The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Skip's rebuilt coils (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287293)

petehoovie 09-15-2020 09:42 PM

Skip's rebuilt coils

Does anyone know if the primary winding in the coils Skip rebuilds have different resistance values than the originals?

deuce_roadster 09-15-2020 11:14 PM

Re: Skip's rebuilt coils

Call Skip and ask him.

35fordtn 09-16-2020 06:57 AM

The last time I compared, the NOS coil I checked was .8 ohms and skips was 1.0

cadillac512 09-16-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1932167)
The last time I compared, the NOS coil I checked was .8 ohms and skips was 1.0

Just last week measured one of Skip's recent coils we installed on a '47 belonging to a friend. 1.2 ohms on my Fluke brand meter.

Terry

rotorwrench 09-17-2020 12:59 PM

When a person is rewinding a coil whether it's for ignition, a horn, or a relay, they generally count the number of turns when they disassemble so they can replicate the number of turns with the proper type and gauge of wire. There can and likely will be some small variances in Ohm values.

When changing from one voltage to another is where the ohms values or number of turns may differ. Skip would be the guy to ask about his rebuilds.

35fordtn 09-17-2020 07:09 PM

I don’t think he is physically rewinding them.

JM 35 Sedan 09-18-2020 11:08 AM

When I visited Skip Haney several years ago, he was not winding the coils himself. This operation was being outsourced at that time to an automated coil winding facility.

tubman 09-18-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1932727)
I don’t think he is physically rewinding them.

Yep. Many of you would be surprised at how he does it.

Bored&Stroked 09-19-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1933065)
Yep. Many of you would be surprised at how he does it.

Any information to share?

Given your comments, my guess is that he removes the stock coil and puts a new "drop in" replacement (that he has made up) and pots it in . . . but that is just a wild ass guess!

Thanks!
B&S

35fordtn 09-19-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1933201)
Any information to share?

Given your comments, my guess is that he removes the stock coil and puts a new "drop in" replacement (that he has made up) and pots it in . . . but that is just a wild ass guess!

Thanks!
B&S

Skip does 4-5 coils a month for us. One time I accidentally dropped one and it took a hard fall, and shattered into 30 pieces exposing the inside. I believe he is just replacing the unit with a modern (and done very professionally I might add) one not having them rewound like so many claim. I did not investigate it as to see what it is and will not share a photo of it as there is no point.
Let’s face it, you couldn’t pay me to clean the crap out of a original coil install a new unit new carbon brush, polish the case, insulate the new unit, and reassemble all for a mere $75 even if the replacement coil was free. He’s found a good thing and charges minimally for a task that is much more difficult than you’d think.

So I will continues to send my coils to him, I have five there right now.

JSeery 09-19-2020 05:30 PM

Sounds smart to me!

Pete 09-19-2020 08:21 PM

I would not rock the boat. If you reverse engineer it and spill all the info, the service could go away. Could you sleep nights then?

35fordtn 09-19-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1933394)
I would not rock the boat. If you reverse engineer it and spill all the info, the service could go away. Could you sleep nights then?

Exactly, who cares! I have no desire or need to reverse engineer someone else idea or product. Especially like I said when he charges a mere $75. Try taking a original coil apart, cleaning the S***T out of the inside and reassemble it and you'll see that no matter what he is doing, it is worth the minimal charge he is charging.

JM 35 Sedan 09-20-2020 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1933394)

Pete, you are 100% correct. Skip Haney's processes and procedures for rebuilding these coils (and his other products) should be considered as proprietary information. These products represent his lively hood, and he does a superior job at a reasonable price supporting our hobby.

Russ/40 09-20-2020 11:07 AM

I like the way you guys think. Best we drop it now.

rotorwrench 09-20-2020 11:30 AM

With most folks, it matters very little on what his procedure or materials are. The bottom line is how well they work and how long they last. All other factors are immaterial. I'm sure most folks would agree on this.

Aarongriffey 09-20-2020 08:33 PM

I sure agree Rotor.
Skip’s coils sure make the car owners happy.
I put two, maybe three NAPA coils on a ‘35 convertible sedan that the owner hated to drive because it would NEVER start when the engine was warm. It had a coil adapter.
Now he drives it every chance he gets and it ALWAYS starts right away, even when still hot.

Bored&Stroked 09-21-2020 07:56 AM

Glad we all tend to agree . . . Skip does great work for a very fair price . . . let the sleeping dog lie . . . ;)

Frank Miller 09-21-2020 08:07 AM

We got way off topic but the above question was fair. The coils are noted for their reliability and if someone wanted to confirm whether a coil was rebuilt by Skip then a resistance test might be in order. It also would tell if a Skip coil was out of spec. Maybe the inquisitiveness was to whether the performance was enhanced.

It is nice that he has provided a quality product at an affordable price. By affordable I mean when the cheaper one fails you cannot afford to say, I should have gone with Skip.

JM 35 Sedan 09-21-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Miller (Post 1933779)
We got way off topic but the above question was fair. The coils are noted for their reliability and if someone wanted to confirm whether a coil was rebuilt by Skip then a resistance test might be in order. It also would tell if a Skip coil was out of spec. Maybe the inquisitiveness was to whether the performance was enhanced.

It is nice that he has provided a quality product at an affordable price. By affordable I mean when the cheaper one fails you cannot afford to say, I should have gone with Skip.

Skip Haney numbers, date codes, and initials every coil he rebuilds. They can be ID'd immediately without the need to measure resistance. Anybody seeking specific information on his coils should call him direct and get whatever information he's willing to share, right from the horses mouth.