The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moto-meter flip cap gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327976)

wcmill 06-23-2023 06:04 PM

Moto-meter flip cap gasket

Hi gents, supposed to drive to a show tomorrow so took the 31 out for a rip and ended up puking rad fluid all over the car. Upon further investigation I stumbled upon my own stupidity and forgot to install the gasket that goes under the flip portion of the cap:mad:!
It’s gone, vanished, probably in last months trash bin. Anyway…..I’m desperate to either make one or improvise so I can drive the car tomorrow.
Any of you guys ever made one of these or have any thoughts on how to cobble something together until I can replace the gasket?? Fat O-ring?? RTV ??
Need something QUICK!

Gary WA 06-23-2023 06:39 PM

Re: Moto-meter flip cap gasket

No RTV! Maybe some cardboard cut your own temp fix. or if you have some cork cut to fit!

eagle 06-23-2023 07:08 PM

an O ring works just fine. Even without a gasket it shouldn't really puke out the cap. Make sure you only fill the radiator until it JUST covers the tubes. I have an O ring gasket under my Quail, but even before I put it in it really didn't leak much, more just would seep out very little.

Mulletwagon 06-23-2023 08:19 PM

Found a very satisfactory O Ring at my local ACE Hardware.

wcmill 06-23-2023 08:25 PM

Thanks guys, I’ll try the o ring fix.
I hope it’s not something worse!

nkaminar 06-24-2023 07:36 AM

I also used the fat O ring.

abachman3 06-24-2023 06:26 PM

Is there a recommended size # for the fat O-ring?

wcmill 06-24-2023 07:09 PM

I looked at 3 different places and came up empty today. The OD is 1 7/8”. Or I’m sure the equivalent metric would work as well. I found plenty with the right diameter but none thick enough.
I too am curious at the correct dimensions that would be a successful fit.

Big hammer 06-24-2023 07:40 PM

In a standard non pressurized system you shouldn’t get coolant puking out. Run a stiff wire down the overflow pipe, the little pipe under the cap, until it pushes out dirt bug nest rust. Use a cereal box and cut your own gasket, if one isn’t thick enough stack two together. Make sure the coolant level is under the baffle or just above the radiator cooling tubes. Next go to show and enjoy!

arnhemmer 06-24-2023 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcmill (Post 2235413)
Thanks guys, I’ll try the o ring fix.
I hope it’s not something worse!

Syder o-ring part number A-18360-go

Jerry Kzoo 06-25-2023 06:33 AM

I have a couple of other tips on this.

We were working on a broken speedometer cable the other day and also had coolant puking out and found that the speedo cable with the end broke off makes a good tool to clear out the stoppage in the overflow tube. Now in my toolbox for Model A tools.

Also, if your gasket is not giving a good seal I believe the brass shims for the gas gauge will fit under the gasket to provide slightly more pressure.

Hope this helps. Jerry

old31 06-25-2023 06:56 AM

Yes, the gas gauge shims are very good to use on the radiator.