The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Flush oil/anti-freeze mix from crankcase? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266257)

katy 07-13-2019 10:16 AM

Flush oil/anti-freeze mix from crankcase?

I'm currently in the process of pulling the head from my A to replace a suspect head gasket.
A few days ago I came home from a 20 mile run and noticed light green "goop" dripping from the flywheel housing, upon checking the oil it was the same goop up to about 1/2" over the full mark.
Running 50/50 water/antifreeze I'm concerned about getting as much goop out of the engine as possible.
I haven't drained the oil yet and I know I'll have to drop the pan to clean the dipper troughs out.

Any suggestions?

ursus 07-13-2019 11:58 AM

Re: Flush oil/anti-freeze mix from crankcase?

Your antifreeze may well contain silicate compounds that are included as a stop-leak additive. Silicates are abrasive and will damage the rod and crankshaft bearings in the engine. Running the engine can generate enough heat to dry out the water but the silicates will be left in the oil. My preference is to pull the pan and valve chamber cover for a complete cleanout and an opportunity to check everything over, maybe adjust bearings, etc.

J Franklin 07-13-2019 04:17 PM

The oil will float on top of the GOOP. Let it set a few days and drain the oil without running first. Then just leave a pan under it and let it drip for a day or so till dry.

100IH 07-13-2019 10:00 PM

The problem here is the dipper pan and it's 1/2 quart of anti freeze.

J Franklin 07-13-2019 10:58 PM

Drop the pan.

Patrick L. 07-14-2019 08:08 AM

You might try dumping a couple qts of oil thru the distributor hole if you don't want to remove the pan.

That said, if the pan has not been removed in a couple decades then that may be a good thing to do.

Benson 07-14-2019 08:10 AM

blenco

Benson 07-14-2019 12:21 PM

Blenco-2

katy 07-15-2019 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the goop that drained out, about 5 quarts:
The oil/antifreeze/water mix is not separating when left to sit, I'm suspecting that the detergent in the oil is holding it all together.

katy 07-15-2019 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After getting the head off and inspecting the head gasket it looked fine, no signs of leaking. Although #3 cylinder shows signs of being the culprit. Upon examining the head I see that it has an old repair in the combustion chamber. Now to source a replacement head.

katy 07-22-2019 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update. Got a replacement head and installed it. Waiting for a new fan. Pulled the valve chamber cover and cleaned all the goop out of that area. Dropped the pan to clean it and the bottom end and found that some OP had welded the dipper tray in, lousy welding but I'm not about to alter it or try and take the tray out.

Also, I see that the oil drain tube has 2 small (about 3/32") drilled holes in it, about 1/2 way up. I don't think this is normal, should I weld/braze them up?

katy 07-22-2019 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the drain tube w/holes:

jw hash 07-22-2019 02:21 PM

antifreeze will wipe out your bearings. once you get it running, put about five miles on the motor and change the oil. that looks to be a stock head. to me they are not worth repairing. I don`t understand the small holes in the drain tube.

31a 07-22-2019 10:52 PM

drop the pan pull dipper tray and clean

katy 07-23-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31a (Post 1779987)
drop the pan pull dipper tray and clean

In progress.

Quote:

antifreeze will wipe out your bearings. once you get it running, put about five miles on the motor and change the oil.
That's the plan, after I weld/braze up the holes in the drain tube and get it all back together with oil and filter.

Forgot to mention that it has a full flow oil filter.

30 Closed Cab PU 07-23-2019 04:40 PM

What happens to small amounts of antifreeze going through an oil filter? Plug it or will the filter pass the antifreeze? The viscosity is greater, perhaps stops up the filter?

katy 07-24-2019 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

What happens to small amounts of antifreeze going through an oil filter?
In my case the 50/50 antifreeze and oil mixture just blended together, see pic in post #9
The oil filter was full of the same mixture.