The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Manifold/Muffler Joint (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283260)

Curtis in MA 06-27-2020 02:09 PM

Manifold/Muffler Joint

Should the connection be solid or have some movement?
Mine moves about a half inch at the bottom and I have tightened the bolts all I can.

burner31 06-27-2020 02:37 PM

Re: Manifold/Muffler Joint

You need to tighten that up.
Get new clamps/bolts if needed, are you using a sleeve, is the tail pipe flange seating on the manifold correctly?
If it's loose...it's leaking

Bob C 06-27-2020 02:56 PM

Do you have the clamp on the right way, there is a top and bottom.

Patrick L. 06-27-2020 03:33 PM

Like the fellas said, they're correct.

I cut a gasket from asbestos, well, I guess that stuff is illegal, so I cut up a welding glove. [ it feels, smells, looks and tastes like asbestos]

ryanheacox 06-27-2020 04:12 PM

I had that same problem. I filed both clamp halves where they meet just a hair and now I have a tight leak free joint.

chrs1961815 06-27-2020 05:08 PM

Are you using a repro clamp?

Werner 06-27-2020 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
N'Abend Curtis,
I use exhaust sealing putty together with the cup ring. If the contact pressure is too low, you must use washers.

Curtis in MA 06-27-2020 05:50 PM

I don't know what is in there. It was put on sometime ago by my father. I just noticed it was loose.
I'll try to take it apart.

WHN 06-27-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1903487)
Like the fellas said, they're correct.

I cut a gasket from asbestos, well, I guess that stuff is illegal, so I cut up a welding glove. [ it feels, smells, looks and tastes like asbestos]

Mike’s has them, they are under $2.00. Looks like asbestos but isn’t.

Have used on a couple of Model A’s.

Enjoy.

Ruth 06-27-2020 06:37 PM

I like the new "no-nut" clamp. Easier to install. Not authentic tho.

Synchro909 06-27-2020 06:37 PM

I can't imagine that things are any different in the US from here but I use a muffler putty in there to get a good seal, as has been suggested above. It sets hard and to remove it, I use a wire brush in the drill.
BTW, the exhaust clamp is a #$%^ to install on a RHD car. It has to be just right or the clutch pedal won't go down past it. I put a helicoil in one side and use a shorter bolt which means there is no nut for the clutch pedal to hang up on.

JoeCB 06-27-2020 09:54 PM

This may be unorthodox but has worked fine for me for many years... wrap a 3/4 " wide band of 4 or 5 folded layers of aluminum foil around the joint. install the clamp over this band and tighten. Of course first ensure a good fit of the pipe flange to the manifold. Never had leaks and the foil stays put and is invisible.
Joe B

verdirick 06-27-2020 11:07 PM

My suggestion... Buy an Aires muffler. It will have the correct flange that will fit your manifold. AS far as I know it is the only one on the market that is an exact duplicate of the original Ford blueprint.. I've installed one on two A's, Fit and sound are worth the price

Bob Bidonde 06-29-2020 09:36 AM

The design of the manifold to muffler assembly joint allows for some movement, but not much. It is a semi-ball type joint. The muffler assembly develops a lever bending action on the joint, so it needs to be somewhat flexible and allow some rotational movement of the muffler assembly to dissipate the lever action.
Unfortunately, the design lacks a seal, so we have a habit of over tightening the joint. When the joint prohibits movement, the lever action causes the manifold to bend downward and eventually crack between cylinders 3 & 4.

Ray in La Mesa 06-29-2020 10:01 AM

Per JoeCB & verdirick, I run an Aries muffler, orange RTV on the joint & wrap it with tinfoil and it works great.

Jerry in Shasta 06-29-2020 09:39 PM

I took mine to a muffler shop and had the flange bent to a true 45 degress and bend from the flange to the muffler bent to a true 90 degress. Works great with no gasket.

vern hodgson 06-29-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCB (Post 1903606)
This may be unorthodox but has worked fine for me for many years... wrap a 3/4 " wide band of 4 or 5 folded layers of aluminum foil around the joint. install the clamp over this band and tighten. Of course first ensure a good fit of the pipe flange to the manifold. Never had leaks and the foil stays put and is invisible.
Joe B

Ditto on that

vern hodgson 06-29-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1904291)
Ditto on that

Position a floor jack under the pipe bend to hold it in position.

Brentwood Bob 06-30-2020 12:10 PM

Also, besides the jack support, the flange on the exhaust pipe may need some altering with a ball peen hammer, and the end of the manifold filed.