clutch pedal. This engine does not have the manifolds fitted but it doesn't take much imagination to understand how tight it is for the clutch pedal to be depressed. It goes between the steering column and the manifold clamp - very tight. That is why we (I) modify the exhaust clamp so there are no nust to foul the pedal. NOT one of Henry's better designs.

shew01 07-01-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1904989)
The starter is to the left of the clutch pedal. There is a bracket not unlike the one you guys have for the accelerator linkage behind the block for the starter. You can easily see the location of the speedo cable as it comes through the floor. (note that the pedals are round - only the pedals on the early multi plate clutch cars were oval.)
The two things between the clutch and brake pedals are the accelerator (the left one) and a foot rest to the right. I have driven both LHD and RHD Model As and prefer this setup. Double declutching while braking is much easier. It is the genuine "heel and toe" action. Toes on the brakes, heel on the accelerator.

Oh, I see the starter and the accelerator foot rest now. Thanks for the clarification.

john charlton 07-02-2020 04:27 AM

Interestingly the English built cars and trucks had round smooth pedals with the multi disc clutch . The early instruction book shows the round pedals no ribs . The later English instruction books state the the model A has a single plate clutch while the AF still has the multi disc . The picture in both books are the same as the early book . The even later book both 24 HP and 14.9 HP have the single disc clutch and the pedals are now ribbed . Ford of Canada supplied the British Commonwealth which was a vast market and I guess their multi disc cars had oval pedals were they ribbed or smooth ? It would seem that could be the English pedals were "Made in England" The RHD early cars were exported to South America and made in USA i just wondered if they had round or oval .

John in sunny spells Suffolk County England .

Synchro909 07-02-2020 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1905091)
Interestingly the English built cars and trucks had round smooth pedals with the multi disc clutch . The early instruction book shows the round pedals no ribs . The later English instruction books state the the model A has a single plate clutch while the AF still has the multi disc . The picture in both books are the same as the early book . The even later book both 24 HP and 14.9 HP have the single disc clutch and the pedals are now ribbed . Ford of Canada supplied the British Commonwealth which was a vast market and I guess their multi disc cars had oval pedals were they ribbed or smooth ? It would seem that could be the English pedals were "Made in England" The RHD early cars were exported to South America and made in USA i just wondered if they had round or oval .

John in sunny spells Suffolk County England .

Ribbed here.