The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine Splash Pans (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286653)

Conaway2 09-04-2020 01:37 PM

Engine Splash Pans

I’ve had splash pans on my car since the 1980’s - primarily to keep the engine compartment a bit cleaner. However, I’ve been reading recently that the splash pans also help keep the engine running cooler.

Has anyone actually measured a temperature difference to back this up ? I do not have a temperature gauge on my car.

Thanks - Jim

alexiskai 09-04-2020 02:59 PM

Re: Engine Splash Pans

1 Attachment(s)
Apropo of nothing, I recently found this photo posted by Dave Lopes in 2010, showing his all-original Fordor and how the pans were mounted at the factory. I've seen folks ask about this occasionally, so wanted to mention it.

Synchro909 09-04-2020 04:55 PM

I've heard the same about aprons and fan shroud but have no figures. I don't run them and have no trouble normally. The only time mine will overheat is when I'm towing at 50+ mph in ambient mid 30s temps (mid 90s F) and 5.25 X 21 tyres on the car and the 26% mitchell engaged. I don't fuss about it because I know I'm asking a lot anyway. All I have to do is drop out of O/D and lift the foot a bit and the temp comes back. I can't see that engine aprons etc are going to make much difference.

700rpm 09-04-2020 11:24 PM

I put ‘em on because they belong there, and I like my cars as close to complete and original as safely possible. But I admit they are a pain to remove and install when necessary, like dropping the pan. My engines run cool, but I can’t say that is due to the pans.

DBSHELTON 09-05-2020 06:50 AM

Most don't fit perfectly as delivered, but after a little bending and tweaking to adjust the fit, they really come on and off very easily.

Ruth 09-05-2020 08:32 AM

I think the engine pans really 'finish off' the engine compartment. I tapped the holes in the frame so I could install all the bolts from underneath and didn't have to hassle with putting the nuts on.

Licensed to kill 09-05-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1927795)
I think the engine pans really 'finish off' the engine compartment. I tapped the holes in the frame so I could install all the bolts from underneath and didn't have to hassle with putting the nuts on.

I did similar but rathe than tapping the holes I installed rivnuts. Can remove/install them in minutes. Also, I have what I am lead to understand is an aftermarket oil filler tube with a rather large breather (draft?) tube. I drilled a hole in the engine pan for the breather time to run through so the end is below the pan.

Purdy Swoft 09-05-2020 09:25 AM

I use engine pans on my model A's for the same reasons as others .

Chris in WNC 09-05-2020 07:14 PM

if they weren't necessary, Ford would have left them off to save the cost......

michael a 09-06-2020 12:05 AM

My car runs30 degrees cooler with pans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

700rpm 09-06-2020 10:03 PM

Henry warned us about "Gyp parts".

bavArian 09-07-2020 04:16 AM

I think the main reason for improved cooling would be that the air gets directed more onto the manifold and then pushed out through the bonnet vents?

Conaway2 09-07-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bavArian (Post 1928552)
I think the main reason for improved cooling would be that the air gets directed more onto the manifold and then pushed out through the bonnet vents?

Yes - I would agree.