The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trail Tech TTO Tachometer (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260677)

30 Closed Cab PU 03-20-2019 03:38 PM

Trail Tech TTO Tachometer

1 Attachment(s)
Friday am going to the Model A shop, will be test driving and doing initial break in on a rebuilt motor and testing other things they have done.

Will be installing an internal battery powered Trail Tech TTO Tach using Velcro. Only one lead to install. Picture attached.

I've done a quick search unsuccessfully
- how many times per motor revolution does a spark plug fire?
- How many times per motor revolution does the distributor High voltage wire fire?

Planning on trying wrapping a spark plug lead with electrical tape a few wraps, and then wrapping the Tach inductive lead around the tape. If does not work try wrapping around a spark plug ceramic insulator. If does not work try wrapping around the distributor wire.

If you or someone you know has used one of these would appreciate hearing of your experience, and any tips you may have.

Knowing how electrically noisy the A ignition is, not sure what the chance of success are.

Chris Haynes 03-20-2019 07:53 PM

Re: Trail Tech TTO Tachometer

A single spark plug fires once per two engine revolutions. Intake, compression, power, exhaust takes two revolutions.

- How many times per motor revolution does the distributor High voltage wire fire?

The high voltage wire will fire 4 times during two engine revolutions.

katy 03-21-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

2 times per revolution

Joe/Ct 05-23-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1738442)
Friday am going to the Model A shop, will be test driving and doing initial break in on a rebuilt motor and testing other things they have done.

Will be installing an internal battery powered Trail Tech TTO Tach using Velcro. Only one lead to install. Picture attached.

Planning on trying wrapping a spark plug lead with electrical tape a few wraps, and then wrapping the Tach inductive lead around the tape. If does not work try wrapping around a spark plug ceramic insulator. If does not work try wrapping around the distributor wire.

If you or someone you know has used one of these would appreciate hearing of your experience, and any tips you may have.

Knowing how electrically noisy the A ignition is, not sure what the chance of success are.

I am also looking to add a tach to our '28 roadster. How did this unit work out for you?

JtownJoe 05-23-2020 09:55 AM

I have had a Westach Tach on my 30 Tudor for about 8 years and love it. Easy install and comes with a Steering column mount that is easy to read between the steering wheel spokes, can be used on 6 or 12 volts with only the light bulb needing to be ordered as the selected voltage for brightness. Their website will provide all needed info.

30 Closed Cab PU 05-23-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe/Ct (Post 1890935)
I am also looking to add a tach to our '28 roadster. How did this unit work out for you?

Worked out good, do not know how accurate it is since I did not check it. There is a slight up date time, so RPMs are not displayed instantaneously (every second or two) . I was interested in a cheapo for seeing where my personal shift points are, and for setting up the carb idle.Had to program differently than I though so it would display correctly (do not remember the details). Had to use less wraps around the spark plug wire than instructed (think too much electrical noise messed up the readings. I got the cheapo - non replaceable battery, no back light. Hard to see with polarized sunglasses. I mounted mine with Velcro, so can take it off - have to order the right model that has a flat back), Velcro used so no need to drill holes. Nice thing about this one is you can order it with longer leads, extra length was need the way I routed the wires. Most LCD tachs are supplied with very short wring and usually warn you not to splice on longer wiring - reasons not given in their documentation. Can not be turned off to conserve battery, but is still working. I could move it onto the dash plate so it is illuminated by dash light for night driving.

30 Closed Cab PU 05-23-2020 10:52 AM

Alos - I wrapped the lead around the coil/distributor wire.

old31 05-24-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JtownJoe (Post 1890942)
I have had a Westach Tach on my 30 Tudor for about 8 years and love it. Easy install and comes with a Steering column mount that is easy to read between the steering wheel spokes, can be used on 6 or 12 volts with only the light bulb needing to be ordered as the selected voltage for brightness. Their website will provide all needed info.

x2..

Nosetime 05-24-2020 09:29 AM

I have a new Westach for sale in the swapmeet forum.

CarlG 05-24-2020 08:44 PM

I have an AutoMeter Tachometer (12 volt) in my pickup. Works / looks great.