The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best way to sell parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294220)

Topher5150 02-08-2021 10:31 AM

Best way to sell parts

I've been trying to sell some odds and ends parts, mainly 41-48 passenger, for a while and haven't been getting too many bites. In my ads I just list the individual parts and what I'd like to get for them. Would I get more interest listing them individually with a couple of nice pics???

Ruth 02-08-2021 11:05 AM

Re: Best way to sell parts

I am a visual type of person so I always like pictures. I know a lot of people don't like eBay (and yes, I hate that the big vendors post hundreds of new parts, Like MAC's). But I have had good luck selling some spare parts on eBay.

1928Mik 02-08-2021 11:05 AM

I was always taught in advertising that 'pictures are worth 1,000 words' and it seems to work for me!

katy 02-08-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher5150 (Post 1983102)
Would I get more interest listing them individually with a couple of nice pics???

Probably, it's worth a try.

redmodelt 02-08-2021 11:17 AM

If they are small parts or even larger, here is a sample of a good way to do it; https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19010
As the parts are sold, use the edit and mark them sold. Part of selling is keeping the ad updated, marking items or ad as sold. These ads never go away and you don't want someone a month or more asking if you still have it. Don't put any contact info in the ad, do it all by PM or email for at least first contact.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-08-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher5150 (Post 1983102)
I've been trying to sell some odds and ends parts, mainly 41-48 passenger, for a while and haven't been getting too many bites. In my ads I just list the individual parts and what I'd like to get for them. Would I get more interest listing them individually with a couple of nice pics???

Specific Social Media sites are your friends for selling stuff.

redmodelt 02-08-2021 11:29 AM

Yes Facebook has specific pages for different year groups. The car forums I am a member of, politics and personal attacks are strictly forbidden. Some pages allow items to be sold on them or you can try Facebook Market place.

McMimmcs 02-08-2021 11:34 AM

Social media sites make far more sense than Ebay and it’s at no cost!

ronn 02-08-2021 11:43 AM

I have a 41 convertible for sale for a year now............cheap.

dont think there is that much interest in those years. Now a 40 ford coupe..........

1931 flamingo 02-08-2021 01:16 PM

Ah, the "Holy Grail" besides the 32. That's why I now have one again, sold both my 32 5W and the first 40, both Olds powered, when I got married in '72.
Paul in CT

[email protected] 12-02-2021 07:33 PM

Interested in 41 sedan parts. Trying to reach you Email at [email protected]

Nick

48fordnut 12-03-2021 08:48 AM

Try a sister site. Jalopy Journal. HAMB.

Chris in WNC 12-03-2021 08:57 AM

for anything that can be shipped easily, eBay has always worked well for me; although their fees continue to escalate beyond what is reasonable.

for everthing else, Fordbarn classifieds are my first choice, backed up by MARC/MAFCA classifieds.

Oldbluoval 12-03-2021 09:05 AM

There’s quite a few repeat sellers on FB that cannot/ do not post pics. I generally just disregard their posts. Maybe my mistake but back and forths just don’t work for me. I suppose if I needed it bad enough…….

nkaminar 12-03-2021 09:49 AM

I am a very paranoid internet user and don't use Facebook or any of the other social network sites (the Barn excepted). So ads there would not reach me.

What about swap meets?

burner31 12-03-2021 07:13 PM

As much detail / information about the item as possible...always seems to work for me

ronn 12-04-2021 05:47 AM

for anything that can be shipped easily, eBay has always worked well for me; although their fees continue to escalate beyond what is reasonable.

why I now only use them to sell cars. that is a bargain.........

mhsprecher 12-04-2021 07:43 AM

Trains, boats and planes: EBay, Facebook, Craigslist, Fordbarn, club sites. I have found that car parts do well on eBay.

Kevin in NJ 12-04-2021 08:37 AM

It has been my experience that eBay is really the only way to move parts of the generic types. If you are trying to sell something special that is in high demand you can go anywhere, but depending you might not make the money you expect.

The more common parts for max price are best sold on eBay. Unless you are in an area with a large population or can offer economical shipping.

It is a fair amount of work to get proper pictures, establish a realisitic price for your market and make up a listing for any classified ads. If you live in the middle of nowhere and want to sell stuff it has to be worth the gas for someone to travel. You might have to thing selling for half or less the value of what you might find on eBay or someone near population.

I am sort of near population in Southern NJ and have problems selling parts. I have wholesaled large amounts of A parts just to move them. Setting up a website and dealing with individuals can get trying. Something about having your location listed in several places and people still asking for your location after several emails to only then realize it is too far away.

eBay fees run 20% I believe now adays. Even still often that will still result in more money for a given part then trying to sell on your own. It takes some research to find out what will work for you.

I should mention, the biggest factor on people listing items is a complete lack of realistic idea of value. A Model A headlight shell that is dented and rusty is not worth $100. The Ford script wrench does not sell for $100, though I have tried to sell those guys wrenches for $50 so they can double their money.

Also rememeber you are not going to get it right all the time. Sometimes you are low and sometimes you are high. It evens out in the end.

WHN 12-04-2021 02:15 PM

I have used eBay for the last few years to sell off all my odds and ends. Used pictures on everything. Sold items I never felt would sell. Be careful on shipping costs.

Enjoy.