The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Windage Tray (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284598)

carryinwood 07-26-2020 10:14 AM

Windage Tray

Just wondering if a Flat Head would benefit with the use of a Windage Tray...Im building an engine for Bonnevillie. I don't see alot of info on this subject.

Thanks for any input.

Bored&Stroked 07-26-2020 11:09 AM

Re: Windage Tray

What a flathead (or really any engine) can benefit from is a complete dry-sump oiling system - but that gets into a few more bucks. We converted our Flathead Cadillac over to a dry-sump system for Bonneville . . .

Ronnieroadster 07-26-2020 12:58 PM

While Dale has written about the best way to do this being the dry sump idea. I can tell you from first hand experience a correctly designed windage tray would benefit the flat head.

Bored&Stroked 07-26-2020 04:52 PM

Having a windage tray a custom fitted scraper and an oil pan that is designed to keep oil on the pickup is never a bad idea. I recently built a stout 383 SBC for my 32 three window - am running a road-race oil pan (holds 7 quarts and has "trap doors" to keep oil on the pickup. I then added a Milodon Diamond Stripper windage tray (really nice product). On the dyno it held over 100 lbs of oil pressure at full throttle up to my redline of 6200. Myself and the dyno operator were very happy on how consistent the oil pressure was (we made 20 pulls) - obviously there was no foaming or other issues. The engine made 516 HP with just 195 heads, a hydraulic roller cam and a "standard" QuickFuel carb.

Checkout Milodon's windage products - you could probably retrofit one of their standard products or they might sell you the material to make your own Also you'd want to increase your side clearance a bit on your rods to keep plenty of oil running through them. Also, you should setup your lower end for true racing clearances on both the rods and mains -- loose is good, loose is fast! LOL

JSeery 07-26-2020 06:04 PM

I've seen information on flathead windage trays somewhere, but can't remember where at the moment. So, the information is out there.

V8 Bob 07-26-2020 07:28 PM

The '49-'51 Mercury flathead came from the factory with a windage tray.

Tim Ayers 07-26-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8 Bob (Post 1913422)

Yes. Someone is selling one on the HAMB. He has the often missing piece for the oil pump. If I ran 8BA's, I'd be all over it.

petehoovie 07-26-2020 07:54 PM

The pan in the '34 was equipped with a windage tray....

Ronnieroadster 07-26-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8 Bob (Post 1913422)

That style oil pan is an excellent platform to build from for a competition application.

Pete 07-27-2020 12:13 AM

While dry sump oiling should be one of the most essential items in a race engine, a wet sump engine can be made to compete. It just takes more work if you want to extract the available hp. A tight scraper and windage tray are essential. A vacuum pump alone is normally not recommended on an OHV engine but they definitely do work on a properly modified flathead. The return oil path is very important so as to not interfere with oiling of critical parts like the valve springs and pistons.

JWL 07-27-2020 06:43 AM

Pictures of making a proper scraper and oil pan can be seen in my book. It is NOT a simple job and each stroke/rod combination will need a different pattern. A "universal" system could be a waste of time and money.

Bored&Stroked 07-27-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 1913504)
Pictures of making a proper scraper and oil pan can be seen in my book. It is NOT a simple job and each stroke/rod combination will need a different pattern. A "universal" system could be a waste of time and money.

That is true for almost any competition engine - as the scraper side of the deal is completely dependent upon the rotating assembly (specific parts). It is surely possible to purchase an out of the box windage tray and oil pan setup (for modern engines), but when you get to the scraper part - be prepared for many hours of manual work.

Ronnieroadster 07-27-2020 02:17 PM

The beauty of the highly modified flathead engine is the many hours of manual work indeed.

Ronnieroadster 07-27-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Just buy a book and your good to go or not. Now thats an idea write a book how to do it in the 21st century. Should be sell out quickly.

JSeery 07-27-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

That is probably the reference I was thinking of!

speedbug78 07-27-2020 08:18 PM

I have been thinking about this too. With a vacuum pump do you recommend a scraper too? I thought at some point it begins starving the wrist pins?

Pete 07-27-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbug78 (Post 1913736)
I have been thinking about this too. With a vacuum pump do you recommend a scraper too? I thought at some point it begins starving the wrist pins?

Yes on the scraper.
The pistons and rods need to be modified for dry sump or vacuum pump.
The oiling system in an all out engine is not an "add one piece at a time" thing.
There are things that are done different even when the amount of vacuum is above or below certain limits.
The keen thing about all of this is, it can free up about 40 hp. no matter what fuel you are using.