The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '35 Coupe 5 window value (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283889)

DaveBPT 07-11-2020 02:31 PM

'35 Coupe 5 window value

Newbie to the early V8's and trying to come up with an offer on a bone stock 5 window '35 Coupe. The paint and body work look pretty good. Interior not too bad but needs a headliner due to stains and a few mouse holes. Motor looks to be original to car but has not been started in years. Needs tires. No idea about brakes etc. I would buy it on the spot except that it wasn't running. Any guesses on what the value of car might be?

KiWinUS 07-11-2020 03:17 PM

Re: '35 Coupe 5 window value

Pics?
Otherwise it’s $3500 to $35000 or less.

19Fordy 07-11-2020 03:26 PM

Impossible to say without photos and details. I would guess $10K max as is.
Make sure all the parts are there. Does the drive train function? No way to know unless you get it running. Lowers price a lot.

leon bee 07-11-2020 05:43 PM

What I'd do is buy it for whatever it takes. And then lie to my wife about what I paid.

TJ 07-11-2020 06:38 PM

If you are a "newbie" and live in Pleasant Hill, Ca. You need to talk to some of the V-8 Club people who live in the area. Perhaps someone from the club will go with you to see the car and give you a second opinion. Don't jump in until you get some advice from people who "have been there". You might also talk with Brandon Flaner who owns East Bay Speed and Custom. He knows those old V-8s backwards and forwards and knows the value..

DaveBPT 07-12-2020 12:46 PM

Fortunately I live in Pleasant Hill, Missouri

TJ 07-12-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBPT (Post 1908451)
Fortunately I live in Pleasant Hill, Missouri

Just for info it is very helpful to us if you list your state. Saves us guessing and you will get a more accurate answer. Don't this wrong, but we are just trying to help. Many of us know people in different states and could refer you to V-8ers who might help you with your decision and may even know the car.

Newc 07-12-2020 03:50 PM

Is that the "Show me " State?. Low taxes I'm told. Stuck in Oregon... beautiful , but run by----- Newc

Automotive Stud 07-13-2020 10:32 AM

From the description I'd say $15K, give or take. But pictures are worth a thousand words.

JM 35 Sedan 07-13-2020 11:07 AM

Dave, take some digital pictures (the more the better) and make arrangements with another member here who is willing to post them for you. Until that happens, you are asking for an impossible "guesstimation".

PS...I am a candidate for posting these pics for you.

50fordcoupeman 07-13-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newc (Post 1908504)
Is that the "Show me " State?. Low taxes I'm told. Stuck in Oregon... beautiful , but run by----- Newc

Exactly!!!

fordwife 07-13-2020 08:50 PM

Can the seller produce a clear title? I don't know about Missouri, but in most states this is important.

RalphM 07-14-2020 12:40 AM

Yes, pictures would be a big help.
But just off the top of my head I’d say 15-20k, but pricing a car without looking at it in person is like going on a blind date, you may not like the results. :)

BTW JM 35 Sedan, love your new avatar picture!

blucar 07-14-2020 12:37 PM

I have to differ with the prices bantered around in this thread. Based on the description made in #1, car not running, paint fair, upholstery poor, etc., I'd say the car is a #5, $4,680. according to the current Car Collector Price Guide.
To bring this car up to #2 level ($27,300) would cost at least $20 k.

DaveBPT 07-14-2020 07:56 PM

I should have posted pictures and will do soon and I did update profile information. Thanks for the suggestions.

kiwitony 07-15-2020 05:38 PM

As blucar said factor in at least 20k to get on the road and then offer what your budjet allows. These old fords are great money soakholes. But also a 36coupe is one of the prettiest cars around.

35 5window 07-16-2020 09:41 AM

I would ask what the person is wanting and since it doesn't run thats you bargaining tool and since it needs interior thats about 4,000 plus dollars right their so if the engine is not seized up and has compression and oil and holds water in the radiator Pull one of the plugs and see if their is any rust in the cylinders and if clean offer him a low number you can afford because if the engine need to be overhauled too and brakes you will be dishing out a lot of money Somewhere in the 10,000 to 18,000 dollars range. Flathead's are not cheap to overhaul. Brake parts are expensive too. Also crawl under the car if no lift is available and check the rear of the car behind the rear axle and check for rusted out body panels and above the gas tank use a mirror because the spare tire support has a well that collects water if the trunk seal goes bad and they rust out big time and are not easy or cheap to replace. and take a magnet with you not a strong one just a small toy magnet so you can find Bondo patches because these old Fords are generally rusted out and the Quarter panels just behind the doors go away too . Floor boards are a big rust out area and the rear window box that collects water from the rear window rusts out all the time and no one makes that part any more and tend to be a rats nest . A good check of these thing will save you a lot of trouble and money and if the seller starts to get weird walk away He or she is hiding something . Good luck .

JM 35 Sedan 07-16-2020 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1908914)
BTW JM 35 Sedan, love your new avatar picture!

Thank you Ralph. That's actually on the front of a T shirt my son found on the internet and bought me for either Father's day, or my birthday. I had mentioned to him sometime ago that I was looking for a T shirt with a nicely done 35 3w coupe on front, and not some photo picture of wildly colored chrome trimmed street rod. I think he did well, and even sent me a picture of my granddaughter modeling it for me :) :cool: