The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lights mounted on fenders? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286611)

McMimmcs 09-03-2020 04:33 PM

Lights mounted on fenders?

Were the lights mounted on the fenders called clearance lights. Were they original equipment in the U.K. & C. Are they available as aftermarket? Thanks in advance.

Bob C 09-03-2020 04:51 PM

Re: Lights mounted on fenders?

They were called Fender Lamp A-13200 I think these were for US.
Fender Lamp RH AF-13202-B and Fender Lamp LH AF-13203-B I think
were foreign.

McMimmcs 09-03-2020 06:27 PM

Did they come standard on some models or were they special order?

jimalabam 09-03-2020 08:28 PM

Special order or dealer installed...

McMimmcs 09-03-2020 09:47 PM

Are they available from any of the vendors?

Synchro909 09-03-2020 10:29 PM

With an amber globe fitted, they would make great turn indicators.

McMimmcs 09-03-2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1927368)
With an amber globe fitted, they would make great turn indicators.

I am thinking the same thing. Great minds think alike.

redmodelt 09-04-2020 12:54 AM

If you can find a set!

john charlton 09-04-2020 01:41 AM

They were required by law in the British Isles as they marked the front end of a vehicle where as cowl lights do not . In some areas when parked overnight the "parking lights" had to be left on this led to an aftermarket little lamp with a very small bulb clipped to a side window . Red to the back and white to the front .This law lasted into the late fifties .My English built built 68B cabriolet has factory fitted fender lamps but no cowl lamps and the cowl is not drilled to take them . Cowl lights were not legal as they did not mark the front of the car . The 180A de luxe phaeton in the museum in US has cowl lights but these would have been fitted after the car was imported .I bought a 28/29 fender lamp at the Qualcom meet in San Diego it is identical to my English ones . English fender lamp lenses are violet tinted but this American lamp is USA yellow tint which I found very interesting .

John still in Suffolk County England .

john charlton 09-04-2020 01:58 AM

I do not understand why the fender lights would be handed left and right as indicated by the part numbers . I have never ever seen any variation in construction that is for both 28/29 and 30 onwards maybe an offset at the base which must be very very slight .They are very very hard to find here, the headlights are very easy to find but not the fender lights I recently sold a pair of 30/31 (mild steel commercial) for equiv $ 400 and the buyer was very pleased it finished his grandfathers AA truck restoration . The passenger car stainless would have made much more .

John in the same place .

McMimmcs 09-04-2020 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1927384)
I do not understand why the fender lights would be handed left and right as indicated by the part numbers . I have never ever seen any variation in construction that is for both 28/29 and 30 onwards maybe an offset at the base which must be very very slight .They are very very hard to find here, the headlights are very easy to find but not the cowl lights I recently sold a pair of 30/31 (mild steel commercial) for equiv $ 400 and the buyer was very pleased it finished his grandfathers AA truck restoration . The passenger car stainless would have made much more .

John in the same place .

Thank you for that interesting information. I had no idea they would fetch that much money for a set of used.

john charlton 09-04-2020 04:06 AM

Typo on my last should read "fender" not "cowl"

Still John.

dave in australia 09-04-2020 04:20 AM

Some Australian states also had parking light laws which meant that extra lights were fitted to the front mudguards(fenders). In Victoria, the tail light had to be externally switchable if a separate light was not fitted. This switch was often mounted on the rear RH mudguard(fender).

katy 09-04-2020 10:50 AM

Any pictures available?

Synchro909 09-04-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave in australia (Post 1927394)
Some Australian states also had parking light laws which meant that extra lights were fitted to the front mudguards(fenders). In Victoria, the tail light had to be externally switchable if a separate light was not fitted. This switch was often mounted on the rear RH mudguard(fender).

That was so to ensure that the driver knew the light was working. If it was all done from inside the car, the driver would be unaware that the light wasn't working and with only one tail light in those days, the back of the car would be unlit

katy 09-05-2020 10:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I think these lights were fender mounted:

Jembow 09-05-2020 04:10 PM

That's the sort that John from Suffolk mentioned, fitted usually on the B door pillar right hand side purely as a parking light. (Do you use that nomenclature in the US? A pillar is the one by the windscreen, B pillar is behind the front door)

Synchro909 09-05-2020 05:21 PM

Chrysler used those between the two doors on their higher end Phaetons. Much sought after.