The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   back up lights (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221373)

tinkirk 05-24-2017 08:16 AM

back up lights

has anybody ever tried to install backup lights on an A??

Tinkirk/Terry:rolleyes:

kd4lok 05-24-2017 08:30 AM

Re: back up lights

No, but I found recently a small backup light purchase from one of the suppliers in the 80s and never installed.
Installation should be relatively simple if only providing power through an on-off switch.

Hicktick 05-24-2017 08:39 AM

I don't want to know where you go at night and how you park that you would need back up lights .

, My daddy asking about 1972 ,.

Farrell In Vancouver 05-24-2017 09:01 AM

I mounted one on my 31 AA just aft of the pumpkin. Tough to see when reversing in the dark but it work wonders now. Trouble was finding a 3.5" 6 volt lamp to fit the housing I had. A local tractor supply brought one in for me. I mounted a fused switch top of the drivers kick panel with an red light indicator to tell me its on.

Chuck Sea/Tac 05-24-2017 09:44 AM

I have stock yellow brake lights. I was driving down a 4 lane road, with traffic lite's thru federal way wash., when so young guy in a ratty old el Camino pulled up and said "every time you brake, your back up lights come on." I just smiled and thanked him.

tinkirk 05-24-2017 10:42 AM

what i have is a couple of mini diode lights that i was thinking of installing down where a spare tire carrier bolt holes are to plug the holes and, wanting to hook up so when i put it in reverse the light come on like the newer junk of today
have not looked at the shifting part of it yet to see where i can install a switch
Tinkirk/Terry

3.6rs 05-24-2017 11:02 AM

Model A's are supposed to be driven forward ...

duke36 05-24-2017 11:16 AM

have one that resembles a small fog lamp mounted on the rear bumper bracket and operated by a toggle switch

SeaSlugs 05-24-2017 11:41 AM

FYI gotta watch some states - once you add a feature (turn signals, backup lights, seatbelts, etc) not originally from the factory you must abide by current laws and vehicle codes(IE burned out bulbs, not using turn signals, seat belt laws)

I think backup lights and maybe a soft beeper on an AA is a great idea. A hidden switch with a warning light/beeper that they are on is the simplest idea as well.

Patrick L. 05-24-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1476821)
I have stock yellow brake lights. I was driving down a 4 lane road, with traffic lite's thru federal way wash., when so young guy in a ratty old el Camino pulled up and said "every time you brake, your back up lights come on." I just smiled and thanked him.

Yep, thats part of the reason why I switched to all red.

Patrick L. 05-24-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rs (Post 1476845)
Model A's are supposed to be driven forward ...

And here Henry wasted all that time and money having a backwards gear put in his cars. :)

30 Tudor 05-24-2017 12:34 PM

Seems like a good idea,the shift tower is set up so the detent rod for reverse would activate a switch screwed into the end of the casting.

Seems like I have a distant memory of some automatic trans with such a switch on them, maybe a Chrysler TF-6 or TF-8 ,,,,or some ancient cast iron thing?

SeaSlugs 05-24-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Tudor (Post 1476900)
Seems like a good idea,the shift tower is set up so the detent rod for reverse would activate a switch screwed into the end of the casting.

Seems like I have a distant memory of some automatic trans with such a switch on them, maybe a Chrysler TF-6 or TF-8 ,,,,or some ancient cast iron thing?

modern manual trans missions use a ball switch plunger switch setup. screws into the side of the trans and has 2 wires commin out.

CHuDWah 05-24-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1476887)
And here Henry wasted all that time and money having a backwards gear put in his cars. :)

And even a dedicated pedal on the previous model ;)

tinkirk 05-24-2017 12:59 PM

that is kind of my thoughts just need to find the right spot to drill and tap an access hole

Tinkirk/Terry

30 Tudor 05-24-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1476902)
modern manual trans missions use a ball switch plunger switch setup. screws into the side of the trans and has 2 wires commin out.

That sounds like the ticket.
Another item for the salvage yard hunt.

CarlG 05-24-2017 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have back-up lights installed on my pickup. They come on when the transmission is in reverse and the key is on.

Transmission is an RTS 3+OD, already supports back-up lights. The light fixtures were purchased on eBay.

SeaSlugs 05-24-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Tudor (Post 1476919)
That sounds like the ticket.
Another item for the salvage yard hunt.

manual trans S10's and blazers of all years work (82-05). 2 wire switch - grab the connector and as much wire as you can.

Big hammer 05-24-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHuDWah (Post 1476907)
And even a dedicated pedal on the previous model ;)

My grandma said she could not follow find reverse in her T and just parked it so she didn't need reverse :-)

Big hammer 05-24-2017 05:12 PM

FYI when I back up I turn my head lights off, it helps, and if you ride the brakes the extra red light helps!
FYI turning your dash lights down also help to see the road! Ask my brother, he was complaining one night that he couldn't see well. I asked him if he could turn his dash lights down, he did and he said wow i can see better! He then said how I knew that, why would they put a dimmer on dash lights, to see better at night!