The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   spark Advance (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288792)

Durango 10-17-2020 09:41 AM

spark Advance

Will too much spark advance (30 degrees+) increase the combustion chamber
temperature on my Model A engine?
Durango

Jim/GA 10-17-2020 11:17 AM

Re: spark Advance

In general, yes.

There are other factors that will also influence combustion chamber temperature, such as fuel/air mixture, compression ratio.

Patrick L. 10-17-2020 03:31 PM

Actually late timing will increase combustion temps. Advance in the mid-30's is just fine.

40 Deluxe 10-17-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1942568)
Actually late timing will increase combustion temps. Advance in the mid-30's is just fine.

Yep. In fact, an old trick to get more heat from an exhaust manifold heater was to drive with the timing lever up. You could get the manifold to glow red!

Y-Blockhead 10-17-2020 08:44 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3d7217047e.jpg

PalAl 10-18-2020 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1942619)
Yep. In fact, an old trick to get more heat from an exhaust manifold heater was to drive with the timing lever up. You could get the manifold to glow red!

What a great picture............ I have never seen that!
Sure tells the story, WHEN YOUR HOT YOUR HOT!
Thanks for sharing

Patrick L. 10-18-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1942646)

Boy that'll warm ya up on a cool day !

Licensed to kill 10-18-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1942619)

Which might be a good thing to do if you plan to pull the manifold nuts/studs on any old engine. Retard the timing, run until the manifolds get red hot then shut her down and remove the manifold nuts/studs the next day. Once it is red hot it might be a good idea to advance the time and run until the manifold cools to normal operating temp before shutting down to perhaps reduce the chance of cracking the manifold.

Purdy Swoft 10-18-2020 10:50 AM

I wouldn't want mine to get so hot that the exhaust manifold glowed red hot .

[email protected] 10-20-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1942646)

I remember when I got hold of my first Model A (30 Deluxe Coupe) and had to do a valve job on it before driving it. I invited my next door neighbor to go on the maiden voyage of my car after I had the engine put all back together and got it running. Half way around the block on this initial drive, he started asking me if the engine compartment should be looking cherry red hot as he was looking through the manifold heater hole in the firewall. I was sooo green on the ways of Model A's way back then I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. All I was concerned with at that time was making it around the block and back home in the garage without a tow truck.

Then after several more timing jobs and playing around with the carburetor settings, I finally got the red out without resorting to using Visine...... That was over 35 years ago and I think I haven't had that issue since. :D

Thanks to all of the good guys that are teaching us all how to PROPERLY time the rotor / disti. Several good and different timing methods are out there but use what works best for you...

WHN 10-20-2020 04:26 PM

I am at a total loss for words.

60 years with these cars. Never have I seen anything like that. Why!

Enjoy.

Patrick L. 10-20-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1943519)
I am at a total loss for words.

60 years with these cars. Never have I seen anything like that. Why!

Enjoy.

Late timing and lean mixture.

WHN 10-20-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1943578)
Late timing and lean mixture.

I understand that, but why would you do that to your car?

I would love to hear the reason.

Enjoy.

Synchro909 10-20-2020 08:04 PM

It's probably not intentional. I'd say someone forgot to advance the ignition but kept driving at fairly high speed - well, as fast as they could go with the timing that retarded. Maybe the GAV was screwed too far in and maybe it all happened on a tour?

Bob Bidonde 10-21-2020 08:08 AM

Will too much spark advance (30 degrees+) increase the combustion chamber
temperature on my Model A engine?
Durango

The max advance with a stock distributor is 20 degrees which is 40 degrees at the crankshaft. 30 degrees at the crankshaft is only 15 degrees at the distributor and is good for low speed driving. Please explain where the 30 degrees advance is applicable to.

Purdy Swoft 10-21-2020 10:28 AM

There will be a very noticeable loss in power before the exhaust manifold begins to turn red . I adjust the distributor cam so that the trailing edge of the rotor tip points at the number one contact in the distributor cap when the timing pin drops in the dimple on the cam timing gear . I adjust the points gap at a maximum gap of twenty two thousands and the timing will be very good .

Patrick L. 10-21-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1943580)
I understand that, but why would you do that to your car?

I would love to hear the reason.

Enjoy.

Well I'd like to hear the reason too. They probably don't mean to do it, they just forget, or don't know. It can start from improper base timing as some seem to have trouble with that.

Cape Codder 10-21-2020 11:13 AM

There is a Gentleman on YouTube that is saying he adjusts his timing by first setting the spark control down one click rather then having it set to the absolute top as most do.

Has anyone tried this and if so is there any great improvement of power etc.?

Purdy Swoft 10-21-2020 11:24 AM

If the starter bucks when attempting to start the engine , the initial timing is too advanced or the spark lever isn't properly retarded . I fully retard the spark lever when starting the engine . Ford said full advance at speed .

Patrick L. 10-21-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1943762)
There is a Gentleman on YouTube that is saying he adjusts his timing by first setting the spark control down one click rather then having it set to the absolute top as most do.

Has anyone tried this and if so is there any great improvement of power etc.?

Thats fine, it doesn't make much difference, it's a couple degrees.