The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   #*&! Fuel Tank Replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151879)

jrhaelig 10-12-2014 08:22 PM

#*&! Fuel Tank Replacement

Would anyone be surprised if a 90 minute job turned into a 5 hour event?

I got a steel tank from Bob Drake and went at it today.

The old tank wiggled in and out from the bottom just fine so I expected the same.

Didn't happen. No fussing about Bob or his suppliers - everything lined up and it would have been a breeze to drop in from the top. Either my span just wasn't wide enough or the flange may have been 1/4 to 3/8 too wide.

Best I could do was to top-mount the filler side and under-mount the passenger side - after cutting off the cage nut. I'd like to get a second bolt on that side....but at least it's in before the weather turns & my JB Weld repairs drop off!

fordor41 10-12-2014 10:57 PM

Re: #*&! Fuel Tank Replacement

Surprised, not me. I would assume that if someone is making a repro part and they have the part in front of them, the new part would be pretty damned close to the original. I guess not! They always change something whether it's a bolt size or thread or just a different size and then say "no one has complained before". Go figure.

Charlie ny 10-13-2014 08:36 AM

jr,
I installed a Drake tank in my '41 1/2 ton prior to setting the bed in place.
Afterward I discovered the Drake sending unit was no good so I decided to remove
the tank and rework the sending unit flange for a Ford s/u. The tank was trapped
by about 3/8". The 'kid' at Drake said this has never happened before and I must
not know what I am doing. I made an adapter .
I will drag this out a bit and tell you I did finally talk to Bob HIMSELF....he was
attentive and offered a merchandise certificate to me. Big difference between the
help and the MAN.
Charlie ny

FL&WVMIKE 10-13-2014 10:38 AM

"No one ever had that problem, before".
That is a stock reply from BD.
MIKE :) (mikeburch)

supereal 10-13-2014 11:39 AM

I put one of "Yogi's" plastic fuel tanks in my '47. The only hassle, of course, was removing the "cage nuts", otherwise, it slipped into place much easier than the other repros. The original tank had the usual pinholes from road crud collecting on the top.

Marv 10-13-2014 03:51 PM

On my 39 sedan i made a Bob Drake steel gas tank fit for mounting with the body on with a sledge and a block of wood. I dented the drivers side in approximately 3 inches below the rib and it did not hurt anything and you realy do not even notice it.

TagMan 10-13-2014 04:01 PM

I bought a 16-gal tank from Tanks, Inc. It fit my coupe OK, except the sending unit on the tank is not accessible from the stock opening ! You'd think they could punch the sending unit mounting hole it the correct position, wouldn't you ??

dwick01 10-13-2014 05:30 PM

I got my steel tank from Drake for my '47 and it fit great. Had no problems.

George/Maine 10-13-2014 06:34 PM

I had the same problem with my 39 tank, the bottom half was shifted to filler side 1/4". I took 2 ball peen hammers and formed to get tank to move to left side more, then trim other side. I had just put body back on and wasn't going to take it off again.
That was the fix then remove body. Then the caged nut were to small.
I guess those rejects are still around.