The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Traditional fuel system for duel carbs? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226009)

Solo_909 08-04-2017 10:47 AM

Traditional fuel system for duel carbs?

Hey guys,

I'm installing two 94's and was wondering what traditionally was done to deliver fuel to both carbs? I found so many different options such as red see through fuel lines, hard line that split, etc. I want to try and be period correct as much as I can. Post up some photos or links if you have any!

Thanks,
George

tubman 08-04-2017 11:05 AM

Re: Traditional fuel system for duel carbs?

In 1961, when I put dual carbs on my '41 Merc powered '36 coupe D/Altered, I used my dad's tubing cutter and flaring tool and used copper tubing and brass fittings from the local hardware store. Worked good.

drolston 08-04-2017 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A fuel log (fuel line splitter) was generally mounted on the firewall with brass nipples and clear neoprene gas line, which had to be long and floppy. Red tubing was a fad for hot rods in the late 50's and early 60's. Ugly.
A neater setup is banjo fittings connected by clear tubing. That also cleans up plumbing of the mechanical pump and installation of a fuel pressure gauge which is very handy for diagnosis of fuel issues. The picture is my '41 with 3 97's. A pair of 94's could be done the same way.

JSeery 08-04-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1508628)
Red tubing was a fad for hot rods in the late 50's and early 60's. Ugly.

Just because you consider it ugly has nothing to do with it being period correct! It was the in thing at the time. :)

Modern taste and period correct are two totally different things. I'm currently setting up a 33 5w for one of my sons and we want it to be mid-50s style and that is what it is going to be!!

drolston 08-04-2017 01:03 PM

Red, clear, copper tubing would all be period correct. Banjo fittings and pressure gauge were also used in that era, but a budget issue for many, including myself. Fitted copper lines for the dual 94's on my '35 coupe in 1959.

weemark 08-04-2017 01:15 PM

what period are you aiming for? 30s? 40s? 50s? 60s? 70s? 80s? 90s?

hardtimes 08-04-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1508657)
Just because you consider it ugly has nothing to do with it being period correct! It was the in thing at the time. :)

Modern taste and period correct are two totally different things. I'm currently setting up a 33 5w for one of my sons and we want it to be mid-50s style and that is what it is going to be!!

Regarding 'red fuel line' and 'neoprene clear' fuel line use.
I've never used the 'clear' neoprene line and wouldn't for fear of same thing happening to me, as what happened with 'ruby red' line. Unless it was made differently back when, I wonder how many back then, had same cracking/disintergrating as with what product is available now ?

Darn near burned my ride down, after only being in service for few months.
Cruising down main street when smelled/saw a tiny stream of gas pissing above cowl (no windshield made it easy to see). Gas on the face made it easy to taste ! Shut engine down (emer shutoff switch). Pulled to curb and saw that entire right side of engine was covered in gas, with smoke (evap gas) coming off of hot header.
Close exam of 'ruby red' hose revealed two things; all hose had cracks throughout; the 'ruby red' color had turned to an ugly pale pink yellowish color. I figured that it is true that is, it takes a spark to start a fire. The master shut off saved me misery ! It sure looked bitchin while new tho :)

scicala 08-04-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1508628)
A fuel log (fuel line splitter) was generally mounted on the firewall with brass nipples and clear neoprene gas line, which had to be long and floppy. Red tubing was a fad for hot rods in the late 50's and early 60's. Ugly.
A neater setup is banjo fittings connected by clear tubing. That also cleans up plumbing of the mechanical pump and installation of a fuel pressure gauge which is very handy for diagnosis of fuel issues. The picture is my '41 with 3 97's. A pair of 94's could be done the same way.

He's looking for period correct, and not modern versions of period correct. I think the red fuel hose looks good, and is more period correct. Some people put the red hose over polished copper or steel hard lines.

Sal

PeterC 08-04-2017 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how we handled fuel for my 35 Coupe - circa early 50's period build
(click pic to enlarge)Fuel flows from the stock fuel pump stand - through an original Edmunds fuel pressure regulator - then to black rubber hoses to banjo type fittings.

weemark 08-04-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterC (Post 1508724)
Here is how we handled fuel for my 35 Coupe - circa early 50's period build
(click pic to enlarge)Fuel flows from the stock fuel pump stand - through an original Edmunds fuel pressure regulator - then to black rubber hoses to banjo type fittings.

peter your engine looks superb in there.

Bronco Ron 08-05-2017 07:59 AM

George, Try Charlie Price's Vintage Speed in Florida, 772-778-0809. His website has some really nice metal fuel lines for both Stromberg and Holley.
Bronco Ron

Biggles 08-05-2017 08:27 AM

PeterC - is that a crankcase breather plumbed into the top of the blower?

Sorry, George, don't want to hijack your thread.

Solo_909 08-05-2017 09:37 AM

Thanks guys!

PeterC 08-05-2017 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=Biggles;1509002]PeterC - is that a crankcase breather plumbed into the top of the blower?

No - the tube you see in the upper portion of the blower (just under the twin 48 carbs) is a vacuum line which goes to a splitter manifold that serves the vacuum needs for the distributor, Columbia 2sp rear and wipers.:D

blucar 08-05-2017 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have attached a pix of the dual carb set-up on the 59AB in my '36 Ford coupe. The original installation was done in 1955, About 5 years ago I changed the fuel lines from the pump to the fuel block and to the carbs using hose that is friendly to modern fuel. Don't want to turn the car into a "Ronson".
The engine installation as shown in the pix was done for performance and longevity. I'm from the school of: Chrome don't make an engine go any faster..

adileo 08-05-2017 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
May not be period correct but another option...Here's mine:

RalphM 08-05-2017 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My AV8,
Just hoses run from a fuel block on the firewall.
Just ignore the fuel pump block off, as I'm running an electric pump in the trunk.
I do plan to hook up the pump.

BUBBAS IGNITION 08-05-2017 01:33 PM

Check this site and the Gallery of pictures. Dick used to (once upon a time) live in Franklin Indiana and followed his grand kids to Texas. Builds some pretty cool stuff. Tell him " Bubba" sent ya...

http://dickshotrodcarbs.com/home.html

VeryTangled 08-05-2017 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rotated

RalphM 08-05-2017 10:04 PM

Thanks, these puters are always Turning things topsey turvey!