The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6 V Lithium Jump Start? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219356)

Anteek29 04-22-2017 08:45 PM

6 V Lithium Jump Start?

I really wish some company made a 6 volt power pack for easy jump starts...like the nifty 12 volt portable ones I see advertised.
I know, I know, use 12 V between starter side to ground, key on, no lights.
(I don't want to think that hard). ;)

cpf240 04-22-2017 09:22 PM

Re: 6 V Lithium Jump Start?

Why not use the hand crank?

J Franklin 04-22-2017 09:41 PM

Yes a crank is always ready to start your car, better than a push!

Mike V. Florida 04-22-2017 09:56 PM

Why not use the 12 volts? Don't put your foot on the brake and keep the lights off and you are good to go.

Pinesdune 04-23-2017 08:24 AM

Why not write the company and let them know, it's all in the circuit board /relays that controls it, whether the packs put output power in series or not. And why your at it let them know to make 24volts an option for the old diesels lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt in NJ 04-23-2017 08:55 AM

For a while at work they thought those jumper "boxes" were the greatest---then they started catching fire while on charge

Divco one 04-23-2017 08:59 AM

Would a 12 volt jump PAC damage a 6 volt alternator?

Anteek29 04-23-2017 10:48 AM

Can't use a hand crank...have a front-mounted toolbox.

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-23-2017 09:14 PM

If WISHES were DOLLARS, we'd all be RICH.
With a good battery & a 6 Volt alternator, they ALWAYS start.
Bill W.

KGBnut 04-24-2017 07:12 AM

They make them, but they are very hard to find in the USA. Here is one example:
Ceteor SOS 6V-850CA

Maybe we need to convince Bratton's or Snyder's into importing and stocking them.

However, in the short term, aren't these things essentially a gel type battery with a built in trickle charger and some meters and other accessories? Couldn't you get the same functionality out of having a spare (albeit expensive) 6 volt gel battery and just making sure you keep it charged?

barkleydave 04-24-2017 07:36 AM

I have used a 12V Lith battery pack to start a 6 V vehicle.
Your points do not care nor does your coil.
1. Attach to starter Lug.
2.Ground
3.Turn off any lights, or 6 volts acc.
4.Do not activate brake lights
5 Start and immediately remove and off ya go.

Now if it does not turn over immediately and start do not push it find out what the problem is!

Now cranking works and so does pushing but..... If battery is completely dead.... guess what .. no power to ignition so no spark so no go! Not like old magneto ignitions.

katy 04-24-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Now cranking works and so does pushing but..... If battery is completely dead.... guess what .. no power to ignition so no spark so no go!
Not quite true, push starting w/a dead battery works, IF you have a good charging system the generator will put out enough to fire the engine and you're off and running.
Bindar dundat.

Jim/GA 04-24-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGBnut (Post 1462902)
Ceteor SOS 6V-850CA

Maybe we need to convince Bratton's or Snyder's into importing and stocking them.
<snip>

I agree. On that same page, they list a jumper that is switchable between 6 volts and 12 volts.

http://www.ceteor.com/en/boosters/by...612v-1700850ca

Even better! I'd buy one!

Tom Wesenberg 04-24-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGBnut (Post 1462902)
Ceteor SOS 6V-850CA

However, in the short term, aren't these things essentially a gel type battery with a built in trickle charger and some meters and other accessories? Couldn't you get the same functionality out of having a spare (albeit expensive) 6 volt gel battery and just making sure you keep it charged?

Yes, in fact you'd have a stronger longer lasting jump starter because the batteries in the starter packs are quite small.

Better yet, just keep the car in good tune, and replace the battery when it needs to be replaced, instead of waiting for it to die away from home. My 6 volt in my 1950 Studebaker is getting weak, and it's just over 13 years old, so I'll buy a new battery before driving it this summer.

Mitch//pa 04-24-2017 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is our shop 12v booster pack..

Two deep cycle batterys

Paul Bennett 04-25-2017 11:31 PM

That CETEOR 6v/12v battery booster is available in Europe for around $500. Plus VAT of course. Don't thing anyone will be importing them soon.

Tom Walker 04-26-2017 08:38 AM

I bought a Stark Power Li-ion pack, which is very small, about 7 inches by 4 by 1 1/2.
So small can now be carried under seat for emergency start.
It is 12 volts only, but works a treat on our standard 6v Model A.
BUT, I made the mistake of cranking for too long and it melted one of the leads, not the fault of the manufacturer, it has specific instructions on limit of cranking.
Car had ignition fault, as previously it started instantly with the mini power pack.
Not a cure for bad electrics/mechanicals, but a very worthwhile addition to tool box if away from home etc

Now called Jump Box?