The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   steering click (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200609)

fordmerc7 07-16-2016 08:56 AM

steering click

when turning the steering wheel I hear and feel a "click" or "snap" - only at low speed, car barely moving e.g., getting out of garage. The click may repeat itself as I move and turn a bit.Never at driving speed.
Steering box full of oil.
Any causes to look for?

SeaSlugs 07-16-2016 09:14 AM

Re: steering click

where is the click coming from? front axle? left/right side? inside the vehicle? watch your light rod and make sure it isnt hanging up and "snapping" back like a spring.

Tom Wesenberg 07-16-2016 09:30 AM

I would check the steering to frame 2 mounting bolts and the pitman arm bolt needs to be very tight.

Mitch//pa 07-16-2016 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's hard enough finding noises in person, over the Internet it would have to be a lucky guess.. I would have another person stand near the car to help locate the area of the noise while it is happening or I can loan you my chassis ears

Marshall V. Daut 07-16-2016 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently repaired a 1930 Coupe that had the same clicking symptom. Upon disassembly of the two-tooth unit, it was discovered that the sector teeth had such deep grooves worn in them from chassis grease having been used as the "lubricant", that there was actually a measurable gap between the teeth and the worm gear. When the steering wheel was turned initially, the click we heard was the gap being closed as the metal-to-metal teeth and worm gear ridges suddenly collided. Replacing the worm and sector gear solved the problem and also reduced steering slop significantly.
Once you disassemble your steering unit, you may find the sector teeth look like the ones in this photo. A new gear is positioned next to the well-worn one for comparison's sake.
Marshall

John Stone 07-16-2016 12:44 PM

My brother had a clicking sound in the steering. He found the key was too small for the steering wheel and shaft keyways.

fordmerc7 07-17-2016 07:37 PM

OK lots of things to check. The click almost feels as if it is at the top of the steering column. The light rod doesn't move, mounting bolts and pitman arm are tight. However, this steering box leaks and the car is new to me, so I don't know about previous lubricants. I agree that a personal on-site experience is best , but I have been helped on many occasions by comments on the forums and I remain grateful and willing to ask for help.

JOHN CT 07-17-2016 07:52 PM

I had that same problem. I only heard a click at low speed when I turned the steering wheel I heard and felt it through the steering column and what I found was a crack in the driver side engine pan. Where it bolts to the oil pan. I installed a new pan and click gone! Easy fix. So check the engine pan.

SeaSlugs 07-18-2016 06:44 AM

could be a cracked steering column tube...

Barry B./ Ma. 07-18-2016 08:00 AM

I had an occasional click coming from the upper part of the steering and like John Stone mentioned it was a worn key. Best to remove the wheel and check the key and tightness of the nut.

V4F 07-18-2016 08:10 AM

check the frame bolts first . ez check & will cause clicking

katy 07-18-2016 11:14 AM

Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the sector shaft (where the pitman arm is connected to the steering box) and see if it moves up and down. If it does this shows that either the sector shaft or the bushings, or both, are worn and need attention.

larrys40 07-18-2016 11:26 AM

lots of good suggestions above. I think one of the most common is as Tom said, the frame to box bolts not as tight as they should be and the pitman arm not as tight as well. I have noticed that the new sector housing that are being supplied with the oil seal DO NOT fit as tight as they always should... and varies as sectors vary in size.
As Marshall had said worn/defective parts as sectors and others can also cause a noise. Sea slugs also pointed out that it's very common for steering tubes ( outer sheetmetal tube ) to crack and break. With the engine running when driving you just don't hear the issue as much.

keep the tires down on the ground and get someone to help rotate the steering wheel a little ( play, and past play) and you will probably pinpoint where it's coming from.
also check all tie rod ends, end to tie rod bolts for tightness and steering arms both tight at the tie rods as well as at the spindles. It's good practice to just carefully inspect everything on the front end. Not that this is your problem but it's amazing how many have loose spring perch nuts and you can actually see space between the axle and the wishbone. Tighten all up as needed.

Hope you find it!
Larry Shepard