The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '32 Woodie "survivoration" project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284223)

ro 07-18-2020 10:57 AM

'32 Woodie "survivoration" project

Hey, all. I thought I'd start a new thread for my woodie project. I'm not sure how interesting it will be for folks, but I'll share the story and some pics. We'll just see what does, or doesn't, happen with it. :)

ro 07-18-2020 11:20 AM

Re: '32 Woodie "survivoration" project

There's a good chance some of you have actually seen this wagon before, albeit in pieces. It was hauled to Hershey in 2011 in pieces. It was purchased there and resold to a new owner in California. While there, new structural pieces were made by Wood 'n Carz. This includes the main roof supports and all of the pillars. New rear quarter belt line was also produced at that time. From California, it was acquired by an owner here in Kansas. This owner, who I've had the pleasure of becoming friends with, installed a '32 b motor in the wagon.

Shortly after purchasing the woodie, I was very fortunate to locate a set of original doors and belt line in Pennsylvania. The plywood and trim had been replaced incorrectly back in the 1950's, so I have installed new birch panels. I have not yet sourced the maple to create the new trim. I'm also purchasing a passenger rear fender from Connecticut. So, if anyone in that area is coming to Kansas, please let me know. I would love to find a good ride for it. :)

Well, there's a little background for 'ya.

ro 07-18-2020 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sawzall shared this pic with me. He took it at Hershey in 2011

ro 07-18-2020 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These were taken when the car was in CA.

ro 07-18-2020 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is when I bought it. A few pieces were swapped/added along the way.

ro 07-18-2020 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I found some nice original paint on the backside of a hinge. It is the Manilla Brown, suggesting the wagon was an earlier production using leftover '31 paint. BTW, a huge shout out to DavidG for his expertise. I reached out to him early on and he has been great about sharing his knowledge. Thank you, sir. The wagon's "AB" serial number also supports the idea that it was an earlier production.

ro 07-18-2020 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the doors as they appear today.

DavidG 07-18-2020 01:45 PM

You're welcome!

Those doors are an incredible find.

GB SISSON 07-19-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1910523)
You're welcome!

Those doors are an incredible find.

Pretty much needles in a haystack. They are in excellent condition!

ro 07-19-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1911180)
Pretty much needles in a haystack. They are in excellent condition!

I feel very grateful, for sure. Credit goes to the previous owner who had the wisdom to hang onto them. They are the guiding force to my decisions. Whatever part I'm sourcing or redoing will need to "look right" with those doors.

V8COOPMAN 07-20-2020 12:02 AM

Hey ro …...I sure do like where this is headed, for what little that's worth! DD

rockfla 07-20-2020 06:51 AM

SO.....Ro, question is??? In picture #1 post 4 the cowl and fenders are clearly black with surface rust trough on the some of the metal.....Pic#2 (which I saw on ebay) the car is still black. Pic#3 the car looks to be mostly in "primer" grey?? Unless the lighting has affected that picture?? SO how do we get to what looks like an "original" paint on the cowl, hood and radiator shell in the last picture you posted Pic#4?? Just curious?

ro 07-20-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1911198)
Hey ro …...I sure do like where this is headed, for what little that's worth! DD

That's actually worth quite a lot. A little encouragement can only help with something like this :)

ro 07-20-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 1911230)
SO.....Ro, question is??? In picture #1 post 4 the cowl and fenders are clearly black with surface rust trough on the some of the metal.....Pic#2 (which I saw on ebay) the car is still black. Pic#3 the car looks to be mostly in "primer" grey?? Unless the lighting has affected that picture?? SO how do we get to what looks like an "original" paint on the cowl, hood and radiator shell in the last picture you posted Pic#4?? Just curious?

You are correct about the car being in primer. The fenders are still in primer, actually. As for the rest of it, I need any professional painters in the crowd to please not be offended by my unprofessional methods :). Primer was removed revealing the aged metal. Fortunately, the primer was only applied as a protector, and the metal had not been heavily worked ahead of that. I matched the paint to the original on the back of the hinge. Here's where it gets unconventional. I applied paint using a brush. When the paint was mostly dry, I coated it with wd40 and rubbed it with my bare hands and fine sandpaper removing any brush strokes. I experimented with coating some places with wd40 before painting which made the paint adhere more randomly, which made for a natural looking paint loss pattern. Once I'm happy with the final look I will protect it with a satin clearcoat.

rockfla 07-20-2020 10:03 AM

Cool.....It's gonna be a nice completed project when you get done. As DavidG said, I am amazed you found the doors for it!!! Good luck with it!!!! Gonna be fun to see it finished!!!

ro 07-20-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 1911299)
Cool.....It's gonna be a nice completed project when you get done. As DavidG said, I am amazed you found the doors for it!!! Good luck with it!!!! Gonna be fun to see it finished!!!

Appreciate the support! Got a ways to go, though, before she's finished :-)

GB SISSON 07-20-2020 11:08 PM

I would get the flattest matte clear coat you can find..... not satin. Then buff it up around the fender crowns, the doors where your arm hangs out the window and other places where old vehicles take a shine. OK, if you want me to be completely honest, I wouldn't clear coat at all. Keep it under cover (no brainer) and take an oily scrap of burlap to the high spots on occasion and polish them up. A plastic coated patina just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me. I DO love your build, just offering 40 years of making and keeping stuff looking old.

ro 07-21-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1911554)
I would get the flattest matte clear coat you can find..... not satin. Then buff it up around the fender crowns, the doors where your arm hangs out the window and other places where old vehicles take a shine. OK, if you want me to be completely honest, I wouldn't clear coat at all. Keep it under cover (no brainer) and take an oily scrap of burlap to the high spots on occasion and polish them up. A plastic coated patina just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me. I DO love your build, just offering 40 years of making and keeping stuff looking old.

I totally appreciate your thoughts on this. To be honest, I really haven't put much thought into the final coat. My reference to satin was basically me saying "not glossy." :-) I definitely want to keep it looking old, and it does have a nice look when I'm done with my rather unconventional approach. My other concern was whether my paint job would hold up good enough without any protection. However, If it's not outside for long periods of time, a little maintenance now and then might be good enough. I could also make tweaks to the look, if desired, rather than having it locked in place under a clear coat of something. Thanks again for your thoughts!

ro 07-29-2020 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, there's still a looooong way to go . . . but I'm starting to get a feel for how it's going to come together. Still hunting parts, so please keep that in mind. I have a wish list on the swap forum. I did get a rear fender from Greg in CT. Just need to get it home now. :)

One front fender had been blasted before primer. The other had four different colors under the primer. I wish there was more original paint on them, but to be honest, there is something about old bare steel that speaks to me when it's not over-worked. For now, I'm going to enjoy as is.

GB SISSON 07-29-2020 10:23 PM

You are off to an amazing start. I love it!