The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tudie’s starting to start (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314371)

Tudie 36 06-12-2022 05:14 PM

Tudie’s starting to start

It’s me again. Put the new starter on today. Checked it before hand by connecting to Tudie’s 6volt battery. Spun better with what looks like a new bendix (that came of the other starter) than the old one did without. Excitement as I pushed the the button but…. Just a slow drag again, very, very, slow. I jumped with a 12volt from the boat and she fired right up. I’ve cleaned every connection almost, as I was chasing the cables looking for issues I realized I missed the connection at the firewall to starter button, it’s pretty nasty looking. Could this have been the problem all along? Sincerely, Fun but Frustrated in Tennessee.

kurt v 06-12-2022 05:50 PM

Re: Tudie’s starting to start

I've had that problem with my rebuild, went from my pos (grd) to the motor helped a lot spun over better.

koates 06-12-2022 07:19 PM

The first thing to do would be to LOAD TEST the battery with a proper battery load tester. Guess you may not have one of those so take it to a battery shop or an auto electrical shop to test it. Check it yourself with a voltmeter. Voltage should bbe 6.3 volts on a good charged battery. Regards, Kevin.

Tudie 36 06-12-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koates (Post 2138220)
The first thing to do would be to LOAD TEST the battery with a proper battery load tester. Guess you may not have one of those so take it to a battery shop or an auto electrical shop to test it. Check it yourself with a voltmeter. Voltage should bbe 6.3 volts on a good charged battery. Regards, Kevin.

The battery is an Red top Optima. It did need charged. 5.8 Volts. I haven’t had it in a charger for months. Car has a battery shut off. I’ll test again tomorrow. Thanks Kevin.

Ramjet47 06-12-2022 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a slow starting problem and screeching sound on my 1937 221” on first start up after complete overhaul of the engine and starter. I found that the Bendix spring attach bolt was fouling on the starter cup attached to the bell housing, causing drag on the starter and I presume, loss of current going to the coil. These cups have sometimes been slightly dented over the years. I removed the cup and fitted a replacement. Solved the problem, engine now starts immediately at the press of the button. If the car hasn’t been run for a while and is cold, I run the electric pump for 15 seconds, then one pump on the accelerator and press the starter button, starts immediately. Hope this helps.

Tudie 36 06-13-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramjet47 (Post 2138245)
I had a slow starting problem and screeching sound on my 1937 221” on first start up after complete overhaul of the engine and starter. I found that the Bendix spring attach bolt was fouling on the starter cup attached to the bell housing, causing drag on the starter and I presume, loss of current going to the coil. These cups have sometimes been slightly dented over the years. I removed the cup and fitted a replacement. Solved the problem, engine now starts immediately at the press of the button. If the car hasn’t been run for a while and is cold, I run the electric pump for 15 seconds, then one pump on the accelerator and press the starter button, starts immediately. Hope this helps.

I guess the good thing is no noises. Cleaning a couple more connections and checking batteries tonight. I’ll keep all informed. Thanks, Greg

Tudie 36 06-13-2022 06:10 PM

She fired right up!

RKS.PA 06-13-2022 06:22 PM

Love it when a plan comes together!! Good trouble shooting!!

Tudie 36 06-13-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKS.PA (Post 2138501)
Love it when a plan comes together!! Good trouble shooting!!

. Thanks, I hope she’s happy.

tubman 06-13-2022 06:35 PM

Watch out for rebuilts. I was always apprehensive about the starter in my '51. It never failed me, but it seemed to not have the "oomph" it should have. So when I heard that NAPA had a deal on rebuilts I ordered one and installed it. It was worse than the one I took out; it would hardly start the car. I took a swap meet unit off the shelf (it had a "good" tag on it) and put it in. It was much better than either of the others. So i decided to do it myself. Previously, I had ordered a bunch of flathead starter bushings and brushes from Rock Auto on close-out. My neighbor who is into flipping electric golf carts, had obtained a "growler", so we used that to test the armature and found it was good. Turning the commutater and installing new bushings and brushes resulted in a starter that turns the old Ford over like a new 12 volt vehicle.

I took the NAPA unit back, and they gave me a credit like it was normal business. (This on a "No Return" electrical part.)

Tudie 36 06-14-2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2138506)
Watch out for rebuilts. I was always apprehensive about the starter in my '51. It never failed me, but it seemed to not have the "oomph" it should have. So when I heard that NAPA had a deal on rebuilts I ordered one and installed it. It was worse than the one I took out; it would hardly start the car. I took a swap meet unit off the shelf (it had a "good" tag on it) and put it in. It was much better than either of the others. So i decided to do it myself. Previously, I had ordered a bunch of flathead starter bushings and brushes from Rock Auto on close-out. My neighbor who is into flipping electric golf carts, had obtained a "growler", so we used that to test the armature and found it was good. Turning the commutater and installing new bushings and brushes resulted in a starter that turns the old Ford over like a new 12 volt vehicle.

I took the NAPA unit back, and they gave me a credit like it was normal business. (This on a "No Return" electrical part.)

. And I bet it went back on the shelf. For the next happy customer.