The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   F-1 Owners: Door weatherstrip. Any good? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145305)

GreenMonster48 07-25-2014 12:36 PM

F-1 Owners: Door weatherstrip. Any good?

I've been debating whether or not to replace the weatherstrip that runs the preimeter of the doors. Mine is not in great shape, but I've had nothing but bad luck with reproduction products for this truck, especially the rubber stuff.

Anyone done this recently? What was your experience?

Ken Arms 07-25-2014 01:06 PM

Re: F-1 Owners: Door weatherstrip. Any good?

I bought a set from I think Dennis Carpenter, it seemed to be decent quality, must be glued in place, I used a 3m bond made for the purpose. Kit included the piece that runs along the bottom of the cab door sill, that was a pain to replace since its in a channel. Ken

NealinCA 07-25-2014 01:13 PM

My dad just did this on his F1. He had to use a heat gun to get parts of it to fit right, but he is very happy with the final result. He now has to roll down a window to close a door it seals so tight!

Neal

Ken Crans 07-25-2014 04:25 PM

I am finding out that C&G in Cali has the best rubber products.Used 3M glue and blow drier.Tape in place till dry. The seals are slightly big but will shrink in time.Might have to readjust striker plate for new seals.

joe plumber 07-25-2014 04:29 PM

I got mine from LMC Truck 5-6 years ago.

waterboychuck 07-25-2014 06:12 PM

I did my 48 F1 and it fit very well. I don't remember where I bought it but I think that there is only one company that makes it and all the rest sell it.

Ross F-1 07-25-2014 06:30 PM

Almost positive mine was from C&G but in a DC bag. Perfect fit to the door. No problems closing the doors, because it turns out my doors don't fit the opening correctly...

As I recall, someone just came out with hollow-core door seals for the 48-52's, don't recall who tho.

Do those lower door seals actually touch the door on any of yours? I know 4 guys (incl. me) that there's an 1/8" gap all along them.

pineapple 07-29-2014 10:15 AM

I used Dennis Carpenter on mine, they fit fine, glued in place. At first, like Neal said, I had to roll down the window to close the door, after about 6 months they compressed a bit, now it's only cold weather that gives me trouble. I'm happy with the quality.

Matt.

GreenMonster48 07-29-2014 10:51 AM

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

I love your truck, Pineapple!

pineapple 07-30-2014 10:03 AM

Thanks a bunch! Green Monster.