The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Electrical Issue (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284443)

Chuck Dempsey 07-22-2020 12:44 PM

Electrical Issue

I've got a 1929 Tudor, with its 1930 engine with alternator, that's standard in every other way. After driving at least ten minutes and stopping, it will not crank back up. At first, it will fire over once, then nothing else. After three or four of these, it won't fire at all. When I take the distributor off, and wiggle the points, I get plenty of spark out of the coil. After letting it sit around 30 minutes, it fires back up. I thought the original coil might have been the issue, so replaced it with one from Snyder's. That didn't help any..... The new coil feels hot to the touch, but it is summer, in North Carolina. Any ideas?

Thanks

Patrick L. 07-22-2020 12:52 PM

Re: Electrical Issue

Just to see if I understand correctly. The engine will crank, but, the engine will not start.
When it won't start have you immediately checked for spark ?

Off hand without any more info, I'm thinking either vapor lock or condenser.

Chuck Dempsey 07-22-2020 01:24 PM

The engine turns over fine with the starter. I get ONE cylinder fire, then nothing else. I Did check for spark quickly after that, and it looks fine then....

Patrick L. 07-23-2020 05:26 AM

When the engine is hot and won't start have you tried choking it ? Does the carb throat get wet ?

Benson 07-23-2020 07:34 AM

Re: Electrical Issue- Hot engine starts and using the choke.

pm sent 20500

Jack Shaft 07-23-2020 07:56 AM

Check primary wiring to coil,use test light on powered side see if light goes dim with key on.

rotorwrench 07-23-2020 09:45 AM

Test light function would depend on whether the points are open or closed. Most folks used to carry a spare condenser. Ford put it in one of the hottest places on the engine. Fowled spark plugs can show up if the engine is using some oil or running a bit on the rich side.

Bob Bidonde 07-23-2020 09:50 AM

If all else fails, replace the rotor. There is a sneaky hi-voltage leak path from the rotor contact to the distributor cam that cannot be seen, and may be erratic with changes in temperature.

I would also suspect the condenser.

Chuck Dempsey 07-23-2020 12:01 PM

I replaced the condenser yesterday, and on my single test so far, that fixed my issue. The carb was getting gas, and I tried different combinations of choke and no-choke. Hopefully the condenser was the issue, but if not I'll run through your various suggestions....

Thanks again!

old31 07-23-2020 12:26 PM

The best condensers are from A&L.

Tom Endy 07-23-2020 01:25 PM

Small hairline cracks in the upper composite section can also be a possibility. I experienced such a problem years ago. I discovered the problem one day after it was dark when I noticed sparks leaping around the upper section.

Tom Endy

shew01 07-23-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 1912310)
Small hairline cracks in the upper composite section can also be a possibility. I experienced such a problem years ago. I discovered the problem one day after it was dark when I noticed sparks leaping around the upper section.

Tom Endy

Are you talking about the rotor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick L. 07-23-2020 05:03 PM

I Think Tom is talking about the composite distributor housing or distributor cap.