The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pertronix Nightmare (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297887)

backrodebob 04-27-2021 10:42 PM

Pertronix Nightmare

Read a lot of pros and cons about Pertronix, had to see for myself. 1st one come in look like someone tried to install , wires cut! sent it back!! 2nd one installed NO SPARK! contacted customer service, this guy I talked to is in the wrong business! pretty much said I didn’t know what I was doing, that I installed it wrong, finally got him to email me how to bench test the unit. needless to say the unit tested bad. they say the third time’s the charm, not in this case! When it came in I benched tested it and it test good, finally!! Installed and it fired up, ran for about 5 minutes then died??? sent it back and back and staying with “POINTS”

50fordcoupeman 04-27-2021 11:02 PM

Re: Pertronix Nightmare

Have had perfect luck with two sets...............

koates 04-28-2021 03:14 AM

Pertronix units are very reliable on 12 volt cars. What car are you running it on and what voltage? Ignition coil must be a match for the Pertronix unit. If the coil pulls to much primary current then the Pertronix unit could be damaged. I think you have other issues apart from the Pertronix unit. Regards, Kevin.

chuck stevens 04-28-2021 05:52 AM

I have never been left along the road with a set of points!!!

millersgarage 04-28-2021 06:53 AM

Never had an issue with Pertronix

Ford Freak 04-28-2021 07:46 AM

Over the yrs. I have had Pertronix in a half dozen various cars w/no problems.
They were all 12 volt, used correct Pertronix coil, & were the "Igniter 2" model. - F F

325w 04-28-2021 07:50 AM

Used one in a GM distributor. Used the coil they said. Coil got so hot you couldn’t touch it. Contacted GMC buba. He told me to use a ballast resistor. Car was sold and still doing fine.

chap52 04-28-2021 08:09 AM

Ran Petronix in my 52 truck(12 vv-t) for 15 years and only had one "suspected" issue. Called them and the guy I spoke with helped me zero in on the real problem and all went well fo the next 14 years... Just like buying bananas some look good on the outside and then.... Chap

Frank Miller 04-28-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck stevens (Post 2011568)
I have never been left along the road with a set of points!!!

Tell me how you get that condenser going. Why I switched. Brand new echlin completely quit on me. Good thing I was home.

I was never a fan of pertronix until I started getting bad condensers. Figure if I had to run questionable stuff go with something that does not need adjusting.

Charlie ny 04-28-2021 08:33 AM

Re: chevy dists converted to 8BA....any customers who wish electronic ign over pts & cond I request they order the Pert and forward it to me so the warranty is in their name.
I strongly recommend the HALL effect version the reads the breaker cam lobes and
not the unit that uses a relucter ring. I use the NAPA coil 12v IC 14 2.8 ohm.
Charlie ny

Veeder 04-28-2021 10:50 AM

I stronfly suggest points especially if you want to use the stock coil. The Dwell period with a pertronix unit is about 50/50 on a helmet distributor.
I actually believe the reason they want you to use the ignitor coil (especially with 6 volt systems) I'd because of the dwell period.

But as always I could be wrong but I had one unit fail and have gone back to points.

Bob l

38bill 04-28-2021 10:57 AM

Just wondering what are you guys running for plug wires?

backrodebob 04-28-2021 11:23 AM

everything was installed according to there tech department?? what else can I say!

tubman 04-28-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38bill (Post 2011663)

Packard 440 and Rajah spark plug terminals (from "The Brillman Co.").

51 MERC-CT 04-28-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38bill (Post 2011663)

With Pertronix ignition on an 8BA, 7mm Spiral wound wire to help prevent radio interference to the electronics as per Pertronix.

Ronnieroadster 04-28-2021 02:40 PM

Pertronix has worked perfectly in every one of my cars for years. Pertronix conversions are used in the many vintage engines we run that have set numerous Land Speed Records.
Many customers have also had excellent success with the Pertronix conversions. HOWEVER the Pertronix unit will die if there's a short in the cars wiring. Its shocking your so unsuccessful with the conversion.
Ronnieroadster

1948F-1Pickup 04-28-2021 06:19 PM

Pertronix have the same reliability issues they had 30 years ago
when they were called PerLux. Solid state electronic stuff doesn't like
intense searing heat, like what you find inside a distributor. Electronic devices
like good grounds and you may not have good ones with a distributor.
Those are my basic issues with Pertronix.

To those that have had good fortune with their stuff I say good for you.
My experience has not been that positive.

Bob T 04-28-2021 07:15 PM

No problems in three different cars. One is over 25 years old

drolston 04-28-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 2011681)
With Pertronix ignition on an 8BA, 7mm Spiral wound wire to help prevent radio interference to the electronics as per Pertronix.

Fried my Petronix while troubleshooting that turned out to be bad spiral wound ignition wires. I went back to points and copper ignition wires. Tubman condenser to insure against that crap shoot of reliability. The all copper wires setup completely jammed my satellite radio. Switched out the one foot coil to distributor high tension cable to spiral and got my radio back. Evidently it does not take much length of spiral wound to suppress the static. Runs great.

tubman 04-28-2021 08:15 PM

I had the same experience. Had ignition interference in the radio with all Packard 440. Replaced the coil wire with suppression wire and problem solved. You wouldn't think it would have made that much difference, but it did.