The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rebuilt Engine Tag - Thought I'd Share (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281312)

tomii 05-19-2020 06:43 PM

Rebuilt Engine Tag - Thought I'd Share

Hey, gang!

After a long pause (like, 5 years) I'm back to rebuilding my truck.

The engine was previously rebuilt, and I thought I'd share this tag (off the block) with you.

http://modela.burke.tv/Pics/20200222/EngineTag1.jpg

I can't find any good serial numbers off the block - looks like they've been scraped off

chrs1961815 05-19-2020 07:30 PM

Re: Rebuilt Engine Tag - Thought I'd Share

This is interesting - I have never seen anything pike it. I know Ford had replacement engines that many dealers had lying around (I have seen a few of these NOS ones). Would it have been more cost effective to rebuild the engine or give the owner a new one at the time?

mcgarrett 05-19-2020 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Model A engine that I was told by a knowledgeable Model A guru it was likely produced as a Service Replacement block. He said the serial number indicated it was produced somewhere around 1937-38 for that purpose. Not sure if this information is 100 % correct, but interesting.

Bob C 05-19-2020 09:20 PM

Looks like around April 1937.

40 Deluxe 05-19-2020 10:14 PM

Ford had a number of authorized rebuilders around the country for many years-I haven't kept up to know if they still do. They rebuilt anything that was rebuildable: engines, transmissions, starters, generators, distributors, fuel pumps, water pumps, carburetors and more. These were all available at your local Ford dealer. Each part had a decal that looked like a blue ribbon with the words something like "Ford Authorized Rebuilder". Plus engines had a metal tag that usually listed cylinder overbore size and crankshaft undersize. These parts were very common.

Jack Shaft 05-20-2020 07:58 AM

High volume production rebuild facility..dicey quality,installed a bunch of ford late model V8's (70's,80's) that either performed well or went to hell quick.

garyjohn 05-20-2020 08:46 AM

I am running a factory replacement motor with a number that indicates it was built in 1934

Jim Brierley 05-20-2020 02:14 PM

From 40 deluxe ... Ford had a number of authorized rebuilders around the country for many years-I haven't kept up to know if they still do. They rebuilt anything that was rebuildable: engines, transmissions, starters, generators, distributors, fuel pumps, water pumps, carburetors and more. These were all available at your local Ford dealer. Each part had a decal that looked like a blue ribbon with the words something like "Ford Authorized Rebuilder". Plus engines had a metal tag that usually listed cylinder overbore size and crankshaft undersize. These parts were very common.

These authorized re-builders is where the "BB" cranks came from. They installed the pressed-on counterweights.

Benson 05-20-2020 02:49 PM

Has anyone had a BB crankshaft ground RECENTLY?

How much extra do they charge to remove and replace the weights?

Synchro909 05-20-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 1889935)
Has anyone had a BB crankshaft ground RECENTLY?

How much extra do they charge to remove and replace the weights?

Why would you remove the weights unless they overhang the journal.? I haven't seen one of those cranks to know what the weights are like but if they don't overhang, leave them alone.

Flathead 05-20-2020 05:58 PM

They do overhang, takes the fun right out of regrinding one. :(

gdmn852 05-21-2020 10:49 PM

Hello, I recall a friend in the 1970s that had a Model A Truck with a W.E.Smith Erie Pa authorized Ford rebuilder metal tag riveted on block near the oil fill . I believe it had sizes that it was bored to on it .

Joe K 05-22-2020 07:09 AM

My 29 CC pickup had a RED engine with ABSOLUTELY no number. Never had and the number pad shows the sand graining of the casting process.

As the truck came to me with 143K miles on the odometer and the red engine was worn out this agrees with a 2nd engine probably from Sears or possibly another aftermarket source.

EVERYTHING was painted red - water pump, generator (long type but with "holes" in the back-plate) starter, head. Distributor was black. But that may be original or at least Ford stock from whenever.

Joe K

old31 05-22-2020 08:34 AM

Joe, we all know that a red engine automatically adds 10HP!

But I thought that all replacement engines did not have serial numbers, they were blank.

Does anyone have proof of this statement?

pj's junkers 05-22-2020 09:07 AM

I have seen several Fred Jones Rebuild tags.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-22-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flathead (Post 1889998)
They do overhang, takes the fun right out of regrinding one. :(

Yes, ...and for the record, removing weights, straightening the crank, grinding journals, reinstalling weights, straightening/checking the shaft again, -and balancing are all a part of refurbishing a BB crankshaft.

tomii 05-22-2020 06:16 PM

Update.

While painting the block, I found a matching serial number (34334) stamped just below the head, near the front. Pictures here:

Serial Number

Close-up