The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cost to attend Hershey (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331044)

Incognito-A 09-18-2023 01:49 PM

Cost to attend Hershey

$350 flight from SFO to PHL nonstop, round trip, with seat upgrades on major carrier.

$300 rental car, midsize pickup or SUV from major brand.

$500 Airbnb, fully equipped modern apartment in Harrisburg. That’s for the whole week!!!

That’s $1,150 for one person.

$100 more will get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath in Harrisburg.

Splitting the car and apartment two ways bings it down to $450 each for the week. That’s less than one night at Hershey Hotel.

Lots of options if you want to get your own car etc.

Any takers? I’m booking the Airbnb soon…

nkaminar 09-18-2023 02:15 PM

Re: Cost to attend Hershey

$1,150 will buy a lot of chocolate bars, or parts from my favorite vendor. So what if I drive up there from the Carolinas and sleep in my car and eat at Micky Dees?

Incognito-A 09-18-2023 02:23 PM

Yup, to each his own.

ronn 09-18-2023 02:54 PM

some sleep on the ground and some at the Lodge...........

in the end its all about rust and history and engineering. good fun!

Kurt in NJ 09-18-2023 04:08 PM

full tank of fuel?? who knows how much that will be in a couple weeks
booth on field 100
food from supermarket 100
sleep in car

Incognito-A 09-18-2023 04:20 PM

I appreciate all the comments that keep this post at the top.

The purpose was to find someone who wanted to split costs for a premium experience.

ndnchf 09-18-2023 04:22 PM

I'm camping by the Giant Center with the northern Virginia early V8 club guys. Just a walk across the street to start shopping :-)

ronn 09-19-2023 10:44 AM

premium experience.

think it had the opposite effect...........lol

Incognito-A 09-19-2023 01:21 PM

Seems like it. Compared with sleeping on the ground/in car, no shower for a week and fast food it is a premium experience.

Who ever said Model A people were cheap?!?!?!

I just booked a single so I’m now set. Maybe I’ll find a travel partner for next year.

Tim Ayers 09-19-2023 08:40 PM

For the past two years, I've done the same thing you were offering up with my buddy. I thought it was pretty cool of you to even offer this deal.

We've been booking an Vrbo or similar right in downtown. We love this set up. Generally comes out to $500 each. Well worth it in my opinion.

I've slept in my car, in a tent and in a camper. Nothing like a nice bed after doing Hershey all day.

ronn 09-20-2023 07:18 AM

I think cheap is only part of the equation.

Many people are not comfortable "rooming up" with someone they really dont know.

In Tims case, its a buddy, so it is familiar and comfortable.

noboD 09-20-2023 12:13 PM

As far as I know there are showers in the middle of the chocolate field.

Kurt in NJ 09-21-2023 12:24 PM

some years there are showers everywhere

Tim Ayers 09-21-2023 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 2257041)
some years there are showers everywhere

I'm going to look into this. They use to be at the stadium. If they still offer this, we may sleep on air mattress in the trailer. I'll report back if they still offer showers.

Seth Swoboda 09-21-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkaminar (Post 2256436)
$1,150 will buy a lot of chocolate bars, or parts from my favorite vendor. So what if I drive up there from the Carolinas and sleep in my car and eat at Micky Dees?

If you eat at Micky Dees you might as well eat rats from the dumpster at Hershey Park.

ModelA29 09-21-2023 03:12 PM

I'd need a very long parts list to amortize the attendance cost on a per part basis. Lets see I saved $20 on my $50 part by not buying off the web but spent $1,000+. Guess I'm just one of those cheap Model A guys......

Oldbluoval 09-21-2023 03:39 PM

“If you eat at Micky Dees you might as well eat rats from the dumpster at Hershey Park”

If inflation continues we may all be eating such. I hear there are delicious recipes! Check Food Network!!

WTSHNN 09-21-2023 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 2257042)
I'm going to look into this. They use to be at the stadium. If they still offer this, we may sleep on air mattress in the trailer. I'll report back if they still offer showers.

I think that was a rain joke.

Incognito-A 09-21-2023 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelA29 (Post 2257063)
I'd need a very long parts list to amortize the attendance cost on a per part basis. Lets see I saved $20 on my $50 part by not buying off the web but spent $1,000+. Guess I'm just one of those cheap Model A guys......

You totally miss the point. For myself and others it’s called a vacation and the experience of seeing new things and meeting up with old friends and making new friends. What’s the value there…priceless.

ronn 09-22-2023 04:04 AM

If inflation continues we may all be eating such. I hear there are delicious recipes! Check Food Network!!

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA Thanks for the laughter Bill!
great start to the morning.

yes the showers was a joke, as in it rains at Hershey ALL OF THE TIME!

this thread went kaput real fast......

well Incognito- while your intentions were xlnt, the only suggestion I would give at this point is to start earlier next yr. Many guys plan for this a yr in advance and nobody
seems to be flexible at the last minute. which it is.
Hope everyone has a great time. I will be staying home, though I am only a couple of hours away. Economics being the deciding factor. Also my wheels have worn out....
and so it is. see you all in the funnies!