The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pacemakers and Model A ignition systems (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123107)

Bill Goddard 11-13-2013 06:49 AM

Pacemakers and Model A ignition systems

Tomorrow I am going to be evaluated for a pacemaker. Does anyone know if there is a history of pacemakers being affected by the unshielded Model A ignition? Thanks Bill G

UPDATE Friday 11/22: Had the pacemaker installed yesterday and came home today. Left front shoulder area feels sore but otherwise I feel better already. Medtronics guy was there and confirmed everything you all said. Have to take it easy for a couple of weeks to let it settle in. Thanks again for your helpful replies. Bill G

springerpete 11-13-2013 07:30 AM

Re: Pacemakers and Model A ignition systems

Did a lot of inquiry before I took a friend on a long trip in my model T Ford roadster pick up. With the ignition and the magneto right in or below the seat I was concerned. Talked with lots of Doctors and others both in and out of the hobby and got a " no problem " answer. Went for the tour and had no problem. That was 2-3 years ago and he is still fine with no pacemaker issues. Now, is a Model T ignition a bigger issue in this regard than a Model A ? I would think it might be. I'm sure others will chime in here.

txturbo 11-13-2013 08:01 AM

Wrap yourself in aluminum foil.....you'll be fine.

Kevin in NJ 11-13-2013 08:23 AM

Depends, are you getting the refurbished 1970 unit or a modern one that keeps track of your every heart beat?

adelaide 32 11-13-2013 08:36 AM

I have a medtronic pacemaker/ defribulater( I dont know the model number but it was brand new in 2011) and have no problems with my B model that has an A distributer. The only time I have set the e.m.f. warning alarm off on the pacemaker was when I was in the roof of the house and the wiring to the kitchen light that was directly under my pacemaker was suddenly turned on. I think you should check and see if you proposed device has the e.m.f. warning alarm as it really does make you get out of e.m.f. fields in a hurry.

jhowes 11-13-2013 10:52 AM

I also have a unit that does not have an emf warning system incorporated in it. It went off and knocked me to the floor from Powder coating with a hand held unit from Eastwood. Also do not weld with any kind of arc involved. I am learning to gas weld and braze but to old to learn new tricks very well.

Chris in CT 11-13-2013 11:04 AM

Hey Bill, I've had a pacemaker now for 11 years, in fact am working on my second unit. Never had a problem with my Model A, or any ignition source, for that matter.
The new ones are pretty sophisticated....
Metronome Man

MikeK 11-13-2013 03:15 PM

If you are that concerned, why not just replace the dizzy cap with a modern one and use five pieces of modern suppression core wire. One from the coil, four to the plugs. A lot of guys that tour with CB radios do this.
http://macsautoparts.com/images/400/A12105MC_pJPG.JPG

Jim Huseby 11-13-2013 03:26 PM

Hi Bill- In about '91 I was with my dad the day he had his pacemaker implanted. Three months or so later I was down visiting him out in his shop with his '24 "T" roadster. As you know, the porcelain spark plug terminals from the coil box protrude through the firewall toward the engine. He said that a week earlier, he was running the engine with the hood open and had his left hand resting on the cowl when he reached across to the other side and accidentally laid his right wrist on one of the plug terminals, the jolt passing through his heart. It didn't affect his pacemaker and he lived another 16 years when cancer took him at age 88.

700rpm 11-13-2013 04:09 PM

Wow. I've never heard about this. The stuff I learn here amazes me.

Cool Hand Lurker 11-13-2013 06:14 PM

I got one in 2008 and have had no problem driving Model T or Model A. But once I was pushing hard on a 1/2" drill that was close to my shoulder and that did affect it. It shut down for awhile and I had to sit down for a bit until it self-corrected. I have not tried arc welding since I got it so I can't comment on that. My sons now have my arc welders.

JackA 11-13-2013 06:48 PM

Wow, I think that I have Pacemaker Envy!

Maclab58 11-13-2013 08:31 PM

Bill,
I sent you a PM. I am a pacemaker rep for Medtronic.

Jim

Cool Hand Lurker 11-13-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackA (Post 764761)
Wow, I think that I have Pacemaker Envy!

Huh?
There is no such thing as "Pacemaker Envy" sonny, and these are legitimate questions for those of us who enjoy wrenching and welding but are held back because of circumstances. I wish I didn't have it but I can't live very well with a pulse rate of only 37, and the pacemaker kicks it up to 60 all the time.

kenny in k'zoo 11-14-2013 11:22 AM

I say more power to anyone with a pacemaker or any other replacement parts who still wants to drive their A. This is a legitimate question and deserves the straight answers he's gotten.
I have a friend who had to drop a TIG class when he got his pacemaker, the doctor just wasn't comfortable with the high frequency arc.

jim k 11-14-2013 07:38 PM

Bill my Dad rides with me in my T and my A he has a pacemaker never had a problem

Don S 11-14-2013 07:47 PM

My borther-in -law was told to stay away from working on cars with electronic ignitions. Fact, or Doctor not sure and just protecting himself ?

Maclab58 11-14-2013 08:30 PM

Bill,
How did it go today?

Cool Hand Lurker 11-15-2013 12:33 PM

Here is a link to the Medtronic website information on things that may affect your Pacemaker: http://www.medtronic.com/rhythms/dow...aws_online.pdf

Also, I remember one other time that my pacemaker "took a little time off" that caused me to sit down for a while until it recovered, that had no connection to welding. I was testing a DC motor and held the leads to the terminals of a 12V battery with my bare fingers. Apparently enough 12V current went through my arms and across my chest where the pacemaker is and I felt the heaviness in my chest and the difference in my breathing right away. It took sitting down for a few minutes to recover.

It is the stuff you don't think about that gets your attention! :)

1937pickup 11-15-2013 03:04 PM

Worst case is you will speed up when the car is reved up, not bad when you need to get something done in a hurry.