The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Preston “ALL VEHICLES” Antifreeze (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287878)

shew01 09-28-2020 04:23 PM

Preston “ALL VEHICLES” Antifreeze

Green antifreeze is hard to find in my area. This Prestone says it’s compatible with IAT (I think that is the old fashioned green antifreeze that I would normally buy), OAT, POAT, and HOAT antifreeze.

What do you think?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...de21436e85.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...dc0ad85318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jg61hawk 09-28-2020 05:51 PM

Re: Preston “ALL VEHICLES” Antifreeze

Probably doesn't matter in these old birds but FYI Amazon sells all types of antifreeze.

ryanheacox 09-28-2020 07:13 PM

If you have a Walmart near you they should have the standard old green coolant. The universal stuff might be fine but some of the “long life” flavors will eat the solder in the old radiators these cars have.

shew01 09-28-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1936269)
If you have a Walmart near you they should have the standard old green coolant. The universal stuff might be fine but some of the “long life” flavors will eat the solder in the old radiators these cars have.

I was at Walmart when I posted. They no longer carry the green stuff in my store.

I have a brand new radiator from Bratton’s. Do you think its solder will be an issue with the universal Prestone?

ryanheacox 09-28-2020 08:04 PM

Wow, I’m amazed they don’t stock it. I would call prestone tech support to be sure. It’s not worth taking the gamble, especially on a new radiator.

Doug Linden 09-28-2020 08:26 PM

How about your local autoparts store, they should have some brand of GREEN ethylene glycol (which is an IAT opposed to OAT/HOAT compound) antifreeze.

shew01 09-28-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1936295)
Wow, I’m amazed they don’t stock it. I would call prestone tech support to be sure. It’s not worth taking the gamble, especially on a new radiator.

Walmart only had a short supply of Prestone green when I purchased my last bottle some months ago. They don’t have any other green either.

shew01 09-28-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Linden (Post 1936297)
How about your local autoparts store, they should have some brand of GREEN ethylene glycol (which is an IAT opposed to OAT/HOAT compound) antifreeze.

I’m guessing that supplies of green IAT will continue to dry up. I’m just wondering if the “universal” antifreeze would be harmful to our old cars or not. I don’t have any experience with it, but I thought someone on the forum would have some experience with it.

Dennisfly 09-28-2020 09:45 PM

Fisher Auto Parts in Louisa, VA carries it and there is a Fisher's in Troutville, near you, that should have it or can get it.

Brad in Germany 09-28-2020 11:02 PM

I use Sierra antifreeze made by Peak.

https://peakauto.com/wp-content/uplo...9289430785.png

It is an IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology) based antifreeze so it will not harm the gaskets, babbit, rubber, brass, copper, lead, pot-metal, etc found in a stock Model A engine and cooling system. It is also made with propylene glycol (PG) which makes it less toxic and thus safer for humans, pets and wildlife (and yes, I hugged a tree today ;) ).

The down side of IAT based antifreeze (like Sierra) is that it has a two to three year service life before it should be changed out (the IAT corrosion inhibitors degrade in two to three years).

Universal, long-life antifreezes contain OAT (Organic Acid Technology) based corrosion inhibitors which last a long time (up to ten years)...... but being OAT based, it is not something I would put in my stock Model A. Also its long life properties get downgraded to the two to three years when mixed with trace amounts of IAT based antifreeze.

....and by buying "Pre-Diluted 50/50" antifreeze, you are just paying extra for a half jug of water! For a better value, buy the full strength antifreeze and mix it yourself.

....that is my $0.02,
Brad in Maryland

Steve Plucker 09-28-2020 11:18 PM

Same as Brad...Have used it for years. Might cost a little more than the regular but is safe on animals.

Just bought some from NAPA.

Pluck

shew01 09-29-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisfly (Post 1936324)
Fisher Auto Parts in Louisa, VA carries it and there is a Fisher's in Troutville, near you, that should have it or can get it.

That was very kind of you to check for a Fisher. Thank you.

[email protected] 09-29-2020 07:46 PM

In my area NW Illinois, the Menard’s stores all stock this “Conventional Green” antifreeze. Less than $9.00 / gal. typically. Mix 50 / 50 with pure water.

We are expecting our first frost this Friday here. Time to drain the water out of those radiators. Seen a lot of ruined blocks, heads, and radiators due to someone forgetting to drain and change to antifreeze this time of year...

Menards® Full Strength Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon
Model Number: MENARDS-MNA003 Menards® SKU: 2611992

Harpkatt 09-29-2020 07:56 PM

Is the "green stuff" really going away? I've never heard of this problem.

shew01 09-30-2020 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpkatt (Post 1936663)
Is the "green stuff" really going away? I've never heard of this problem.

I think it’s a function of available shelf space. There are now so many types of antifreeze (OAT, HOAT, POAT, IAT, etc.) for newer and older cars. Some antifreeze types are incompatible with each other.

IAT has been diminishing here for a while. It makes sense that store would want to carry fewer varieties if they could sell a “one size fits all” product.

Green IAT may be around for a while, but it will probably become harder to find because fewer and fewer IAT cars will be around to create a market it. Kinda like ethanol free gas is still around in small quantities, but you have to hunt for it.

ryanheacox 09-30-2020 09:35 AM

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...w-or-orange-or

This is an older article but it does go into the effects on solder just a little bit. My main takeaway, unfortunately, was that when in doubt, flush the system and go with conventional green coolant. It also sounds like G-05 coolant would be okay if you can find it.

Y-Blockhead 09-30-2020 02:26 PM

I use Peak "Green" Anti-freeze "formulated for older automotive applications". Available at ACE Hardware stores I would guess nationwide? https://www.acehardware.com/departme...tifreeze/87336

Ernie Vitucci 09-30-2020 04:00 PM

Good Afternoon...I use the same Peak from ACE Hardware...No problems in my 1931 A or 1949 Packard with an Aluminum Radiator...Ernie in Arizona

henry's 31 09-30-2020 04:15 PM

Also try Advance Auto and Car Quest if you have them in your area.

ronn 10-01-2020 04:56 AM

glad to find this out here- will stock up on "green"