The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tattersfield, a piece of history. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292854)

russcc 01-11-2021 08:06 PM

Tattersfield, a piece of history.

Several photos of Tattersfield heads if you have not seen them. These were on the old 59AB stock car motor in the roadster. The engine owner kept the heads and dual Tattersfieold manifold when I got the motor. The stock car they were on was run in the '50s & 60's. The 59 was bought from the Falconi Bros. in 1970 when they went to an overhead. At the local tracks they ran the engine had to be stock bore & stroke, stock cam, but aftermarket heads and manifolds were allowed. It also had an aluminum flywheel, which may or may not have been legal. I checked the lift of the cam, and it was stock, but whether the profile was stock or not, I have no way of telling.

KiWinUS 01-11-2021 08:53 PM

Re: Tattersfield, a piece of history.

1 Attachment(s)
V8/60 Tattersfield heads on engine in my hoard.

Tim Ayers 01-11-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiWinUS (Post 1972993)
V8/60 Tattersfield heads on engine in my hoard.

Thanks for sharing. Tattersfield 85 hp heads are rare. V8 60 heads are like hen's teeth

Flathead 01-12-2021 04:51 PM

Isky sold a "cheater" cam for these applications, stock lift but more duration. Catalog said it "would not pass a visual inspection", but if only the lift was checked while in the engine you were OK.
I believe the Tattersfield heads stated out as Tattersfield-Baron, Baron's name on the right where the firing order is on these heads.
Stay safe Russ. :)

rotorwrench 01-12-2021 05:10 PM

Tommy Thickston designed stuff like that but some design was likely done after his death in 1946. Tattersfield & Baron got the tooling after Tommy died. The intake manifolds may have been more popular than the heads but there still out there. The Thickston stuff was red and the Tattersfield & Baron stuff was hammer tone blue

russcc 01-12-2021 06:35 PM

Next time I get by where the heads are I will take a couple photos of the combustion chamber. They are very small compared to even the original 8.75 CR Navarro heads on the 59. These were vintage 1950's or 60's, so not sure who was making them them. Across the top of the heads was "Electric & Carburetor Engineering, LA CA.

birdball 01-31-2021 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are my SAE heads- I was told they shared the molds from Tattersfield either before or after they were done with them... I have the 2x2 intake as well. I’m curious if that too is similar

Attachment 454424

russcc 02-01-2021 10:20 AM

I saw a set of those SAE heads at Hershey a few years back. I can't recall the name of the Mfg., but I believe E stood for Engineering in the company name on them. They sure look a lot like the Tattersfield ones.