The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   model A overheats (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302432)

wagonshed 08-14-2021 02:17 AM

model A overheats

Looking for suggestions on what to do next on my "29 model A speedster. When the air temp is approaching 80 degrees the red of the temp gauge is in the gauge's circle. Temp of high 80-90's she'll boil over. Engine was rebuilt perhaps 10 years ago, newer leak proof water pump, checked timing and carb adjustment and cleaned radiator with permatex radiator cleaner twice. Don't know age of radiator, any suggestions other than replacement? Thanks

ronn 08-14-2021 05:10 AM

Re: model A overheats

I put vinegar in all my rads and wait 6 weeks. seems to work every time. Some guys prefer Evaporust, which works much more quickly, but 90. for a 5 gallon drum.

In any case, it shouldnt be your motor, if it was in fact rebuilt properly.
My roadster was quite stubborn. despite flushing it with vinegar, I had to go back and do it again and the "mud" that came out of it, was amazing. now running as cool as a cucumber!

nkaminar 08-14-2021 07:01 AM

I love my new Bergs radiator. Never boils over.

WHN 08-14-2021 07:59 AM

New radiator needed. Money well spent and another item off the list of “need to do”.

Enjoy.

eagle 08-14-2021 08:36 AM

Make sure you're running the spark lever properly. Pull it down until you hear it ping when pulling hard, then up a click or so, just enough to stop the ping. Most model a radiators are crudded up, if you can't get it clean replace it. You dont want to ruin your new engine.

Dougs 28 08-14-2021 09:21 AM

Buy a Bergs radiator, they work great..!

ddweave 08-14-2021 09:30 AM

X3 on Bergs. I never have to add coolant and it never overheats.

700rpm 08-14-2021 12:02 PM

You could time a draindown of the radiator which would indicate how well it flows. I can’t remember what the preferred time result is, but I’m sure someone here can give a better description of the process and desired time.

Or you might find that test procedure here: http://www.fordgarage.com/

Gene F 08-14-2021 12:38 PM

wagonshed, it is almost always the radiator. I must say, I had the same symptoms with the radiator on my car after I bought it years ago. It had a Sears 2-row radiator in it.

Big hammer 08-14-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonshed (Post 2045707)
Looking for suggestions on what to do next on my "29 model A speedster. When the air temp is approaching 80 degrees the red of the temp gauge is in the gauge's circle. Temp of high 80-90's she'll boil over. Engine was rebuilt perhaps 10 years ago, newer leak proof water pump, checked timing and carb adjustment and cleaned radiator with permatex radiator cleaner twice. Don't know age of radiator, any suggestions other than replacement? Thanks

Check the accuracy of your temperature gauge, coolant level below the baffle, advance the timing with the hand lever, water with antirust added will run cooler by 20-25 degrees!!!

Guys he wants answers other than replacing the radiator.

Stingray70 08-14-2021 02:20 PM

Check for and remove any restrictions like a thermostat. Make sure you don't have a 2 row radiator.

1crosscut 08-14-2021 04:36 PM

First lets determine what the temperature of the coolant actually is.
Pick up an inexpensive dial meat thermometer and stick it directly into the coolant through the radiator neck.
Knowing the actual temperature rather than it's in the red is important.

By the number of posts that you have I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are new to the Model A engines.

Many new to the hobby tend to fill their radiators very close to the top and as the coolant warms up it expands and will push out through the overflow tube. This looks a lot like it is overheating when it is actually not.

You do not need to or want to "fill" your radiator. Just keep an eye on the coolant level and resist the urge to put more in as long as the top of the tubes in the radiator remain covered with coolant. The engine will push out excess coolant until it finds the level it is comfortable with.

As far as coolant it is hard to beat a 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water.

It is possible that you have a head gasket that is leaking. At temp and under load blow by can push water out too.

Have you checked the torque on the head nuts?

Gene F 08-14-2021 05:59 PM

Yes, if you get bubbles in your radiator you have a head gasket that is seeping combustion gasses into the water jacket. And that surely will heat things up.

TerryH 08-14-2021 06:00 PM

If you have a lot of tubes in your radiator really plugged, vinegar or other solutions will likely not clear……the only sure way to unclog them is to have it rodded, by someone who knows how to do it. My radiator had over 20 tubes totally plugged, had it rodded, and all but a few were cleared…..no more overheating!

Synchro909 08-14-2021 06:27 PM

http://liquidintelligence.com.au/pro...m-cleaning-kit and read and believe what they say about cleaning out the cooling system. A kit is enough for 2 Model As so maybe you could share. Remember, the prices are in Australian dollars so it would be about 3/4 that number in US dollars.
My brother in law has used it and we couldn't believe the results.
I have no association with the company.

wagonshed 08-15-2021 04:16 AM

Thanks for all the great replies, I now have a number of new things to verify, sometimes half the problem is just knowing what to do.

J Franklin 08-15-2021 11:47 AM

Synchro909, thanks for the link, it is an interesting product and a great site with a lot of info.

Tom Wesenberg 08-15-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 2045884)
Check the accuracy of your temperature gauge, coolant level below the baffle, advance the timing with the hand lever, water with antirust added will run cooler by 20-25 degrees!!!

Guys he wants answers other than replacing the radiator.

LOL so true, but the radiator might be the only fix. Try cleaning it first. I cleaned my original 1928 radiator by running with vinegar for a month. It made quite a mess, but did clean it.

Ernie Vitucci 08-15-2021 03:43 PM

Good afternoon Tom...How much Vinegar did you use in the system? Mixed with water or was it all vinegar? Thanks, Ernie in Arizona

Tom Wesenberg 08-15-2021 04:22 PM

Ernie,
I use 2 gallons of vinegar, which as I recall was about 5% acid. The vinegar took the off the grease on the lead packing seals and made the original water pump leak and make a mess all over my engine. I cleaned it with diesel and WD-40. If my water pump would have had the double lip seal, it probably wouldn't have made the big mess, so now I use the seal for added protection on my water pumps.

I bet doing a search for "Tom Wesenberg engine mess" will turn up pictures of it.