The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   V8 lockable gas cap. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250438)

OHV DeLuxe 08-29-2018 07:23 AM

V8 lockable gas cap.
 

2 Attachment(s)
Who made this very cool V8 locking gas cap? The key and cylinder is Star brand.
I suppose it is an aftermarket item? i have not seen this type before.

Kube 08-29-2018 09:35 AM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHV DeLuxe (Post 1668739)
Who made this very cool V8 locking gas cap? The key and cylinder is Star brand.
I suppose it is an aftermarket item? i have not seen this type before.

They have been on eBay quite frequently. One, about a year ago, set a "stupid" record and was sold in excess of $2000. There is currently one listed on eBay.
These were an after-market offering and not authorized by Ford. And, in reality, not all that rare. A friend of mine has a box full of them in various conditions.

OHV DeLuxe 08-30-2018 03:13 AM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

Ok thanks! that is what i thought, cool looking though, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Brian 08-30-2018 05:10 AM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

I've had two of them, [my avatar photo is of one], sold one to a guy Todd, who used to hang out on here. The other one is fitted to my 35. The V8 logo on the cap matches the 35 version on the hubcaps. Unable to answer your question about manufacturer, but agree, they are nice!!

Kube 08-30-2018 07:52 AM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1669168)
I've had two of them, [my avatar photo is of one], sold one to a guy Todd, who used to hang out on here. The other one is fitted to my 35. The V8 logo on the cap matches the 35 version on the hubcaps. Unable to answer your question about manufacturer, but agree, they are nice!!

I agree that they are cool!

Not $2000+ cool, but cool nonetheless :)

modelafords 08-30-2018 02:11 PM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

The one that was on Ebay this week sold for $613!!

Ian NZ 08-30-2018 04:58 PM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

Are these caps vented or non vented underneath because a cap for a 1935 Ford V8 should be non vented.

Brian 08-30-2018 09:58 PM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

Ian, The cap is vented, but I'm running a '36 tank.

Tinker 08-30-2018 10:08 PM

Re: V8 lockable gas cap.
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1668803)
They have been on eBay quite frequently. One, about a year ago, set a "stupid" record and was sold in excess of $2000. There is currently one listed on eBay.
These were an after-market offering and not authorized by Ford. And, in reality, not all that rare. A friend of mine has a box full of them in various conditions.


Kube my favorite ebay bait and switch is the repro item in a old original box.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.