The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New gaskets - cardboard (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282011)

Will D 06-02-2020 07:05 PM

New gaskets - cardboard

Hey guys, I got a few new gaskets sets for trans, steering box, Speedo...... They are made in China with what appears to be cardboard/ cereal boxes. I've read on here guys saying to only use gasket sealant if the mating surface has issues or the gasket leaks. With this cardboard, do you think they will seal fine or should gasket sealant/ dressing be used?

JSeery 06-02-2020 07:25 PM

Re: New gaskets - cardboard

Question, where did the gaskets come from? If not a reliable source I would suggest talking to someone like Mac VanPelt or 3rd Generation and getting better parts. I don't think you are going to like it if you have to pull it and redo it later if there is an issue. The steering box gasket have to be specific sizes to set the bearing loads.

Will D 06-02-2020 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1894935)
Question, where did the gaskets come from? If not a reliable source I would suggest talking to someone like Mac VanPelt or 3rd Generation and getting better parts. I don't think you are going to like it if you have to pull it and redo it later if there is an issue. The steering box gasket have to be specific sizes to set the bearing loads.

Yes, trying to avoid doing it all again, not that practice isn't good...:D

Unfortunately Mac auto parts. I tagged them onto an existing order. They had Denise carpenter logo covered up on the packaging.

The steering box top gasket is thick and appears solid but the multiple smaller gaskets to set bearing load are thin brown paper.

At least my banjo gaskets are made by Best gasket.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1591145522

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1591145524

Jack E/NJ 06-02-2020 08:09 PM

>>>I've read on here guys saying to only use gasket sealant if the mating surface>>>

They look fine. If they were mine, I'd use wheel bearing grease for the sealant. Jack E/NJ

cmbrucew 06-02-2020 08:34 PM

I have made good gaskets from the sleeve Victor head gaskets came in. Good clean mating surfaces is the key.

Bruce

alanwoodieman 06-02-2020 09:20 PM

the company I used to work for made the paperboard for gaskets. it was heavily calendared and treated with sizing to resist migration of what ever was being sealed. still have several small rolls of this paper that I make gaskets from now. you can make really good gaskets from krispi kreme doughnut boxes!

cas3 06-02-2020 10:02 PM

some folks accuse me of liking beer, but really, i just need the boxes for making patterns and occasionally gaskets.

J Franklin 06-02-2020 11:09 PM

Those look completely legit and usable. If they dyed the stock red or some other color you wouldn't be skeptical.

fordor41 06-02-2020 11:11 PM

we used to use brown paper bags for thin gaskets. never leaked.

Will D 06-03-2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1894986)
Those look completely legit and usable. If they dyed the stock red or some other color you wouldn't be skeptical.

Haha so true.

Will D 06-03-2020 12:59 AM

So just some grease, no permatex sealant/ dressing or such needed?

flatford8 06-03-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will D (Post 1895005)
So just some grease, no permatex sealant/ dressing or such needed?

For me it would depend on the surfaces........if both sides are smooth and flat, I’d use grease....any rough parts or if I questioned a smooth fit....a LITTLE permatex.....Mark

Angledrive 06-03-2020 11:49 AM

The thin gaskets are for setting the bearing preload. Do not use gasket sealer.

JSeery 06-03-2020 01:48 PM

You need to be careful using gasket sealer on any application where it can be squeezed into places it can do harm!

cmbrucew 06-03-2020 06:18 PM

My auto shop instructor, said 60 years ago. a little permatex on the removable part only, to hold the gasket during assembly. Makes life easier when you next work on it.

Bruce

tubman 06-03-2020 06:25 PM

I have been using cereal boxes for gasket material since at least 1957.

Will D 06-03-2020 07:54 PM

Thank you for all the input.

GB SISSON 06-04-2020 09:34 PM

I save the backing on a yellow legal tablet for gaskets. The shiny side of cereal boxes, like where it says 'wheaties' always seemed like it wouldn't seal as well as the porous side. The legal cardboard IS a bit thick for some applications, so I like the brown paper bag suggestion..

Tinker 06-05-2020 01:42 AM

You can get stock sheets of gasket material from napa, packs with cork and versions sizes and material. It's nice to have on hand if you do a service or want to replace certain little things. It takes a bit of time to cut out with a exacto knife and using a fuel line punch for holes. But not a big deal really. Depending on material a bit of oil or perm spray goes a long way. RTV gooping is overkill. In my thinking.

Looks like a good set of gasket you have. Don't over think it. Use them. Oil will get to them if they need it. Dry install.

Tinker 06-05-2020 01:50 AM

Think you are complaining to just complain. Look like great gaskets to me! Not sure how you set bearing/worm load on a steering box with a gasket?