The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is the MAC's auto parts Model A Ford Engine Stand Adapter necessary? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291171)

kawagumby 12-05-2020 01:52 PM

Is the MAC's auto parts Model A Ford Engine Stand Adapter necessary?

Hi all,
I'm think of pulling the engine in my '31 this spring. I see that Mac's sells an engine stand adapter to hold the engine. Do those among you who have pulled engines have any thoughts on this fairly expensive tool? Is it really necessary and are there equal or better alternatives such as just bolting the rear directly to the stand?

Thanks,
Tom

redmodelt 12-05-2020 03:02 PM

Re: Is the MAC's auto parts Model A Ford Engine Stand Adapter necessary?

If you mean this type, then yes it kinda is needed; https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
It mounts and holds the engine from the side like the KR Wilson stand. Allowing the motor to be tipped on its nose when doing the flywheel housing setup or rotated around to do rods. Some operations can't be done using the rear mounted setup such as the flywheel housing setup. You could resell it after you use it and reduce the over all cost. (I did not look at Macs price so don't know what it is)

Charlie Stephens 12-05-2020 03:25 PM

Check your local club and see if they have one they loan. If you are not a member maybe they have one they would rent.

Charlie Stephens

denis4x4 12-05-2020 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fortunately. I have an engine hoist that I can use for doing flywheel/clutch work.

kawagumby 12-05-2020 03:53 PM

Thanks all, I'll spring for one.

Tom

Bob C 12-05-2020 05:22 PM

Save yourself money and headaches and get it from Snyders,
Mac's is the last place you want to get parts.

The Master Cylinder 12-05-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1959769)

Plus Snyder's is about $40 cheaper.

ed thibodeau 12-05-2020 06:26 PM

They are quite simple so I made my own.

700rpm 12-05-2020 06:43 PM

I made one from a piece of angle iron. It’s not rocket surgery.

kawagumby 12-05-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1959769)

I did. What sold me was price and the product looked a bit better. But, I had a heck of a time getting the hang of their software, i.e. getting the "cart" to load the product. I also would rather use Paypal Credit which they don't accept, but if they have better prices and products, I'll continue to make an exception, for sure.
Tom

700rpm 12-05-2020 09:25 PM

Snyder’s should get that web site fixed. It’s a ball of confusion. I gave up and placed my last order with Mike’s. The internet is about 25 years old and commercial sites can and must be made easy to use. Snyder’s catalog is also unwieldy. Altogether they need to hire a professional marketing agency that knows how to build successful sales tools that communicate easily and clearly in both digital and print. Another strike against them is their site doesn’t work with the Apple browser. This is bush league and unacceptable for internet sales.

Jack Shaft 12-05-2020 10:36 PM

I find Snyders easy to navigate..if you're handy running up a side engine bracket is pretty easy.

CarlG 12-05-2020 10:46 PM

I got mine from Bert's. No matter where you get it from, it's made by Bill Stipe.

J Franklin 12-06-2020 01:40 AM

I think you can still order by phone!

marty in Ohio 12-06-2020 07:57 AM

Snyder's has always been our "A Team's" go to guys. You call and order on Monday and take a pleasant 1 1/2 hour drive on Tuesday and pick up your parts. Mike and all the guys at the counter are friendly and helpful. You stop for lunch at the Amish restaurant and are home by 3:00. If you're lucky you might go across the road to see "the collection"
Marty

holdover 12-06-2020 12:42 PM

I understand they have a few Model As, does anyone have a link to PICs of them? I have dealt with many of the suppliers, most all class acts, but Snyder's parts seem to show up at my garage on a regular basis, especially with 5 mouths to feed..

'29 Coupe
'29 CCPU
'31 TuDor
'31 AA SWB
'31 AA LWB

kawagumby 12-06-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1959872)
I find Snyders easy to navigate..if you're handy running up a side engine bracket is pretty easy.

I had no problem with the site today...maybe it was a glitch yesterday.

Y-Blockhead 12-06-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1959854)
Snyder’s should get that web site fixed. It’s a ball of confusion. I gave up and placed my last order with Mike’s. The internet is about 25 years old and commercial sites can and must be made easy to use. Snyder’s catalog is also unwieldy. Altogether they need to hire a professional marketing agency that knows how to build successful sales tools that communicate easily and clearly in both digital and print. Another strike against them is their site doesn’t work with the Apple browser. This is bush league and unacceptable for internet sales.

It is sad but Snyder's web site used to be really good. You could save items in your 'wish' list then add them to your carts as you want.

Since it has been "updated" it is terrible. They eliminated the Wish list and now have this mad mess of Saved Carts, Active Carts, Updated Carts. Very Un-user friendly. I find their search engine not as good as the old site had either.

I find myself more and more ordering to Bratton's... I know of others being driven away by their web site also.

WTSHNN 12-06-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdover (Post 1960053)
I understand they have a few Model As, does anyone have a link to PICs of them?

https://www.wytv.com/myvalleycars/my...november-2020/

David R. 12-07-2020 08:42 PM

I made one from scrap I had lying about the shop.